shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you wear a diamond cross...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
if it was not for religious significance? I am considering an antique diamond cross to wear as a piece of jewelry on a long chain. It's really lovely but a few people I have shown it to have said " but it's a cross"

My question is, would you wear a cross?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't wear a cross and I'm a christian. I don't know why you'd want to wear one if you aren't religious but you can choose to wear whatever you want :)

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I own 3. I love them. I wear them. Why the hesitation? Am I missing something?

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
braga123|1397867001|3655762 said:

My only hesitation is the reaction from others who don't understand why I would want to wear a cross. To me it is beautiful piece of antique jewelry that happens to be a cross.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of non-xians celebrate Xmas.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
nottospec|1397867312|3655765 said:

My only hesitation is the reaction from others who don't understand why I would want to wear a cross. To me it is beautiful piece of antique jewelry that happens to be a cross.

I have NEVER been judged for wearing a cross. I have NEVER even been questioned or heard anyone snicker about it. I work with a wide range of religious and non-religious people. I have a wide range of religious and non-religious friends and acquaintances.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

The only reason I wear jewellry and clothes that I do, is because it's for me. I undersnd that others may not like it. But ultimately, I am choosing to wear and do what I wear and do.

If u like it- wear it. :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1397867986|3655774 said:

The only reason I wear jewellry and clothes that I do, is because it's for me. I undersnd that others may not like it. But ultimately, I am choosing to wear and do what I wear and do.

Me too.

Lots of people though live for the approval of others.
LOTS!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1397867865|3655772 said:

I have NEVER been judged for wearing a cross. I have NEVER even been questioned or heard anyone snicker about it. I work with a wide range of religious and non-religious people. I have a wide range of religious and non-religious friends and acquaintances.

I don't think it is so much about judging but more so thinking someone who wears a cross (or any other religious symbol) is religious. Right or wrong -in which I am sure they are in many cases. Of course there is nothing wrong with being religious but if you aren't you may not want people automatically thinking you are. Though it shouldn't matter what people who don't know you think about you.

And I agree with the others. If you like it wear it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1397868217|3655776 said:

Me too.

LOTS!

Sometimes I get approval from DH and the masses on PS! I am learning about my choices.. Takes time.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1397868496|3655781 said:
braga123|1397867865|3655772 said:

I don't think it is so much about judging but more so thinking someone who wears a cross (or any other religious symbol) is religious. Right or wrong -in which I am sure they are in many cases. Of course there is nothing wrong with being religious but if you aren't you may not want people automatically thinking you are. Though it shouldn't matter what people who don't know you think about you.

And I agree with the others. If you like it wear it.

Good point. I guess that I have never been worried about anyone thinking that I am religious. I'm really not. Also, crosses, I think, have become so popular that I don't assume that because someone is wearing one, they must be religious... that maybe that is why I was surprised by the question. I also don't make assumptions about people who wear hearts. Or panthers.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't. It's a symbol of faith just like star of david or crescent. Many people place lots of importance in these symbols.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn't. A cross is a religious symbol which is sacred to a large percentage of the population. I wouldn't wear one unless it was a specific mark of respect for, and affiliation with, that particular religion - and this is true of any religious symbol. Those symbols mean a great deal to some people; to treat them as just fashion doesn't sit well with me. Keep in mind, for Christians, the cross represents the mode via which their God died. To treat it as a fashion statement is pretty insensitive.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1397871972|3655810 said:
I wouldn't. It's a symbol of faith just like star of david or crescent. Many people place lots of importance in these symbols.

