shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy? & other experts? flirting with Asschers & about 2buy

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flirting with Aschers again and about to purchase if I can find what I want. I have been looking at this Asscher for months.http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10395/
It has excellent performance and I am a fan of K. I also like the culet.
What do you think? am I going off the deep end with this one?

I also have my "old" 0.90 Asccher on hold at JA. It's a beautiful diamond but is small.Last night I ordered it with a halo, but then realized I might not get quite what I want without working more closely with a designer, so I put it on hold [again].

The asscher thread this morning made me realize I should not push the button on my old asscher just yet but should look around a bit [again].

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Gypsy? & other experts? flirting with Asschers & about 2

I will let the experts help you with the asscher. But you might want to put it on hold while asking about it. I have been looking at that O Octavia my self but I'm not certain if I could handle the color.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

Jimmianne,

the K asscher is octagonal than most generic asschers. really looks like the Octavia! your previous Asscher was a G, albeit smaller than the K. that is a big colour difference.. G- K= 4 GIA colour difference. i think it will be bright diamond and reflect light really well given the DiamXray and ASET. HOwever, you mention that K is a great colour.. The culet makes it look slightly more like an older cut. :twirl:

I would hold out till you see something closer to the G... maybe go to the H colour as a safer bet as 4 colours is a big jump.

Thecat- yes that O octavia is lovely. i have been eyeing that for some time. if i didnt have an OPQR (depedning on the lab!!!) OEC in my hands, i would have taken that O. Antique cuts with the warmer colours are just divine, IMO. to me, they just scream out loud romance!!!! Dont get me wrong, i still love the whiter colours as well... just different and wish i could have them all!!!! LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jimmianne, that K from Good Old Gold is the reason I would let the stone at JA go. It is a magnificent cut, and it is what your ideal should be. Jon is sooo good at picking them. Did you see the 1.15 or 1.17 J that someone was buying the other day? It was gorgeous, too!

I'm pretty much with Greg in that I'd encourage you to go higher in color than K, but I wouldn't buy a .90 asscher period. I have a 1 ct asscher in a halo setting, and I would have never even bought that small if I didn't love the setting so much. I can see the tint in my H asscher. I could go to I color, but that would be about my limit. Maybe a high J. I'd rather have the 1.17 (or whatever it was) J over a 1.2 K. Just get Jon to find you one.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1397916526|3656036 said:
Jimmianne, that K from Good Old Gold is the reason I would let the stone at JA go. It is a magnificent cut, and it is what your ideal should be. Jon is sooo good at picking them. Did you see the 1.15 or 1.17 J that someone was buying the other day? It was gorgeous, too!

I'm pretty much with Greg in that I'd encourage you to go higher in color than K, but I wouldn't buy a .90 asscher period. I have a 1 ct asscher in a halo setting, and I would have never even bought that small if I didn't love the setting so much. I can see the tint in my H asscher. I could go to I color, but that would be about my limit. Maybe a high J. I'd rather have the 1.17 (or whatever it was) J over a 1.2 K. Just get Jon to find you one.

thanks, DS [and Greg] for input & encouragement.

yes - did see that. Probably what got me going again :))
I just got off the phone with David at GOG. They are going to pick some stones & send photos and video.

That K is everything I want - cut, clarity, stop-sign shape, size, price and I love the culet...yet it's a K.
I had a K RB and I really liked the color. In a step-cut it might not be so wonderful... :confused:

update later!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AWESOME!!!! All I can tell you is that a GREAT asscher is a wonderful diamond to have in your collection! I adore that K, and there's nothing wrong with you having them send it to you to look at. I just know that in a halo, the tint is going to show. I do love them in a halo because it is like a frame for the step cut stone. So I think it is just finding your color tolerance for the stone when it is going to be surrounded by whiter diamonds. My diamonds are in a milgrain halo and are just tiny chips, so there really isn't much contrast.

I don't know if you have looked at Beverley K settings, but I think they would be a great choice for an asscher because their halo stones are delicate.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

look forward to the videos.. yes that J was quite a stunner....

I have not had a MRB next to a step cut to compare colours, but maybe that is what you can ask GOG to do for you. have a K MRB next to a K generic asscher... not only head on but side on/ profile view as well... if i remember correctly, your setting (sholtd?) shows quite a bit of the pavillion. So, you would want to make sure that the profile shot is assessed as well to make sure that you are happy with the tint from the K in a step cut.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That K does have a P3 issue.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1397937167|3656213 said:

How negative is a P3 issue when there is optimum brilliance, fire & scintillation?
What would I notice in person?
thanks.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

gregchang35|1397918412|3656057 said:
look forward to the videos.. yes that J was quite a stunner....

