carat
color
clarity

Teachers can still beat students in 19 states

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which would you guess, the blue ones or the red ones? :lol:
What is it about those states clinging to worst crap of the past?

QUOTE:
Teachers and principals can still punish disobedient students with a beating — usually with a wood or fiberglass paddle — in many parts of the US.

"Corporal punishment in public schools is legal in 19 states.
And while far fewer students are beaten now than were a generation ago, the Education Department estimates that more than 200,000 students were beaten by teachers or administrators in public schools during the 2009-10 academic year."

Read More:
http://www.vox.com/2014/4/16/5617748/its-2014-and-teachers-can-still-beat-students-in-these-19-states

screen_shot_2014-04-17_at_5.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an American so I'd guess red for the more conservative (coughs more redneck areas) that and the fact California which is in blue on your map is generally more liberal thinking....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because every single person in a blue state is enlightened and kind and generous and non-judgmental and doesn't lump people together (like Kenny NEVER does), and every single person in a red state is completely backwards knuckledragging neanderthal. My husband (of the calloused knuckles) beats HIS students daily as they walk in the room as a preventative measure, just in case.

:rolleyes:

I guess everyone needs to feel superior to someone. Whatever you need to think to make yourself feel better...

Oh and to put this in numbers perspective? There were approximately 50 million students in the US in 2013. Two hundred thousand incidents of corporal punishment of those students is less than 1/2 of one percent of those students. It's not great that it still happens, but let's get a grip, shall we?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What's the writer's definition off "beating?" A swat on the behind? Did they take a poll of how many "beatings" were given with a paddle & how many were one quick one to the butt with the hand?

Kenny, you must be bored. Seems lately you are trolling the news to find things to get indignant about. Find some that matter -- how about the way women & gays are treated in most Muslim countries? The legality of selling horsemeat abroad, resulting in mustang roundups here to make them into ground meat? Use of eminent domain to hand privately-owned property to private developers? Human trafficking? Dig a little deeper!

How about this? http://jezebel.com/nebraska-school-gives-most-idiotic-advice-ever-to-deal-1564016234

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I should stick to posting nice things like a photo of the kidney stone I passed or how my menstruating bloody vagina stunk up the office.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you should rethink that comment and the accusation against a variety of people. Fair is fair and that was not. Unbecoming a gentleman.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dammit. I was hoping Iowa was one of the can-do states.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I live in a state and a school district that still allows for corporal punishment. In our district, only the principal can administer corporal punishment. The school must have the parents permission in writing in advance and must obtain verbal permission from the parent at each corporal punishment event.

is it archaic? Yes.
Would I let my kids be paddled by the school? No way.
why is it still in use? I have no idea. I have commonly heard that kids prefer the corporal punishment to other forms of punishment because its over quickly and doesn't really hurt. I consider it a very lazy form of discipline for the kids whose parents do give permission.

My friends son asked her if he could just "take licks" (get paddled) instead of the in school suspension he would receive, she told him no way because it wasn't enough of a punishment for him.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I didn't mean to offend you. I probably expressed myself badly. I agree, though, with ksinger's post. And the word "beat" (which is the reporter's, not yours) implies thumping a kid to a bloody pulp. I challenge anyone to find a school in the U.S. where kids are truly beaten. A swat to the butt is not a beating -- ask anybody who's had either one. Guess I'm mightily tired of pc-ness & its loss of common sense. That bullying advice from Nebraska really made me steam.

--- Laurie

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
That word 'BEAT" bothers me so I'll interpret it as slap or hit with a hard object.

As a retired teacher, I swear I did neither; however, to be truthful, there were times that I felt sorely tempted......

I learned in Teacher's College that touching a student was grounds for immediate dismissal. Was I going to lay my career on the line by touching a student no matter how mouthy he/she got???? Not a chance. I had dreamed of teaching before I left elementary school so 'beating' was out of question.