+1 (and it occurs to me it seems rather coincidental (?) this thread pops up on Good Friday)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely. I love vintage pieces, and if I found a piece that I loved that maybe had significance to another faith, I would wear it. I would find out a bit about what it meant though, and try very hard not to wear it in a way/situation that would be insulting or disrespective to that group.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
A cross to me, when I see it worn on someone does have a religious correlation in my head. Doesn't matter what I think though ;-)

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'd only wear the holy symbol of a belief that I shared. That said, Yes, I sometimes wear a crucifix.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1397872338|3655815 said:
No, I wouldn't. A cross is a religious symbol which is sacred to a large percentage of the population. I wouldn't wear one unless it was a specific mark of respect for, and affiliation with, that particular religion - and this is true of any religious symbol. Those symbols mean a great deal to some people; to treat them as just fashion doesn't sit well with me. Keep in mind, for Christians, the cross represents the mode via which their God died. To treat it as a fashion statement is pretty insensitive.

This.+1000

I happen to have more than one cross which I wear because it has deep significance for me as a religious symbol. If it was a symbol that truly had generic purposes, like maybe a circle, I can buy into maybe different people wearing the circle with different purposes or none at all. But I seriously doubt anyone in this day and age does not have an idea of the primary meaning of the symbol of the cross. So I agree with mrsblop that is it insensitive at the very least to treat a major world religious symbol as a fashion piece with no meaning. Think about whether you'd feel comfortable wearing a Star or David...a Buddha...a swastika, perhaps? If all of those are free game, then sure, a person is free to wear what they want, and I'd assume they have no regard for the faith of others.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1397869322|3655789 said:
kenny|1397868217|3655776 said:

Me too.

LOTS!

Sometimes I get approval from DH and the masses on PS! I am learning about my choices.. Takes time.

Greg, and maybe the fact that you think about others and not just yourself is a really good thing. I don't mean live for the approval of others, but care about and respect others, even those who might be different in some way. Don't ever forget that.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I would wear anything I find pretty. I'm not religious but I would wear a beautiful diamond cross. I don't wear jewelry to please anyone but me.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx DS... I now see the other side of the cross bearing significant religious meaning. I do not follow a faith (though i respect those that do) and therefore to me, a cross is not of a religious connection. But respect why there may be certain connections when seeing one being worn. Though i suspect if someone is wearing one, observers generally would note that the person is wearing one and not much else. However, it could draw attention and start a conversation about religion.... :read:

Thanx also for your comment about : maybe the fact that you think about others and not just yourself is a really good thing. I don't mean live for the approval of others, but care about and respect others, even those who might be different in some way. Don't ever forget that.

it is true to establish that difference and thank you for pointing that out. :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: {{{{hugs}}}}

(For the record, I don't give a lot of thought to the jewelry other people wear. I give thought to what I wear, though. Way too much thought! :lol: )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think it disrespectful for someone to wear a cross or star of david if they are not religious. As long as they are not doing something to desecrate it why would it be disrespectful? Jewelry is art and can be appreciated by many for different reasons IMO.

mrs-blop said:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
A cross is not a religious symbol to everyone. I wore an ankh years ago and I am not Egyptian. I just liked the shape and design. For some people that is what a cross is; art and design. For others it signifies Christianity. And there is nothing disrespectful about wearing jewelry that you like as long as YOU are comfortable with it. No one has ever asked me about the meaning of my jewelry.

I have an old family heirloom Christmas ornament. It's a Star of David for the top of the Christmas tree. Jewish or Christian??????? It's a very pretty star either way.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a Christian my Jewish friends would be insulted if I wore a Star of David. The cross is a very powerful Christian symbol and not just a piece of jewelry. If I were not a believer, I wouldn't wear one as art. But this is America. You have the freedom to do as you will.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two diamond crosses. I wear them because I'm a Christian. A cross was the first jewelry gift I gave my daughter. When I see someone with a cross I assume they are also a Christian. My BFF is Jewish and she wears a beautiful Star of David. I would never think to wear one not even a diamond one. This is just me. I have seen some ornamental crosses somewhat gothic and I often wonder if they are meant to be religious or just that ornamental.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If people get their panties in a bunch over what necklace you wear, they aren't your FRIENDS. Your FRIENDS would know why you're wearing it-- for the beauty in the jewelry, and its long antique life it's lived. If your FRIENDS think you mean ill to the Christian religion, then they mustn't know you, and their opinions mustn't matter.

