shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Smitcompton

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Annette,

I had promised you pics of my livingroom once it was done, but unfortunately this LR redo has taken more twists and turns than the Screaming Eagle at Six Flags. (if it's even still there lol) Anywho, after 2 defective pieces of the chocolate brown carpet being taken back, I threw in the towel and went in a whole different direction. Just got my furniture delivered about 10 days ago.

This is what I got out of the choc brown carpeting experience. Several people said it looked "rich". Not that that is important to me, but it conveys that it doesn't look cheap/cheesey. It really did look nice. However, all browns have red in them, it just depends how much. Mine had enough that it had several "moods". From dark chocolate (its actual name), to milk chocolate, to red velvet cake-almost. Not really that bad, but the thing was definitely moody. If I were to do it again, I would make certain it has a strong gray undertone which will cut the red, and any you might consider ask for the absolute biggest sample they can find. I had one that was like 18x24, nice.

Anyway, I didn't want you to think I just ignored you. Good luck in your eventual redecorating. I will link you to a site that has been such a gem in helping me figure out things I wasn't sure about/couldn't visualize. Joining is free and they will send you updates. You can type in all kinds of things in the search box and literally thousands of pics come up. i.e. I searched a ton on monochromatic design as that's the direction I have gone. Such a help.

http://www.houzz.com/

:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Hi, Ellen!!! I think we need to see those pics!!!

Happy Easter!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Ellen - believe it or not I was thinking about your LR redo the other day and wondering why we didn't hear back from you! I was going to reach out to you and ask about it but was afraid you didn't want to talk about it because a) you were enjoying it too much or b) it derailed again and was a touchy subject or c) after much time and effort you love it but are sick of thinking and talking about it!

Isn't color frustrating? I never realized how many shades of beige there were or how many undertones there were to it! What color looks like in daylight is totally different at night as well. Sounds like I'm talking about diamonds, huh?

Would love to see pictures though if you have any but most importantly - are you happy with the outcome? I certainly hope so!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello my friends! :wavey:

MGR, maybe all of the above! lol No, I really hadn't come back because there was no good news until about 10 days ago when the new painter redid the livingroom and the new furniture was delivered. (no, I've had no furniture since late Oct.) No one would believe what I have been through on this decorating stint. I don't even believe it and I lived through it. lol But, all things do work together for good, and my LR is turning into a monochromatic beige haven that I am just loving. Still deciding on curtains, and still need coffee table and various decorative items so it's not done just yet. But it is getting there, and dare I say, it will have been worth it. I am not going to promise, but maybe some pics will appear some time in the future. ::)

You are not kidding about colors and nuances, etc. It has been really interesting, and hence why I can't decide on curtains. The walls are SW Balanced Beige. Love. It. However, while it's a scrumptous taupe during the day, it turns slightly khaki at night. I have been reading up and found this wonderful article. From it, I realized "warm" lightbulbs may help the room stay the same colors at night. Need to find those... Maybe you will find it helpful too, or at least tell you why colors drive us nuts. lol

http://www.thekeystocolor.com/why-color-often-goes-awry/

So good to "see" you both!! Have a Blessed Easter.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've obviously lost some ground on your LR. Weren't the walls being painted a gold color? Or am I losing my mind? And there was a blue in there somewhere along the line. . . .

I'm new to the beige walls but taupe/beige etc. are truly my favorite wall colors. Fill me in please miss!

Happy Easter to you and yours as well!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, you are remembering correctly.

After the defective first set of furniture went back, I was sent a reimbursement for it, without even asking. As much as I wanted to go with Flexsteel again as it had served me so well the last 15 years, the fact was they have changed their cushions. They just weren't as soft and comfortable, and I want comfort. So, I decided to start over with different furniture. Had planned on changing the paint color as the furniture I based it on no longer existed, and of course keep the carpet. (second piece remember, first piece was defective) So I picked out beige furniture from Smith Brothers out of Indiana. Gets really great reviews for anyone interested. Lifetime warranty on frame and cushions. There's a lot of junk being sold as furniture out there. And this set did not break the bank either.

Anywho, I took a break over the holidays before finding this furniture, was just burnt. Long, really strange story short, this second piece of carpet was defective also (though different defect), and was replaced at no cost by the carpet store. But after twp pieces I decided I had had enough of this brown and went with a different carpet in a beige muticolor. Hence the beige walls.

It's a shame I don't have all the time it would take, or the inclination to relay this whole redecorating story, because it would be really entertaining. It was like stepping into carpet twilight zone there in the end..... :lol:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ellen,

Thank you for coming back and updating your decorating saga. I, too, was thinking about you a few weeks ago myself.

