shape
carat
color
clarity

Headed to Boston Marathon in 2 days. Getting excited!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking the red eye out on Thursday night and haven't even packed yet. Will need all the good weather dust I can get. Don't want to run in 30 or anything over 60 degree weather. Just need a good run day, and to feel strong and healthy. My first Boston. Can hardly believe it.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
How cool is this? I am hoping the weather is just how you want it, I like running in about 45-50 degree weather. I am doing my first half-marathon next weekend and am super excited about it. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and remember it is your race and run it how you want to run it and remember pain is only temporary, the joy you will feel crossing the finish line will last forever.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1397644395|3654249 said:
How cool is this? I am hoping the weather is just how you want it, I like running in about 45-50 degree weather. I am doing my first half-marathon next weekend and am super excited about it. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and remember it is your race and run it how you want to run it and remember pain is only temporary, the joy you will feel crossing the finish line will last forever.

Thank you lknvrb4. I needed to hear exactly that, that it's my race. It's been a hard year. My running group broke up and my best friend who has done 13 marathons had a stroke. I miss her a lot and haven't felt motivated to run, ironic especially after I qualified for Boston. She's given up marathons although she is faster now than even before. It's not like she can't run but the doctors are recommending that she not do marathons anymore because they are worried it might be too much strain on her body.

Then I started running again and felt all this pressure (a lot if it self inflicted I admit) to train hard and perform at this race. To be honest I am just glad I have it in me to get on that plane and get to the starting line. I am focused exactly on running exactly how I feel. Thank you for that perfectly timed reminder.

How exciting for you that you are doing your first half!! Where is it going to be? A big one or a little one? I've grown to love the little ones more and more because they are less congested. Are you feeling healthy (uninjured)? Sending you lots of good vibes for a fun day, great weather and strong healthy body that can do that for you. I hope you will come back and let me know how it goes. :appl:

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your first Boston! It's an amazing experience and race. The course is very congested, which sounds like not your cup of tea (not mine either), but the crowd support is outstanding throughout. The city really does such a great job of supporting the race. I'm heading up for my third time. Not racing this year, as I'm just burned out from marathoning and I haven't forgotten the quad pain after running Boston last year, but my husband is and I'm planning on being out on the course cheering.

Just relax and enjoy the experience. It's really worth it. Have so much fun and safe travels!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1397656426|3654313 said:

Thank you lknvrb4. I needed to hear exactly that, that it's my race. It's been a hard year. My running group broke up and my best friend who has done 13 marathons had a stroke. I miss her a lot and haven't felt motivated to run, ironic especially after I qualified for Boston. She's given up marathons although she is faster now than even before. It's not like she can't run but the doctors are recommending that she not do marathons anymore because they are worried it might be too much strain on her body.

Then I started running again and felt all this pressure (a lot if it self inflicted I admit) to train hard and perform at this race. To be honest I am just glad I have it in me to get on that plane and get to the starting line. I am focused exactly on running exactly how I feel. Thank you for that perfectly timed reminder.

How exciting for you that you are doing your first half!! Where is it going to be? A big one or a little one? I've grown to love the little ones more and more because they are less congested. Are you feeling healthy (uninjured)? Sending you lots of good vibes for a fun day, great weather and strong healthy body that can do that for you. I hope you will come back and let me know how it goes. :appl:

