shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor pictures and owner pictures of PS stones

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the first ever loose CS that I have purchased (a new and potentially pricy hobby/obsession :cheeky: )
Since I'm new to this, I decided to try some stones that were all under $100. I ended up getting one (the green tourmaline) that was $180, but the spinel was $72 and the citrine was $53.

I want to set the spinel and tourmaline into two rings, but I'm still thinking of what I want. Maybe bezel, maybe halo.... probably not solitaire. I would welcome ideas. No idea what to do with the citrine yet.. :)

ETA: I took these photos with my Samsung phone, so they're not the best quality. :>

1. Pink Namya spinel cushion, 1.5ct, 6.5 x 6 x 4.5 mm deep
Vendor photo:
spinel_2.jpg

My photos: in real life the spinel is much more pink and much brighter, but somehow my photos show a lot of purple/blue. :( Also, due to the way the spinel has been cut I don't really notice the inclusions unless I'm looking at it really really super-close up. (Inclusions and blemish were noted in the vendor description). I found that this stone glows a bit even in low/dim light situation, but is a nice straightforward bright pink in natural sunlight. :)
pink_namya_spinel_1.jpg
pink_namya_spinel_2.jpg
pink_namya_spinel_3.jpg

2. Brazilian Citrine, Portuguese oval, 5.34 ct, 12.7 x 11.9 x 7.8 mm deep
Vendor photo:
citrine.jpg

My photos: I would say that this gem, in some situations, looks like the vendor photo. However, when indoors it seems to be slightly more brown and less "gold", though it's probably just the terrible lighting at home (fluorescent + blue & green painted walls). It was very difficult to get an accurate photo. Here are two of the best shots, though they don't come close to the actual colors.
citrine1.jpg
citrine2.jpg

3. Green tourmaline from Afghanistan, 3.11 ct, 8.7 x 6.6 mm deep, Portuguese RB
Vendor photo:
tourmaline_1.jpg

My photos: I found the vendor photos to be relatively accurate here. It's a pale green when indoors but turns a darker, richer green in natural sunlight.
tourmaline1.jpg tourmaline2.jpg

As you can probably tell, I am currently going through a "Portuguese" phase. 8)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently picked up a 4.99ct Pink Tourmaline from Jerry (Gemart Services) - his pic was very peachy in color (on my monitor) but his description said it was a classic pink Tourmaline, that the inclusions were not apparent in person, and that the stone was a lighter pink than shown the picture.

gemart_-_tou009_-_1_1.jpg

My primary reason for buying this Tourmaline is that it's from the San Diego Himalaya mine - I knew it would be well-cut and at almost 5 carats it'd be a good size - I thought even if it was peachier and more included than my preference, I'd like it for my loose gem collection.

But when I opened the box, I was stunned at this beauty! Jerry wasn't kidding, the inclusions are not apparent, and it is a very bright and very pretty pink color - I think it is a treasure, and definitely setting-worthy.

dsc01222_-_2.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently picked up a 4.99ct Pink Tourmaline from Jerry (Gemart Services) - his pic was very peachy in color (on my monitor) but his description said it was a classic pink Tourmaline, that the inclusions were not apparent in person, and that the stone was a lighter pink than shown in the picture.

gemart_-_tou009_-_1_1.jpg

My primary reason for buying this Tourmaline is that it's from the San Diego Himalaya mine - I knew it would be well-cut and at almost 5 carats it'd be a good size - I thought even if it was peachier and more included than my preference, I'd like it for my loose gem collection.

But when I opened the box, I was stunned at this beauty! Jerry wasn't kidding, the inclusions are not apparent, and it is a very bright and very pretty pink color - I think it is a treasure, and definitely setting-worthy.

dsc01160.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marymm, that really does look like a stunner. So what color is it actually? It appears salmony in your pictures (which I love), but I can't tell if its just a trick of the camera?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1390777613|3601694 said:
Marymm, that really does look like a stunner. So what color is it actually? It appears salmony in your pictures (which I love), but I can't tell if its just a trick of the camera?

Oops, I just noticed I accidentally posted twice up above - sorry!

Anyways, the Pink Tourmaline is really a bright light pink, with a slight orange hue in some lights - so, yes, it is salmony (I had to google "salmon" to make sure I know what that color actually is!) - and luckily, not peachy/brown-y at all.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Vendor: Mart Sarosi @ africagems.com

Vendor Pic:
yhst-71585368631737_2295_30434247.jpg

My pics:
First three represent a very accurate color, despite the blue-ish tone of the cotton and paper.

p1050473.jpg

p1050479.jpg

p1050478.jpg

These are slightly more intense yellow than real life (and I was wearing a dark blue top), but provide a better image of the faceting:

p1050565.jpg

p1050562.jpg

p1050561.jpg

p1050553.jpg

p1050550.jpg

Hope that helps!!!