Sometimes, it was effective to simply ignore a comment made and at the end of class, ask the student to stay behind for a minute. When 'the audience' had left, I would quietly ask a few pointed questions which were answered to the satisfaction of both of us.

If the student was a repeat 'performer' everyone was allowed to leave without comment. When I had time, I wrote the incident up, called the student after classes were over and asked the offender to sit and quietly read what I had written. Any disagreement? Any questions? Then the student would sign if he thought the assessment was fair. Nobody refused. My classroom was fairly close to the principal's office and I paged one of the secretaries to say that John Doe was on his way to talk to the principal. At the end of the day, said student without exception came and apologized. Just saying that he was sorry wasn't enough: other questions followed. When I thought he was sincere, he could leave.

That type of incident happened three times during my 19 years. The principal was not going to be bothered on my account.

The flip side:

There were students who just needed a hug, and they received a 'virtual' one. How? Circle arms near student, but never touch.

There were so many students who came back to announce success - these were seniors or those who had graduated already. I was as excited as they were and hugging had just come into fashion. For the girls, a small hug, several positive comments and a pat on the back, but with the guys, I wanted to give them big hugs especially since I no longer needed a job and the kid had worked his buns off.

I'm ashamed to say that I offered my hand in congratulations while expressing the thought that I knew he could do it all along. DAMNED RULES!!!

While doing some proof reading I noticed that I had used all three levels of language. My bad :mrgreen:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still legal in my state. I remember the snickering that went on during school when we heard a usual suspect's name over the loudspeaker being called to the principal's office for a paddling. Back then it just seemed like the worst possible punishment before suspension/expulsion and nothing more. Thinking about it now, it seems cruel and wrong. Wait, does that make me a liberal? Because it says my state is red. I'd better move.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
isaku5|1397853459|3655672 said:
While doing some proof reading I noticed that I had used all three levels of language. My bad :mrgreen:
isaku5, could you explain what the three levels of language are? I'm curious.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got paddled at school and I turned out just fine... well kinda lol
I was not harmed by it in anyway.
The one principal was a wimp it didn't even hurt and he was a big guy.
The assistant principle, little old lady it hurt a lot for a second or 2.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Sure, Urseberry. :))

Level one: highest level for formal essays and papers; no contractions; no abbreviations

Level two: middle level for informal essays or writing to someone regarding business; contractions & abbreviations allowed in moderation

Level three: used for friendly letters; somewhat like a verbal conversation, but in print. Friendly conversations as well; use of slang permitted as well as contractions, abbreviations; and conversation with friends.

I hope this helps, but if anyone has a different version, let me know :))

If you've heard of Conrad Black, our Canadian multi-millionaire who renounced his Canadian Citizenship to become The Lord Of Crossharbour (in Britain). He was tried by the American government for numerous offences, spent time in jail in the US, and 'suffered' the humiliation of having many of his 'badges of honour' taken away. He always speaks to the press in Level 1 hoping to confound and confuse any reporter. As one reporter commented while attempting to interview him, "You need to have a dictionary in hand while attempting an interview. The words 'pompous ass' come to mind :bigsmile:

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Isabel!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When mom was little, kids used to have to hold their hands out and the teacher would smack them over the knuckles w/a ruler. A guy I dated had a dad who was a teacher, and taught when my mom was in school (he was only 12 years older than me just so that doesn't sound like I was dating some old fart or something), and he had a baseball bat. I think he mostly used it to smash desks. They also got ruler smacks on the butt.

Now...there's no "punishment" or "consequences" for anything. Which is why JD is called to the middle school at *least* once a week.

There shouldn't be children being beaten *anywhere*, not just "don't beat my kids in school"...like what, it's ok to beat them at home?

Are we talkin' kids coming home w/broken bones? Stitches? Black eyes? Bruises from being thrown down a flight of stairs? Or are we talkin' a 14 year old who told the teacher "**** you" and got a slap across the face?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
crown1|1397844367|3655590 said:
Maybe you should rethink that comment and the accusation against a variety of people. Fair is fair and that was not. Unbecoming a gentleman.

