shape
carat
color
clarity

How Long Do You Go Between Major Diamond Purchases? a ramble

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my new ACA, don't get me wrong. I look at it 543 times a day and clean it maybe 11 :appl:
and I've bought it a few little sparkle friends.
But Yet.
A little voice in my head keeps saying "life is short! go buy an Asscher and an OEC! NOW!!!"
I figured it might be prudent to kind of stretch out the purchases to get more "juice" out of each hunt and gather experience.

Which is why I'm over here on Hangout readying Kenny's irreverent posts and looking at someone's "brown stone". I can't leave [after all, this is the high IQ website-what better company than this?!]

I'll ask what I asked 6 months ago - where the heck is the 12-step thread?! :errrr: :lol:
How often do you purchase major jewelry?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How Long Do You Go Between Major Diamond Purchases? a ra

Not long enough... :Up_to_something: just ask my husband. And 12 Step Program... Where do I sign up?!?! :read:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

It's an addiction J. Since finding PS I have amassed quite the collection! Primarily staples (studs, pendant). I'm on BGD, WF, JA, GOG daily. Yearning for upgrades and/or different shapes of stones. I don't want to trade in my current pieces, just buy more :naughty:

And I'm addicted to the CS forum. That is a dangerous place :Up_to_something:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

woofmama|1397823231|3655453 said:
It's an addiction J. Since finding PS I have amassed quite the collection! Primarily staples (studs, pendant). I'm on BGD, WF, JA, GOG daily. Yearning for upgrades and/or different shapes of stones. I don't want to trade in my current pieces, just buy more :naughty:

And I'm addicted to the CS forum. That is a dangerous place :Up_to_something:
oh dear yes.
staples! of course. like keeping rice and tomato sauce in the cupboard. =)
and then there is the gourmet stuff.
well, at least I don't feel so alone...here the addiction seems so normal :lol:
before finding PS I thought my life-long reaction to jewelry stores was a bit weird.
Now I visit them to bask, perchance to be tempted.
the good news is that thanks to PS my standards have gone far beyond most of the B&M goods.
Like you I'm on the www. hunt daily. I call it "educational research" :devil:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since I joined 5 years ago I've only purchased a 5 stone (only major purchase), a diamond band (used), and a .58 OEC.
Pretty minimal compared to a lot of people on PS. I'm a stay at home mother so my bling budget is limited. If I still worked
Like I did before kids that list would include diamond huggies, a dbty necklace and bracelet and probably a reset for my pear
Engagement ring...oh, and the .58 OEC would be a lot bigger :D .

justginger

Ideal_Rock

It's been around a year since I bought my pink diamond - I've really slowed down since dropping to part time work, full time uni. Post-graduation, I'll get back into the swing of things. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've slowed down considerably as well. I think getting my OEC ER satiated the desire to keep purchasing other jewelry. Since the OEC purchase (Jan 2013) I purchased ruby and diamond earrings and a ruby necklace and some other smaller jewelry purchases with no real desire to make any other major purchases at this time. Ofc health issues are also consuming my energy, time and focus so not really concentrating on jewelry these days due to this reason also. Though PS continues to be a nice diversion from my discomfort.

I think once you have satisfied your major thirst (i.e. gotten your dream piece(s) ) you will be satiated and the desire/need to keep purchasing/searching for the "one" will slow down.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I haven't bought anything since last week, so I think I've slowed down. LOL!

Seriously, I haven't had a major diamond purchase since around 2010 when I got my 5 stone trellis ring from BGD, but I have made smaller purchases quite often. I go in spurts I suppose. Sometimes I find things I like and purchase on a whim. The same goes for my bags and shoes.
I did sell a few things last year that weren't really getting worn and I will probably sell a few more things in the next couple of months or so.

Currently I would like to reset my diamond into a plain solitaire, just deciding what I really want and what band I should wear with it.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ha I go about 10-15 years lol

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

I try to limit major items to 1 x year. I think my husband will occasionally throw that off with an unexpected gift, but I plan for 1 major expenditure per year and try to keep major anniversaries and birthdays w/in that plan. I also try to limit my research to when I'm really planning/buying or selling.