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Vendor: Marc Sarosi @ AfricaGems.com

Vendor Picture
yhst-71585368631737_2300_129899305.jpg

My pictures

Despite the off-blue tinge in the cotton/paper, the color of the stone is a good reflection of "real" life in outdoor lighting.

p1050468.jpg

p1050472.jpg

p1050471.jpg

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Another one from Marc Sarosi (africagems.com)

With the three stones I ordered from Marc, I found that his descriptions captured the stone better than the picture. Upon request, he will film a little video of the stones you are considering. His video was VERY helpful and also (based on the three stones I ordered) very accurate. I would not hesitate to purchase from him again. Great customer service.

Yellow oval sapphire

vendor image
yhst-71585368631737_2297_69317797.jpg

my images

Because this stone was not my favorite of the batch, I did not take a lot of photos.

img_6818.jpg

img_6819.jpg

The color is a bit greyer than reality. Lighting was indoor desk lamp.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Jeff Davies Yellow cushion sapphire. My SO dealt with Jeff (so this is second-hand account). My SO really enjoyed JDavies' input. Jeff answered all our questions, provided extra photos and was a joy to deal with. I would not hesitate to purchase from him again (in fact, I have my eye on something right now!)

6.01ct yellow cushion sapphire, described as "canary" colored by JDavies.

vendor photo

On pinterest:

8565d10525e1dbf204a8cd055a84f543.jpg

Images from email inquiry:
He stated that the ones taken in the box were the most accurate reflection of the color
image001_6.jpg

dsc_0026.jpg

image002_8.jpg

My SO's pics
He says that the stone appears in the pictures as a slightly darker tone than IRL.

2014-01-25_16_1.jpg

(Center stone)
2014-01-25_16_0.jpg

img_7465.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jereni|1356902231|3343012 said:
I've been meaning to contribute to this thread for awhile. Here's a few:

5.75 ct mint green tourmaline from Jerry at Gem Art Services.

Vendor pic:
greenie.jpg

My pic. His pic was very true to life. If anything, he missed the blue modifer that shows up indoors.
greenie_box.jpg

I LOVE this stone - I think one of its pics is still on his website, and it's the most beautiful minty to blue color I can think of - that, and the cut is amazing! I think the stone looks better in real life than Jerry's pic :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last week I won an Ebay auction for a blue/purple spinel, and unfortunately I think I'm going to have to return it. It does not really look like the photo or the video and it's too dark for my liking. My first strike out! I have purchased 5 CS since I started my *cough*cough* obsession and this is the first one which I felt didn't work for me to the point where I had to return it. However, it is quite overcast here today so I might wait another day to check it out in proper daylight before deciding whether to return or not. I've learned an important lesson - that I prefer lighter color stones (mostly due to the fact that I sit in horrible indoor office lighting all day).

Here is the vendor pic:

ps05059.jpg

Here are the two best shots that I took. It took very long to get any halfway decent shots because most of the time the spinel was very dark. It is much darker to my eyes than the photo and vendor video would suggest. :cry:
weak_daylight1.jpg
box1.jpg

But most of the time the stone looks more like this to me, especially when facing straight down. Funnily, it looks better when slightly tilted at an angle:
indoor.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more photo. This was taken outdoors on an overcast day (bright-ish but no direct sunlight).

2014-02-05_12.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko,
I would not give up on medium to medium dark just yet. In this particular case, I think it's just due to the vendor's photography. If the spinel looked as pictured, you may find your opinion a little different. To get around this, it helps to shop for a lighter toned spinel and then expect to receive a darker toned (but not dark) stone. Am I making sense?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1391782261|3609991 said:
Mochiko,
I would not give up on medium to medium dark just yet. In this particular case, I think it's just due to the vendor's photography. If the spinel looked as pictured, you may find your opinion a little different. To get around this, it helps to shop for a lighter toned spinel and then expect to receive a darker toned (but not dark) stone. Am I making sense?

Chrono: are you saying shoot for a lighter toned stone from that vendor, or to shoot for a lighter toned stone in general?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed that most vendors' photographs show a lighter and more saturated stone but in person, the stone is a bit darker and grayer. I'm suggesting that perhaps it might be good to shop for a lighter toned stone, then receive one that is darker than pictured (but just what you wanted). I'm still not sure if I'm making any sense. :wink2:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1391797816|3610170 said:
I've noticed that most vendors' photographs show a lighter and more saturated stone but in person, the stone is a bit darker and grayer. I'm suggesting that perhaps it might be good to shop for a lighter toned stone, then receive one that is darker than pictured (but just what you wanted). I'm still not sure if I'm making any sense. :wink2:

Thanks so much for the tip! That was exactly what I was thinking myself. I am giving the vendor another go, but trying a stone which is a little bit lighter than my ideal, in the hopes that it will be darker than in the photo and then.. bingo! :)

Although one of the other reasons I returned the spinel was because it had areas of extinction (like, half of the stone would remain dark no matter how I rotated it.. which was a bit frustrating!).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get you on the half extinction too; it's just not my thing. ;(

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more learner stones for y'all. (Yes I have been on a buying spree this month. No, it has nothing to do with pre-wedding nerves. better keep my visa card away from Ebay!!! :naughty: :naughty: )

JEFF DAVIES SUNSTONE:
Despite the previous return of the first gem I bought from him (see previous post about the dark spinel), I persevered and bought a sunstone and topaz on Jeff's Ebay auction site. I haven't got any good photos of the topaz because it's camera shy, but it's a nice stone for the price I paid. However I <3 <3 <3 the sunstone. It has a champagne/peachy color and is very sparkly. I think I've gained a better sense of how to read Jeff's photos and videos now.

