shape
carat
color
clarity

Milgrain, anyone?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
Does anyone have any idea how much restoring milgrain to a planitum ring costs? Would you restore the milgrain or leave as is?
I love the shape of this setting, but I wish it has more patina, in terms of the platinum. I love the look of platinum that isn't shiny, but that makes the single cuts almost glitter. I wonder if restoring the milgrain would help create this effect?

image_1546.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It shouldn't be much at all and yes I would restore it as I personally love the look and think it will make the setting look ten times better (though it is marvelous now :love: ). I would think it would be under $250 at the very most! Pending what vendor you choose. Daniel Klass, Erica and/ or Grace and OWD should be able to restore it .

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that would be beautiful! I would contact a few vendors and ask but I am sure it would be well worth it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Consider me a thritto! I love milgrain, too, and that kind of restoration falls under the umbrella of "good maintenance" to me. :appl:

When you do, would you post here what it runs? I realize one jeweler or even a handful of quotes is no yardstick, but it would be nice to have a baseline should anybody in the future consider something similar ....

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I was quoted 200 dollars for a very detailed milgrain job. For 30 dollars, he was able to give me a preview and did this.
image_1570.jpg
Opinions?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I say do it - that's very nice for a "preview!" Already it looks much more defined. Who did you go to, if you don't mind my asking?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
He was recommended by my local antique jeweler. He has owned bus shop for 16 years and told me that he used to do the work for the jewelry store that was located in Disneyland and closed down recently.
I will prob go full milgrain but truthfully, I can't envision what effect it will have.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm picky with my miligraine as I have seen too many bad jobs. From your preview you posted I think it looks awesome! I wouldn't hesitate to do it for $200. :appl:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1397669626|3654462 said:
I'm picky with my miligraine as I have seen too many bad jobs. From your preview you posted I think it looks awesome! I wouldn't hesitate to do it for $200. :appl:
I have very little imagination and can't envision how it would look. What should I expect or ask for if I do go through with it? Specific things to look for?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The preview is very positive; the milgrain looks fine and even. I've seen too many blotchy milgain work and for $200, I'd do it. It adds definition and contrast so that the design stands out rather than blends into a single shiny ring.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
it brings such a delicate feel to it-love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results