+1

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
That settles it. I am moving to a red state immediately. :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
We have lived in both states where it is and isn't allowed. I have in the past and will continue to make it pretty damn clear if ANYONE raises a hand to either of my kids for CP there is no limit to the amount of hell I will bring down on them. However I have noticed that most private schools don't allow CP (in my experience from the states we have lived in that do allow it) and as my kids grow that is probably the route we will take. I don't think a school that allows CP is a good fit for us.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1397871468|3655806 said:
crown1|1397844367|3655590 said:

+1

Thanks, VapidLapid. Ever since our marathon thread together I have valued your posting more than ever.

Deb
:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you beat a student in the public schools in my "red" (on your map) state, you would be arrested for assault, fired, and that would be the end of it.

Most school systems would be too afraid of lawsuits to actually allow corporal punishment even if it was technically legal.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Deb.
I very much appreciate you saying that.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Everyone have their own values and ideals.

To be quite honest, the description is far from what actually takes place re: punishment.
I know. I used to go to one of those schools (and I went to school in a BLUE state, go figure).

Just seeing how some kids are being raised, a good swatting isn't a bad idea (judge me if you want).

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Whatever happened to "if you don't like it, don't go there/ look at it"?
I seem to hear it A LOT from folks who happen to want to shove their lifestyles down people's throats.
Very hypocritical.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The "if you don't like it" theory doesn't really work when you're talking about public school attendance, which is determined by boundary maps. You go to the school that's assigned to your neighborhood, and that's how you get access to buses, etc. It's not possible to just go someplace else if you don't like the policies.

I lived in a CP state for a few years when I was in elementary school. I remember kids getting paddled in front of the class with a wooden paddle that had holes in it (size of a ping pong paddle). It always seemed to be the same kid over and over again - probably some type of ADHD situation going on - I still remember that boy's name. The teacher really wailed on him, time and time again. It was terrible. And it never resulted in a behavioral change - that child got paddled almost every day for something or another that he probably couldn't help. I never got paddled, but I also barely ever spoke, never volunteered for anything, and never expressed any individuality or creativity. It was a completely stifling environment for children because we all lived in fear of punishment and humiliation.

I'm with SB - if I lived in a state where this was legal and being utilized, I would raise holy hell, let me tell you. It's up to the people residing in these areas to force change. How utterly barbaric.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
We have CP in my RED state and our district opts out. However so you all understand how this works its not some random teacher grabbing a recalcitrant student and wailing the living crap out of them.
Only 2 staff persons are legally allowed to, the principal and asst principal. They must call the parents and discuss why and how many paddles the student gets, FYI the most is 3. The parent must give permission. This is all done in front of a witness who is informed in front of the student, why the student is being paddled and it is over in seconds.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I was "beaten" as a child, by the school. It was my choice; call the parents or "get paddled". It was for talking in class. I always got done with all my work first, and sometimes talked. Eventually, that particular teacher decided I was cheating (how?!) and the idea that a kid as unattractive as me could be smart just never worked it's way into his head.

Bend over, touch your toes, 2 whacks with a paddle.

It was FAR preferable to calling my parents.

Would I allow them to do that to my kid? Hell, no.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH was paddled in school. I would never allow the school to paddle my kid. In private schools it used to be pretty common. In one school where the school did want to paddle kids, we were called by the principal and told that a student at the school had threatened to kill one of my boys (because he wasn't a fan of his very disturbed art work), and the principal wanted us to tell our son to be nicer to this kid. Seriously. I wouldn't trust an idiot like that to administer any kind of discipline to a kid.

It is ironic to me that if a parent was swatting a mis-behaving kid in a store child services would/could be called, but those states would let a school apply that discipline no problem. Odd.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results