It's difficult, for me anyway, to not be distracted by all the gorgeous items here, and sometimes it helps me to take a break and concentrate on other non-shiny things!
I do hope to adopt a one in one out policy someday....it works with clothes, it seems it should work with jewelry!?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

2-3 times a year at the moment. They aren't major purchases. I've bought a little second-hand sapphire ring, a second-hand Cartier trinity ring in the last year, and little semi-precious, wire wrapped silver earrings in the past year.

My last very large purchase was my 1.7ish OEC earrings in Summer 2012. My next major purchase is to upgrade my OEC earrings, but that's a long-term project and will be the largest thing I've ever purchased to date. I'm hoping to have those in the next 2-5 yrs.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Define major. :bigsmile:

jackets1.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Now that I have the rings I love, I don't buy any other diamond jewelry. I don't really have any desire or need to and the recent price hikes are silly.

I'm much more into necklaces from Tiffany and Co. Now that I need to stop! How many necklaces does anyone really need?!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm going on 7 years, and I don't see another diamond purchase in my future anytime soon. Something else always comes up!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I'd say 2-5 years. I got my studs last Mother's day (2013), the next purchase will probably be 2015 (my 15th anniversary), however I have no needs/wants, perhaps a reset?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain|1397844921|3655594 said:
Define major. :bigsmile:

jackets1.jpg

yeh. I dunno. My original budget [last Fall] was around $300-$400 for a diamond stacking ring, :lol: then I discovered PS and my priorities in life & expectations changed drastically.
Still, I'm a pragmatist and can't see myself spending more than 4-6K on a stone or 1500 on a band, tops. I like moderately sized diamonds, so that works and I wouldn't just buy on impulse in that price range. I love to research and the stone is the reward and the souvenir at the end.

Now that I've written all that I would say that major to me means pushing the button on a diamond and thinking -wow I actually just bought that! It feels a little :naughty:
And you?

ps. is that photo a clue??

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe|1397849872|3655630 said:
I'm going on 7 years, and I don't see another diamond purchase in my future anytime soon. Something else always comes up!

maybe that's why I want to buy everything now before reality sticks it's nose into my diamond fantasy world :lol:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Jimmianne|1397856321|3655697 said:
yeh. I dunno. My original budget [last Fall] was around $300-$400 for a diamond stacking ring, :lol: then I discovered PS and my priorities in life & expectations changed drastically.
Still, I'm a pragmatist and can't see myself spending more than 4-6K on a stone or 1500 on a band, tops. I like moderately sized diamonds, so that works and I wouldn't just buy on impulse in that price range. I love to research and the stone is the reward and the souvenir at the end.

Now that I've written all that I would say that major to me means pushing the button on a diamond and thinking -wow I actually just bought that! It feels a little :naughty:
And you?

ps. is that photo a clue??

So far you have 2 diamond rings that I know of, right? And you're looking for a different shape now Yeah, you've got the bug. You're not as bad as I am, but you get it. I'm just lucky that I like small diamonds, or I'd be living under a bridge with my diamonds. I like to research and study them myself, but that often ends up with another stone finding it's way to me. I was just on WF's site a few hours ago, and it's going to cost me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A clue? No, more like a confession. :oops: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ive-been-a-bad-bad-girl.200924/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ive-been-a-bad-bad-girl.200924/[/URL] :oops:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock

Not long enough, :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: but except for my E-ring and its setting, it helps that I only buy estate! I also purge every time that I buy a new piece, that way, my collection keeps getting better and I don't feel so guilty about spending my mad money.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's been about half a year but I feel like I am still building my diamond uniform. When I get there, I think I will slow down significantly to reassess. :). Poor DH...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

