shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you tell someone they have a personal hygiene issue?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you tell someone they have a personal hygiene issu

packrat|1397772981|3655224 said:
I have a huge fear of being the stinky girl. Just like I have a huge fear of having a stinky house. If someone comes to my house and knows I have cats before they see them, I would go crazy. If someone knew...I don't know, something gross, like if someone knew I had my period b/c I was not clean...I would just be completely mortified. But I would want to know, so I could take steps to remedy the situation. I don't know a *nice* way to receive that information tho. It's completely embarrassing, no matter who says it or how it's said.

So...yeah I have no advice, just ramblings, sorry.

Totally agree-it's mortifying and I would want to know. The kindest thing someone can do though under these circumstances IMO is to gently tell the person so they can help themselves. There is a huge difference b/w making fun of someone and actually helping them in a kind way and people know the difference. When something is said/done with kindness and caring and when something is said/done out of malice and disgust.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

I have a huge fear of being the stinky girl. Just like I have a huge fear of having a stinky house. If someone comes to my house and knows I have cats before they see them, I would go crazy. If someone knew...I don't know, something gross, like if someone knew I had my period b/c I was not clean...I would just be completely mortified. But I would want to know, so I could take steps to remedy the situation. I don't know a *nice* way to receive that information tho. It's completely embarrassing, no matter who says it or how it's said.

Packrat, your post reminded me of this article I read last year. I think you'll get a kick out of it (*warning* some may find it offensive). http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/menstruation-vagina-stink-up-office

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG I WOULD DIE!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

It makes me think of my frantic what-if thoughts when one of my coworkers is waiting to use the bathroom when I come out.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Unfortunately, I believe it was the menstruation scent I encountered yesterday, which prompted me to post.....

I have always had a hypersensitive nose, and it was on super-duper overdrive when I was pregnant, I used to be mortified by my own armpit odor, which my husband claims was non-existent to this day. I never wore perfum, body sprays until the first time I got pregnant!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I would absolutely not tell a work colleague I thought they had personal hygiene odor issues. I agree with all who said it's a matter for your human resources office.

I too used to be ridiculously hypersensitive to all odors but I think my sense of smell has diminished a bit with age. It was a curse really - every little chemical scent had me sneezing and wheezing and the faintest (to everyone else) "natural" scents had me gagging. Now I'm just normally hypersensitive, lol.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LAJennifer|1397775926|3655245 said:

Packrat, your post reminded me of this article I read last year. I think you'll get a kick out of it (*warning* some may find it offensive). http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/menstruation-vagina-stink-up-office

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rolling around in tears still laughing :lol: :lol:

That is... horrible!

And the comments were just as good :lol: :lol:
(make sure to read all the way past the dog/tampon stories and get into the "EEkk! My period!" stories too :lol: )

BhavinJ

Rough_Rock
Trade

I am highly alergic to bad breathe, smelly farts and body odor..I had to face all this whenever I use to travel in public transports. I literally start getting severe head aches :sick: if I come across any of these. The only solution I could find was to travel by my own vehicle.
I have this electronic room freshener fixed in my cabin which sprays every 15-30 secs...it helps a lot when someone with such bad odor visits my office. I also have a habit of wearing strong fragrance (my fav perfumes are Ferrari, David-off & CK). I spray 'em on my shirts collar so that if I have to forcefully greet such unhygienic persons I immediately pull the collar near my nose.. ;-)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

BhavinJ|1397804029|3655407 said:
I am highly alergic to bad breathe, smelly farts and body odor..I had to face all this whenever I use to travel in public transports. I literally start getting severe head aches :sick: if I come across any of these. The only solution I could find was to travel by my own vehicle.
I have this electronic room freshener fixed in my cabin which sprays every 15-30 secs...it helps a lot when someone with such bad odor visits my office. I also have a habit of wearing strong fragrance (my fav perfumes are Ferrari, David-off & CK). I spray 'em on my shirts collar so that if I have to forcefully greet such unhygienic persons I immediately pull the collar near my nose.. ;-)

Many people (including myself) are allergic to perfume/cologne, so while you may react to body odor, bad breath, etc., others around you are sensitive and reacting to your strong fragrances. Something to keep in mind….

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1397824670|3655465 said:

Many people (including myself) are allergic to perfume/cologne, so while you may react to body odor, bad breath, etc., others around you are sensitive and reacting to your strong fragrances. Something to keep in mind….

Add another who is allergic to perfume/cologne. There are lots of us out there.
Reactions are far worse than severe head aches -- including asthma attacks. People have died due to people wearing scents around them.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

TooPatient|1397825126|3655467 said:

Reactions are far worse than severe head aches -- including asthma attacks. People have died due to people wearing scents around them.

It's awful and yes, it can certainly make people physically ill. I was surprised to read that someone who reacts negatively to bad smells (body odor, bad breath, etc.) would not think to be more sensitive about the use fragrances, room fresheners, etc. and how they might affect those around them. If I walked into an office that sprayed room freshener every 15-30 seconds, I would be forced to leave or suffer the consequences. I think that it's good to maintain a sense of awareness about how our actions affect those around us. Yes, it sucks to be around someone with body odor, but it also sucks for some of us to be around someone wearing strong perfume. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the courage to tell someone that they were wearing too much perfume, any more than I would be able to tell someone that they had body odor, bad breath, etc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1397828685|3655483 said:
TooPatient|1397825126|3655467 said:

It's awful and yes, it can certainly make people physically ill. I was surprised to read that someone who reacts negatively to bad smells (body odor, bad breath, etc.) would not think to be more sensitive about the use fragrances, room fresheners, etc. and how they might affect those around them. If I walked into an office that sprayed room freshener every 15-30 seconds, I would be forced to leave or suffer the consequences. I think that it's good to maintain a sense of awareness about how our actions affect those around us. Yes, it sucks to be around someone with body odor, but it also sucks for some of us to be around someone wearing strong perfume. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the courage to tell someone that they were wearing too much perfume, any more than I would be able to tell someone that they had body odor, bad breath, etc.

This is also how I feel about second hand smoke. I am so glad they banned it in restaurants and office buildings but it still affects me outside and so many people just thoughtlessly blow it in your direction. It is suffocating and intrusive IMO. Not to mention dangerous to one's health. Yet so many smokers seem so vigilant to protect their right to smoke wherever they want (where it is allowed that is) and don't seem to give much thought to those adversely affected (which IMO is everyone within breathing distance). Sure there is pollution all around us but why add to the risk and discomfort factor yanno? I just wish people who smoked would do it in their own space where others would not be in harms way. Do what you want as long as it doesn't affect anyone else negatively in any way.

And yes, if someone was wearing strong perfume where I had to smell it every day at work I would absolutely be OK to say something (nicely of course). I would not have a problem with speaking up and as long as you do it politely and respectfully I don't see a problem. Sure it's not 100% comfortable to have to tell someone this but much of life consists of tasks that aren't always pleasant or easy to do. But if it makes the work place a more pleasant and tolerable place to be it's important to face up to and do.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LAJennifer|1397775926|3655245 said:

OMG. I am dying laughing at that article...and the comments. Thank you for making my day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I relate to the fear of being the stinky girl.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results