Your welcome!! I am so sorry to hear about your best friend, I can't imagine being advised not to run. I run by myself since we have three kids and it would be nice some days to have a running buddy. I am doing the Illinois Marathon in Champaign. It has thousands of runners so not my cup of tea either since I don't like crowds. My sister and brother have done it so my husband and I thought we would give it a try. My brother is doing the full and trying to qualify for Boston. I think he will since he is an Ironman. :) I am feeling pretty good, have some inner knees pain that just popped up over the weekend. Lots of icing and stretching. I hope to be near 100% by next Saturday.
Let us know how you do, again best of luck!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I ran it 2 years ago - it was brutally hot, but the cheering and crowd support were amazing. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1397669884|3654469 said:
Congrats! I ran it 2 years ago - it was brutally hot, but the cheering and crowd support were amazing. Good luck and enjoy the experience!
SMC, you did it the year it was 90 plus with humidity right?? Wow!! I cAnt even imagine going four miles in that heat, let alone 26.2. You're amazing. I will focus on having fun. :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck, have fun!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondsforDee|1397659598|3654331 said:
Congratulations on your first Boston! It's an amazing experience and race. The course is very congested, which sounds like not your cup of tea (not mine either), but the crowd support is outstanding throughout. The city really does such a great job of supporting the race. I'm heading up for my third time. Not racing this year, as I'm just burned out from marathoning and I haven't forgotten the quad pain after running Boston last year, but my husband is and I'm planning on being out on the course cheering.

Just relax and enjoy the experience. It's really worth it. Have so much fun and safe travels!

Congratulations Diamond for doing it twice, and best of luck to your husband too. Hope has a great run! I saw this great sign at a race before "PR = BJ". Then a total stranger (guy) running next to me said "best sign I've seen all day". :lol:

And I totally hear you about burning out. It's my sixth full in two years and I'm tired. So I'm not motivated to PR. Just get through without feeling destroyed and enjoy it as much as possible. After this I have two in the summer that are just fun ones. I'm doing SF and I may just detour I the middle and end up at a laboulange. :). I actually really just wanted the t shirt in that one. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1397661978|3654357 said:
LLJsmom|1397656426|3654313 said:

Your welcome!! I am so sorry to hear about your best friend, I can't imagine being advised not to run. I run by myself since we have three kids and it would be nice some days to have a running buddy. I am doing the Illinois Marathon in Champaign. It has thousands of runners so not my cup of tea either since I don't like crowds. My sister and brother have done it so my husband and I thought we would give it a try. My brother is doing the full and trying to qualify for Boston. I think he will since he is an Ironman. :) I am feeling pretty good, have some inner knees pain that just popped up over the weekend. Lots of icing and stretching. I hope to be near 100% by next Saturday.
Let us know how you do, again best of luck!

Well, for your brother it's just a training run! Lol! How hilarious. We think 26.2 is a big deal. He does it after swimming 2+ miles and biking 112. Piece of cake for him. ;-). Best of luck to you and your hubby!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes to you, LLJsmom! That is impressive that you are running in the Boston! I'll be cheering for you from afar! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1397674131|3654511 said:
Good luck, have fun!

Thanks luv2sparkle! Gonna do my best...to have fun!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1397693764|3654708 said:
Best wishes to you, LLJsmom! That is impressive that you are running in the Boston! I'll be cheering for you from afar! :appl:

Thanks DS. Boston will help me get my mind off a certain delivery I expect to arrive on 4/22. I think I am more excited about that than Boston, truth be told...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on qualifying! I hope the weather is just perfect and you enjoy your run.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck LLJsmom!.. :wavey: and be sure to wear your E-ring so that we will recognize you when you cross the finish line... :appl:

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good Luck and Best Wishes, LLJsmom !

Jeff A. (Boston area born and raised)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1397705456|3654804 said:
Congratulations on qualifying! I hope the weather is just perfect and you enjoy your run.

Hi toopatient, I hope so too. Just landed and it's 30 degrees at 5 am. Oh dear. Gonna be cold...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1397706531|3654817 said:
Good luck LLJsmom!.. :wavey: and be sure to wear your E-ring so that we will recognize you when you cross the finish line... :appl:

Hi DF, thanks for the reminder! I wasn't planning on wearing the ring on my run but I think I will. Will try to take a ok at the finish line just for you!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on qualifying and on motivating yourself to follow thru with attending! Enjoy the experience of running the Boston Marathon!! Revel in the strength of your mind and your body!! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of good wishes coming your way!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1397829645|3655495 said:
Lots of good wishes coming your way!

From me too! :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom, according to local Boston weather, it's supposed to be 65 degrees on Monday.