Strangers? Their opinions should matter even less.

I would wear a beautiful antique piece of jewelry regardless of what religion or culture it may be from.
If I wear a Hawaiian symbol, would I be mocking the ancient Polynesians?
If I wear an African print on my dress, would I be mocking Africans?
When I see non-Asians wear Chinese garb, eating Chinese food, growing bamboos... do I get offended?

Culture goes beyond just religion. There's a cultural COMPETENCE and ENJOYMENT out of honoring all of the different varieties of humans there are out there. What I get from your post is, you see this piece as a beautiful thing, and you want to enjoy it. That shows me that you enjoy and respect the history of Christianity and this resulting piece, NOT that you are thinking little of those who share that faith.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw your question my mind went in a totally different direction - I love the look of diamond crosses, but would have trouble wearing a larger diamond cross because to me there's an inherent conflict between the luxury inherent in large diamonds and the cross. (Please note that that's strictly my internal conflict, and it's very much a "mind clean" thing - I don't have the same conflict with large gold crosses, for example, and would love to own one.) So to me, a large diamond cross is more likely to be a style or fashion statement and a smaller one is more likely to be a statement of faith.

Since I am a person of faith I would not wear a symbol of another faith without thinking about the message it sends. I would not, for example, routinely wear a head scarf wrapped as a hijab, even though I think that look can be very flattering - and the perfect answer to a bad hair day! - because I think it would be disrespectful to people of the Islamic faith.

Of course you are free to wear whatever ornamentation you want, and irrespective of how others see it. Of course others may make assumptions about you if you wear a religious symbol - but a cross worn as a religious symbol in the U.S. is probably more likely to have positive than negative consequences.

(I will add this from the VRB archives: Years (as in decades) ago I worked with someone who, it seemed to me, was more likely to hire and promote people who were active in his chosen religion. As I said - this is how it appeared to me, and my interpretation may have had no basis in fact. Anyhow, when I was ready to move into management I decided not to wear symbols of my faith at work at all, lest anyone be concerned that I took other people's religion into account in hiring etc. actions. And with one exception, a very subtle ring I wore during a specific time of year, I stuck to this throughout my career. Again, this is just me.)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1397934926|3656198 said:
If people get their panties in a bunch over what necklace you wear, they aren't your FRIENDS. Your FRIENDS would know why you're wearing it-- for the beauty in the jewelry, and its long antique life it's lived. If your FRIENDS think you mean ill to the Christian religion, then they mustn't know you, and their opinions mustn't matter.

Strangers? Their opinions should matter even less.

I would wear a beautiful antique piece of jewelry regardless of what religion or culture it may be from.
If I wear a Hawaiian symbol, would I be mocking the ancient Polynesians?
If I wear an African print on my dress, would I be mocking Africans?
When I see non-Asians wear Chinese garb, eating Chinese food, growing bamboos... do I get offended?

Culture goes beyond just religion. There's a cultural COMPETENCE and ENJOYMENT out of honoring all of the different varieties of humans there are out there. What I get from your post is, you see this piece as a beautiful thing, and you want to enjoy it. That shows me that you enjoy and respect the history of Christianity and this resulting piece, NOT that you are thinking little of those who share that faith.

My "friends" were insulted at Christmas banners my city put up one year and the city had to take them down. It's not about me not knowing them or them knowing me, it's about respecting their beliefs. Take religion out of it and make it race or orientation. Would you wear an antique swaztica ? Would you wear little black mambo earrings because they were a collectors item? We try to be sensitive to everyone. As a Christian there would be no reason to wear a Star of David. Nor would there be any reason for them to wear a cross.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1397940805|3656238 said:
Take religion out of it and make it race or orientation. Would you wear an antique swaztica ? Would you wear little black mambo earrings because they were a collectors item? We try to be sensitive to everyone. As a Christian there would be no reason to wear a Star of David. Nor would there be any reason for them to wear a cross.

REALLY APRIL?! YOURE COMPARING A CROSS TO A SWASTIKA?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results