shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you tell the truth if someone show you a fake..

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1397689330|3654664 said:
One coworker recently got engaged with a deep pink (almost fushia) gemstone e-ring, about 2 ct (diamond weight equivalent). I'm not an expert in colored gemstones, but I DO know that pink diamonds are EXTREMELY expensive, and with that amount of color saturation, it would cost millions. So, when she started telling people it's a pink diamond e-ring, I blinked several times and said (innocently) with wide eyes: "Wow, I didn't know pink diamonds could be so deep in colour, that must have cost a fortune!"

It could still be diamond. A jeweler I used to use sold irradiated diamonds, and they would fly off the shelves. I almost bought a pink one. Kinda glad I didn't now :bigsmile:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1397662847|3654367 said:
diamond ring? I mean an obvious fake... :bigsmile:

A guy showed me his watch (a gift from his brother) and asked me if I thought it was real, but it was an obvious fake...would you tell him/her the truth ?.. :bigsmile:

If someone simply showed me their lovely item and asked me to enjoy it with them, I would admire and never bring up a conversation about anything being a 'fake'.
But, if you know the person well and are on good terms with them, if you are friends... he asked straight out for your honest opinion...and he knows your background and interest...surely your honest opinion is what he is asking for??

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1397687451|3654641 said:
I might preface my reply with, "Do you really want my honest opinion?".

I like this! Also, I would pretend to merely be 'uncertain' and recommend that because the whole topic is so huge, if really interested best to go to a particular obscure expert in another city to find out. LOL finishing with,"anyway, it's a lovely watch."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1397739144|3654911 said:

I like this! Also, I would pretend to merely be 'uncertain' and recommend that because the whole topic is so huge, if really interested best to go to a particular obscure expert in another city to find out. LOL finishing with,"anyway, it's a lovely watch."
So, I should have LIED?... :bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If it is not an issue of them having been taken for ride, financially . . .
If telling the receiver of the fake would hurt their relationship with the giver of the fake . . .
If you know it would be devastating for them to learn the truth . . .
Be kind and keep your opinion to yourself, because it is the right thing to do.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1397761257|3655126 said:

LOL! did you 'give it to em straight'??
DF: "Sorry, it's a really bad fake."
And the guy's not speaking to you anymore! :wacko:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1397802724|3655404 said:
Dancing Fire|1397761257|3655126 said:

LOL! did you 'give it to em straight'??
DF: "Sorry, it's a really bad fake."
And the guy's not speaking to you anymore! :wacko:
Of course!...mama taught me not to lie!... :devil:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Well you are a man of honor DF !

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like anything else, this depends entirely on the situation.
A close friend or family member who specifically asks, "Is this a diamond?" I'd say I didn't think so, and recommend they go to an appraiser as I couldn't possibly advise.
A friend or family member who is just showing me a pretty ring? I'm sure it's beautiful! The stone or metal doesn't matter unless I think they were mis-sold something. Their opinion of the ring matters.

Not diamonds but years ago a college roommate had a friend who went to NYC and returned with a Kate Spade branded bag for her. Laura, the roommate, gushed about how nice the gift was and that she loved Kate Spade. I said it was and kind of brushed it off. Laura wouldn't quit with how expensive it was blah blah blah. I tried to nicely point out that I wasn't sure it was actually Kate Spade because of the build, uneven stitching, glued on label rather than sewn on, the list goes on. Laura wouldn't hear of it, it was Kate Spade, cost $50, her pal paid a lot for it, etc. I asked where her friend got it and Laura replied it was a close out deal of discontinued pieces that were being sold on the street, cash only. I just nodded and told Laura that her bag was in a pretty pattern and I hope she liked it.

Job done. All the signs pointed to knock-off. She refused to see it. I tried to point her in the right direction gently and she wouldn't have it. Maintaining a relationship is more important than being right.

There's also the fact that some people don't wear diamonds and simply don't care. My mother wants a huge clear stone and wears a kick-ass white sapphire. She can't afford a large diamond, doesn't actually care if it's a diamond, she just wants a large ring that she can wear with any outfit. If anyone pointed out to her that it wasn't a diamond without being asked she might punch them and frankly, they'd deserve it if they offered an opinion without her asking. It's a nice ring, she enjoys it, and it's very much real.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Unless they specifically ask you "Is this item real?" then NO! If you think it's fake and they might embarrass themselves bragging about it, politely recommend they consult a jeweler about its authenticity.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Unless they specifically ask you "Is this item real?" then NO! If you think it's fake and they might embarrass themselves bragging about it, politely recommend they consult a jeweler about its authenticity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results