I have not had a MRB next to a step cut to compare colours, but maybe that is what you can ask GOG to do for you. have a K MRB next to a K generic asscher... not only head on but side on/ profile view as well... if i remember correctly, your setting (sholtd?) shows quite a bit of the pavillion. So, you would want to make sure that the profile shot is assessed as well to make sure that you are happy with the tint from the K in a step cut.

It's going to be a while. The distributer is closed until Wed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That stone has a killer ASET and IS image. I'll withhold final judgement until I see the video. But I am betting on it being great, aside from the color issue.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1397939549|3656231 said:
That stone has a killer ASET and IS image. I'll withhold final judgement until I see the video. But I am betting on it being great, aside from the color issue.
It will be fun to find out!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Jimmianne|1397938399|3656221 said:

How negative is a P3 issue when there is optimum brilliance, fire & scintillation?
thanks.
It does and it doesn't. Confused?
I think they could be better but the leakage is small and the IS shows brighter than the ASET which shows a lot of obstruction.
Pay attention to center brightness and the dark zone near the edge of the table in the vid and talk to Jon about it.
The images are a warning not a conclusion.

Note: I have a business relationship with GOG and make no recommendation on the stone itself but am commenting on the is/aset image interpretation.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K|1397945775|3656277 said:
Jimmianne|1397938399|3656221 said:

thanks.
It does and it doesn't. Confused?
I think they could be better but the leakage is small and the IS shows brighter than the ASET which shows a lot of obstruction.
Pay attention to center brightness and the dark zone near the edge of the table in the vid and talk to Jon about it.
The images are a warning not a conclusion.

Note: I have a business relationship with GOG and make no recommendation on the stone itself but am commenting on the is/aset image interpretation.

confused? If only I knew enough to be confused.
Clueless? completely.

Karl,

Are you saying brilliance, fire & scint. could be better?
IS ? I don't know what that means.
All I am sure of is that I'm back in the Asscher Swamp, off the beaten path & into the quicksand once more. You know.....
where all the fun is! =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IS= idealscope (or diamonxray) image

He is saying you need to see the video. You cannot judge it solely from the images. Knowing Jon, it is extremely unlikely he would buy an asscher for inventory that was bad.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1397950908|3656306 said:

He is saying you need to see the video. You cannot judge it solely from the images. Knowing Jon, it is extremely unlikely he would buy an asscher for inventory that was bad.

Thanks, DS.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Jimmianne|1397951303|3656308 said:
diamondseeker2006|1397950908|3656306 said:

Thanks, DS.

Look forward to shooting this. As I review the data the blue band in the middle of the ASET is what raises a question mark in my own mind. Blue in ASET's when it comes to fancies can translate to either a distracting band of darkness amidst a bright diamond (like bowties in fancies are) or it's possible the blue is bordering at the threshold of the blue/red zone meaning it can translate to a nice bright area.

One question Jimmianne ...

When you hold a diamond before your eyes and observing it at a normal viewing distance do you tend to ...

a. hold the diamond extremely close, ie. within 6 inches of your eyes or
b. hold the diamond at roughly a half an arms length distance (12-15 inches away from the eyes)?

On a personal note I tend to view diamonds at about 12-15 inches (or a half an arms length) when I am observing optical properties. Based on my past experience with Asscher's like this though I am optimistic and have shot quite a few vids with similar diamonds. One as recent as today.

Kind regards,
Rhino

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

[/quote]

When you hold a diamond before your eyes and observing it at a normal viewing distance do you tend to ...

b. hold the diamond at roughly a half an arms length distance (12-15 inches away from the eyes)?

On a personal note I tend to view diamonds at about 12-15 inches (or a half an arms length) when I am observing optical properties. Based on my past experience with Asscher's like this though I am optimistic and have shot quite a few vids with similar diamonds. One as recent as today.

Kind regards,
Rhino[/quote]

Jon, hi.
Definitely 12-15".

Looking forward to seeing the video!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Kind regards,
Rhino[/quote]

Jon, hi.
Definitely 12-15".

Looking forward to seeing the video![/quote]

Hi Jimiannie! :wavey:

Excellent. =)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

hmmm Jon when you shoot this video see if you can capture it, intentionally over obstruct it then show it at a greater distance.
How blue in ASET translates to distance in fancies can be a good learning experience.
The same happens in RBs aslo but the ratio is different unless there are very short lgf% and the mains show blue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

And this thread is why GOG rocks for step cuts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results