Have fun running the marathon! I'm not too far away from Boston but I've never gone to watch it. I'm always working so I catch the highlights on the news.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Enerchi, MGR, missy and Zoe. I finished today. It was a humbling experience. The city was amazing.

I finished in 3:56. Not my best race but this did not feel like it was about me. :). It was a much bigger event than any one individual runner. Never would I have understood what Boston Strong meant if I had I not experienced the Boston Marathon. I felt privileged to participate.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Congratulations! That's fantastic! :appl: :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1398126654|3657456 said:
Thank you Enerchi, MGR, missy and Zoe. I finished today. It was a humbling experience. The city was amazing.

I finished in 3:56. Not my best race but this did not feel like it was about me. :). It was a much bigger event than any one individual runner. Never would I have understood what Boston Strong meant if I had I not experienced the Boston Marathon. I felt privileged to participate.
:appl: :appl: Congrats!!.. :appl: :appl:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1398126654|3657456 said:

We have our good races and bad races, congrats on just being there and being a part of something much bigger.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, LLJsmom! Kudos to you for finishing! I've heard it's a tough course for a marathon. What did you think of it? I'm glad to hear you had such a positive experience, and I can imagine how the crowds must have helped push you forward.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modified Brilliant|1398127393|3657467 said:
Congratulations! That's fantastic! :appl: :appl:

Modified Brilliant, I meant to thank you for your good wishes. It was a day I will never forget. The city of Boston astounded me with their resilience, courage, strength and grace. It was my privilege to participate in an event that defines them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1398180381|3657814 said:
Congratulations, LLJsmom! Kudos to you for finishing! I've heard it's a tough course for a marathon. What did you think of it? I'm glad to hear you had such a positive experience, and I can imagine how the crowds must have helped push you forward.

As for the course itself, it honestly was not that tough. I expected something really brutal for heartbreak hill, but it wasn't that bad. Most of the first 16-17 miles are mostly down hill or flat, with a little up hill here and there. Nothing big. At around 18, I started seeing slight inclines, that flattened out a little then another incline, then another flat section. It went on for about 2 miles, but honestly, it went soooo fast. When I got to 21.5ish, I stopped for water/gatorade and asked a couple of girls where heartbreak hill was, and they said I had finished it. I was surprised. I had done Big Sur marathon and that sucker is nothing but hills, steep brutal uphills, and then downhills that would kill your knees. This was nothing like it. I ran it really conservatively because I wanted to enjoy and soak in every step. At points when I wanted some energy, I veered toward the left and stuck my arm out. And a whole slew of hand stuck back out to me for high fives, and I'd get 15-20 slaps in a row. The crowds looked 5-6 deep from what I could see. People were handing out water, oranges, icy pops, licorice, gummy bears, everything. I had a girl friend who stopped for a coke. The city of Boston and the surrounding suburbs were taking back this event. It was WAY bigger than any one runner. I felt like I had to look up and make eye contact with the crowd for the whole time as soon as we got into Boston. There was not better way to pay tribute to these brave people and thank them for their generosity and support. I wanted to feel strong, and not dying so I walked through every water stop, drank and then continued. Lots of people complained about the heat, but it didn't bother me much. I train in northern CA, where we had a hot winter so I was used to it. And I drank a lot and had tons of salt pills, which kept away a lot of the cramping and muscle fatigue. I probably would have been a lot more miserable if I put my head down and raced. I couldn't make it about me. As I was coming down the last stretch of Boylston, a girl next to me stopped, and it broke my heart. I ran next to her, and asked her if she was ok and ran her in with me. It was great. I don't know if I will ever do the Boston Marathon again, but I'm blessed to have had the chance this year, which is different from any before, and probably will never be repeated. Even as we were walking along the street, at the airport and the hotel, Bostonians thanked us, which was a very humbling experience. I would go back to this amazing city any time. And hopefully really have a chance to get to know it and enjoy it.

Thanks for letting me share. I'm still processing and decompressing from the whole thing. God bless Boston.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for this wonderful heartfelt description. What an incredible experience to have, and be a part of. :))

Sub4h? :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results