I want to buy every week.
But I would feel comfortable with a 'major' purchase every five years (to coincide with a major anniversary year).
Although I do want to get a couple more pieces (studs, bracelet, maybe a diamond brooch) more quickly than that!
SMALL pieces say twice a year or *cough* maybe three times. but that's it! By small I mean under a thousand or maybe under two thousand.
My husband might spend a bit on me at christmas as well if I'm lucky, but it'll be pot luck.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great question, Jimmianne! Mine seems to average every couple of years and I am working on another one very soon. I can't stop myself. DSS is a disease and I've certainly caught it. I am really arguing with myself on this too. Today I was in an elevator and saw "oooh this has good diamond light" and my first thought is I don't need a new diamond there is nothing wrong with this one. Then immediately I went to "but a bigger diamond would look better".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel like I am always watching for the next piece of jewelry, whatever that may be! I can't buy diamonds all the time, so I have bought platinum settings and searched for colored stones, ventured into luxury watches, buy a thing or two off ebay now and then like designer pieces, etc. The first 7 years I was here, my big journey involved getting the right e-ring diamond, and it only took 3 tries to get that right! :lol: I also have had multiple pairs of studs and would still like one more upgrade, but I doubt I will do it because I don't like the price increases at a carat. There are still a few things I want like a long DBTY necklace, but I am hesitating pulling the trigger because the prices just seem so high to me. I am more likely to be buying more colored stone rings in the future than I am diamonds, although I'd love to have an AVC and an EC.

I really have to be careful because there is no point in buying a whole bunch of stuff I never wear. So I am trying to be selective and buy fewer really nice things.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

After getting an OEC a few years ago, and recently resetting it, I actually think I'm done with major purchases. There are a few things that I'm attracted by and sometimes feel I would like to own, mainly either a sapphire or yellow diamond in a halo, but then practicality sets in and I question whether or not I would wear it that often; I don't really wear rhrs and I enjoy wearing my ering so much. I just don't want to spend money on something I won't end up wearing that much.

I'm going to limit myself to smaller, less expensive items such as a few different bands to wear with my ering. I really love getting something new once in a while! Even such "smaller" purchases can be pretty pricey sometimes! ;(

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

Butterfly17|1397837239|3655545 said:
I haven't bought anything since last week, so I think I've slowed down. LOL!

Seriously, I haven't had a major diamond purchase since around 2010 when I got my 5 stone trellis ring from BGD, but I have made smaller purchases quite often. I go in spurts I suppose. Sometimes I find things I like and purchase on a whim. The same goes for my bags and shoes.
I did sell a few things last year that weren't really getting worn and I will probably sell a few more things in the next couple of months or so.

Currently I would like to reset my diamond into a plain solitaire, just deciding what I really want and what band I should wear with it.
DIBS!. You have gorgeous pieces. I call dibs!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock

I just sent my stones to have my band made, and I am already thinking of a five stone BGD Trellis ring. Which is completely nuts!!!!
(I am very curious to know how large the stones would need to be)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

I have joined PS about 18months and in that time i have amassed 3 rings and a pendant.... and also thinking of another project!!!
so, i have not slowed down... i should but these sparklies get to me ALL the time!
oh- not to mention a luxury watch!!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

For me, I think it's less chronology and more opportunity that separates the purchases - I mean, sure, given endless funds, I'd find more opportunities, but since I'm an academic and a cheapskate (it's like the inverse of being an officer and a gentleman), it tends to be a case of my, a) finding a screaming deal, and, b) finding a screaming deal that is rare enough that I cannot bring myself to pass it up. And depending on how much whatever it is is, I tend to apply it to whatever gift-giving occasion(s) are in that vicinity.

This year I've kind of front-loaded things .... :Up_to_something:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I don't really go off a timeline but I do tend to buy pieces that symbolize an important part of my life or milestone. After I got my upgrade AC I thought I would go without jewelry for years!!! Then we found out we were moving to Europe so I ended up doing a bunch of resets and then set new stuff (still adds up!), and now I just got 2ct plus studs because old cuts are just getting really expensive and my dream studs are tranny/ OEC's.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I've made five major purchases since joining PS, so I guess mine is technically every 2.2 or so years. Everyone has a different view of what "major" is, though...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results