I feel so bad for you. You must have a lot of patience. And your husband must have turned into a saint to have you do a second round of painting without a divorce looming. My Gosh, what a story. I don't remember seeing that many diferent aspects of my brown carpeting when i had it. It did look rich and never dirty, although all light colored stuff showed up, but was an easy fix by vacuuming. I have taupe now, but don't like it. It looks dirty to me, and our cats have ruined it in places, which i cover up.

I have been saving since you last posted and have about 7,000 so far put aside just for house improvements, but i'm so slow in the doing. i hate that my sons cats will just ruin my new stuff as they did before. I still would like to see the gold paint, and your new color when you are ready for show and tell. I wish you an easy end to all this. And of course hope you love it in the end.

Wishing you the best this easter season.

Annette

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Annette,

Funny thing is, I didn't have near the patience before I started this that I do now. ;)) And it's not even over. The ottoman and loveseat got delivered with spots, one on ottoman was sticky. Guys came back to clean it just after delivering it. Got the one out, but sticky line only came half out, and now there's a discolored place where the guy rubbed rather vigorously. So now I'm waiting on the stores upholstery guy to come and try to get it all out (I am skeptical, and a new one may very well be in order). He's rescheduled me from today until Thursday.... This is how everything has gone. And when I say everything, I ain't a kiddin. lol So, how could one not help but grow patience? It's that or go mad. :bigsmile: I'm getting a T-shirt made that says: I redid my entire home and lived to tell about it.

Hubby still does not grasp that stuff happens. No matter that I've never had to "do over" anything in our 32 years of marriage, he's still getting over the LR. And he keeps asking why we can't leave the hall the color it is, even though it butts up against the LR walls and in no way, shape or form begins to go with the LR. lol

As for the carpet, I think part of it was me. I have learned that I have a terribly discerning eye with/for color. And that's not such a good thing I think. What I see and won't tolerate, many most likely wouldn't see. There were a couple people who couldn't see the red in it, but I could.

Good for you for saving! :appl: Nothing wrong in taking your time, things have a way of working out best sometimes when we don't rush. ;))

Thanks for your well wishes, I appreciate it. And I will try for some pics in the future.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that really does sound like an ordeal! Hope how soon your room is finally together and that you love it!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you miss. It has definitely been a trial by fire, but I know I will love it. ;))

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Ellen, what a time of it you have had! Who knew there could be so many difficulties with carpet and furniture!!! I hope it all comes together without too many more problems and you are thrilled with it! I hope you can/will post some photos sometime! I would love to see what you have done!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who knew indeed!

Thank you luv, I really appreciate the kind words. And thanks for stopping in! :wavey:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ya know, I was just certain I'd heard the fat lady warming up on this whole redo thing, but, apparently not. For the few that have hung in there watching this unfold, here's the new twist. We have metal frames around all our doors and they're painted. So naturally when the house got painted last fall, that was included. I'm not sure how much I said about the painter, but he turned out to be a small nightmare, after coming highly recommended by some very reputable, picky people.

So I had said to hubby the other day how I couldn't understand how the paint had been scraped on our bedroom door frame, as I have been super careful, and he remarked he was being careful to the point of paranoid. lol So today I knelt down at my closet to sort laundry, and I notice some scratches on that door frame. This was not right. In the 26 years we've lived here, with hubby painting all that time, and 3 boys, this didn't happen. So I told hubby something was wrong. Long story short, paint store said take your fingernail and scrape on paint. If it scratches easily, frame wasn't prepped correctly. So I gave it a scrape. Guess what? *sigh*

Hubby gets to call the painter and tell him he messed up. It will all have to be scraped off and prepped, then painted.

Yep. :|

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - I hope the painter apologizes profusely and gets over there pronto! People only have so much patience and when it runs thin. . . look out!!! :angryfire: :angryfire:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny. This whole thing is about patience, I know it for a fact. Doesn't mean I particularly like it, but it's all about growing patience. And the facinating thing is, it's working. If this had happened a few months ago, I'd have flipped. Now? It's like, ok, he's gonna have to come back and fix it. Hubby called and got voicemail, told him to call him. We'll see how he handles it, frankly, I'm not expecting great results. lol

On a good note, the spot(s) came out of the ottoman. It's good as new. Yay for the little things. And just a FYI, he got it out with this stuff. Says it's the best cleaner he's come across. Works miracles, like taking sharpie marker off upholstery after a pint sized Van Gogh got ahold of it. :o I'm definitely ordering a can. As always, test first.

http://www.sun-beltusa.com/all-solv-spotter.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results