shape
carat
color
clarity

AGA cut class tool quick question

London

Shiny_Rock
I have been using AGA cut class tool to evaluate a few emeralds and asscher diamonds I've seen online but the GIA cert doesn't provide crown height %. Also EGL for round brilliants doesn't give this measurement. Am I missing something? What to do?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't use numbers to judge fancies. The numbers don't tell you anything. And the AGA cut classes will have you ruling our stones that are gorgeous and consider stones you should discard.

You HAVE to judge fancies by faceting and light performance. Online that means pictures, videos and ASETs. In person that means seeing the stone in a lot of different lighting situations and also preferably with an ASET scope and educating your eyes so you know what to look for.

My best advice: Shop at vendors that are known for good step cuts. That would be Good Old Gold. If they don't have something already in stock that suits, they can and do source some of the best step cuts. Engagement Rings Direct and Victor Canera can also source nice step cuts, though they won't have any posted up front. All three vendors provide ample information including ASETs. James Allen, is another vendor that has some nice stones and has videos of each stone posted and provides ASETs (up to three). We would help you there, and pick diamonds that fit your budget and have a high potential for good performance.

Here, read this thread, and see how we are helping this other poster: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-finding-a-bargain-1ct-asscher-3k-4-5k.200871/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-finding-a-bargain-1ct-asscher-3k-4-5k.200871/[/URL]

Just start a thread asking for help. Post your budget and size requirements. For size, please post goal measurements not just carat weight as spread can vary drastically depending on factors other than carat weight.

We will assume you want an eyeclean stone. And that usually means VS2 or better as most of the time SI stone will not be eyeclean (but there are rare exceptions).

And color will be up to you AND your budget. We usually say to be conservative stay H or better with step cuts. But there are MANY pricescopers who are very happy with their I, J and even K step cuts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy has given good advice. With ECs, there are so many more facets to consider, so trying to narrow down your possibilities with only table, depth and crown is very difficult and limiting. Of course, you don't want something with a 50% depth and 70% table but beyond that, you really need to purchase from a vendor that provides pictures, videos and ASET.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I remember a thread where you listed multiple diamonds with problems(and a good example) and had the poster analyze them. Do you recall the buzzwords to use to search for it? I couldn't find it to link here but I think it was a great learning tool!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mico|1397744675|3654954 said:
Gypsy, I remember a thread where you listed multiple diamonds with problems(and a good example) and had the poster analyze them. Do you recall the buzzwords to use to search for it? I couldn't find it to link here but I think it was a great learning tool!

Hi Mico, I will have to search for it. But as I remember I used links to stones on JA, and those stones are mostly sold so the links are broken. I would have to re-do them! Still, I will search a bit later! Thanks for the reminder!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree that it is a waste of time trying to choose any fancy cut with numbers. I just wanted to add that GIA is going to be the only reliable lab, except you may see a few superideal cut rounds and other specialty cuts graded by AGS.

I bought an asscher over a year ago and I had Good Old Gold source it for me. They made a video of 4 asschers (actually only three would fit my setting) and it was a great help in my decision. There are great asschers out there, but your odds of finding one are slim without some help.

Here's my video which will show some very good and great asschers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SBfNGxTFE&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=2

London

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone!

Gypsy, I will probably post a new thread with specifics of what I am looking for.

diamondseeker2006|1397773490|3655229 said:
I totally agree that it is a waste of time trying to choose any fancy cut with numbers. I just wanted to add that GIA is going to be the only reliable lab, except you may see a few superideal cut rounds and other specialty cuts graded by AGS.

I bought an asscher over a year ago and I had Good Old Gold source it for me. They made a video of 4 asschers (actually only three would fit my setting) and it was a great help in my decision. There are great asschers out there, but your odds of finding one are slim without some help.

Here's my video which will show some very good and great asschers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SBfNGxTFE&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=2

Thank you for the video. All four stones are just beautiful. But this is exactly the problem I am having, I need someone that see's these stones all day long and really can hone in on what it is to look for. Which of the lovely four did you pic?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results