shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning an antique ring?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
any thoughts on cleaning this antique ring?
I've had it for years - wore it all through college and didn't mind the dirt, grime, and damage....but after having it put away for a while I'm looking at it with fresh eyes and thinking, aside from damage, it's filthy. any safe way to clean w/o seeking out a jeweler?
thanks...

dsc_4741.jpg

dsc_4735.jpg

dsc_4736.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
It's a very pretty design. It looks like the side pearls have worn well into the mop bead. What kind of metal is your ring made of?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1398010395|3656612 said:
It's a very pretty design. It looks like the side pearls have worn well into the mop bead. What kind of metal is your ring made of?

It's 14k I believe. I know it's a bit rough, but I'm really fond if it. I'm hesitant to do more than scrub with warm water and a baby toothbrush. Maybe I should leave it at that for cleaning.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm no expert but I use a jar of liquid cleaner (with the little plastic basket and brush) that says it's for "delicate jewelry," like pearls and opals. It might be further cleaned in it because you can leave it to soak in the solution. If you're in the US, Walmart has it in their jewelry section, next to the jars of the same size that contain regular jewelry cleaner and sterling silver cleaner. I wonder if a jeweler could replace the worn side pearls for you. It really is a lovely ring. :)

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I'll look out for the cleaning solution.
I'm sure a jeweler could replace the worn pearls - I may have it fixed-up for my daughter at some point. I really don't wear this ring anymore, but I think it will be nice to hand down.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Many ladies use Dr Bonners baby castile soap to clean even the most expensive pearls. A few drops in a bowl of tepid water. If there is a lot of grime in and around the pearls I might use a soft tiny make up brush to work it out. (toothbrush is too harsh) If your pearls are old akoya's soaking the ring could damage the good pearls if water gets between the layer of nacre and mop bead. Your local jeweler may sell Sunshine cloths which are great to polish the gold or remove tarnish without harm. I love them.

drbonners.jpg

_17163.jpg

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1398108857|3657280 said:
Many ladies use Dr Bonners baby castile soap to clean even the most expensive pearls. A few drops in a bowl of tepid water. If there is a lot of grime in and around the pearls I might use a soft tiny make up brush to work it out. (toothbrush is too harsh) If your pearls are old akoya's soaking the ring could damage the good pearls if water gets between the layer of nacre and mop bead. Your local jeweler may sell Sunshine cloths which are great to polish the gold or remove tarnish without harm. I love them.

Thank you so much for the info!
Oow and I actually have some Dr Bonner's baby castile soap - remnants of my daughter's baby eczema.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results