Vendor photo and description:
Weight - 1.03 ct
Size - 6.5 mm
Clarity - VS - Eye Clean
Origin - Oregon - USA
No treatments whatsoever!
ps05211.jpg

My photos:
jeff_davies_sunstone_1.jpg
jeff_davies_sunstone.jpg
Blurry but shows the fire :)
jeff_davies_sunstone_3.jpg

TAN - EMERALD :)

I wanted an emerald to add to my collection, and for under $20 (including shipping) I figured this was worth a shot. It's a lot smaller than I imagined but then I have always been terrible at spatial / visual measurements. You don't always see the blue modifier, mostly in daylight. It's so small that I don't notice the jardin/inclusions, just the little pop of color in my hand :rodent: Not sure if I'll set this, maybe just keep it as a loose gem.

Vendor detail:
Origin: Tanzania
Weight: 0.53 ct. Size:(WxLxH) 6 x 5 x 3.2 mm.
Shape: Oval
Treatment: No Treatment
Hardness: 7.5 - 8
Color: Bluish Green
Clarity: SI 1
emerald_vendor.jpg

My photo:
tan_emerald_1.jpg

AMETRINE STEP CUT SQUARE (DANA)
I've been wanting an Ametrine Asscher but when I saw this step cut gem at Mastercut I couldn't resist. It is definitely camera shy and looks way better in real life than in both vendor and my photos. It was my first time purchasing from Dana and he is awesome. He even sent me the little citrine side stones (in the photo) as a first-time buyer gift!! I am definitely going to buy from him again.

Vendor details:

Origin: Bolivia
Weight: 4.15 carat
Size: 10mm
Clarity: vvs2 eye clean
Cut: Square Step cut
Color: purple and gold
Treatment: none
ametrine_vendor.jpg

My photo:
ametrine_and_citrine.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two to share. Yellow rectangular sapphire from The gem trader. This is the less accurate of the two. Forgive the cropping on the vendor pic. Second is a yellow chrysoberyl I got from finewater gems. Very accurate.

uploadfromtaptalk1397051412598.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397051447681.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397051463195.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397051543495.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
never got to do this,

so here are jeff's photos:

dsc_0001.jpg
sapphire_5.jpg

and it's a little less green-saturated in real-life. the shade of color is pretty accurate though. I just wish I could keep my sapphire as sparkly as it appears in his photos, it gets oily/ foggy/ dirty quick! the color darkens and brightens for me depending on my light (duh), but luckily I love it all.

p1170181.jpg
p1170065_0.jpg
p1170082.jpg

long-beach-rox

Rough_Rock
Its always nice to have wonderful discussions on forums where your can find all the relevant information you are searching for.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
From Xcellentgem on ebay, paid under $40 for it! $148/ carat 0.27 ct, I2 Clarity, Vivid Fancy Yellow, Unheated/untreated

sdfdgrffer.jpg

AussieG

Rough_Rock
Weight: 0.79cts. Measurements: 6.4x5mm, depth 3mm. Clarity: VVS. Origin: Sri Lanka.
Enhancements: Heat only. Description: Lightest, brightest peachy pink color.
The stone looks very much pink to me most of the time, but I plan on setting it in yellow gold to help bring out some peachiness.

Vendor pics:
sapphire_pink_462_a.jpg
sapphire_pink_462.jpg
I found it really difficult to get accurate photos, but here are my pics.
Night time in normal household lighting:
img_0029.jpg img_0028.jpg img_0038.jpg

Morning inside near window on overcast day:

img_0044_0.jpg img_0046.jpg

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Bought from Blaze Whartone at blazengems.com
Vendor pics (I had to email and ask for these, the photo on the webpage was blurry/worthless).

sam_8322.jpg

sam_8319.jpg

sam_8323.jpg

sam_8324.jpg

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Owner pics - my first time photographing a gem.

sany0027.jpg

_17294.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
AussieG|1398312409|3658945 said:
Weight: 0.79cts. Measurements: 6.4x5mm, depth 3mm. Clarity: VVS. Origin: Sri Lanka.
Enhancements: Heat only. Description: Lightest, brightest peachy pink color.
The stone looks very much pink to me most of the time, but I plan on setting it in yellow gold to help bring out some peachiness.

Vendor pics:
sapphire_pink_462_a.jpg
sapphire_pink_462.jpg
I found it really difficult to get accurate photos, but here are my pics.
Night time in normal household lighting:
img_0029.jpg img_0028.jpg img_0038.jpg

Morning inside near window on overcast day:

img_0044_0.jpg img_0046.jpg

Meow!

Lovely color! Looks nice next to the kitty's nose.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a few stones recently from Master cut, able to compare quite a lot with vendor photos.
1.Pink tourmaline

28635.jpg

img_4544.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
red spinel

28641.jpg

img_4545.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
green tourmaline

28638.jpg