shape
carat
color
clarity

Received this in the mail!

pinkants

Rough_Rock
What do you think? I'd be interested in hearing some of your (much-more-knowledgeable-than-mine) opinions.

I tried to take photos at different times of the day (sorry that they are just iPhone photos). It's crazy how the sapphire can look so different from photo to photo!

photo_621.jpg
photo_622.jpg
photo_623.jpg
photo_624.jpg
photo_5_25.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely. Which photo is most accurate??

PS I love your avatar. I have susuwatari tattoos. ::) lol

pinkants

Rough_Rock
Hmm...great question! I guess that technically, they are all accurate as that's the way it appeared at different times of the day.

- First photo was in front of a westerly-facing, large office window at around 10:30am (no sunshine streaming through at that time). I did have an incandescent floor lamp on, however.
- Second photo was in front of a north-easterly-facing, floor-to-ceiling window at around 5:30pm.
- Third photo was in front of a north-westerly facing floor-to-ceiling window at around 7:00pm? Possibly slightly earlier.
- Fourth and Fifth photos were under a skylight (cloudy day) at around 4:00pm.

All photos were taken in the Boston area (approximately 42° North).

Is there a "standard" for taking photos? In general, in person, how can one gauge what is the most "accurate" representation of a colored stone? (I am particularly interested in this since seeing stones at jewelers is always underneath blindingly bright lights).

P.S. There was a really awesome susuwatari skirt on Etsy (the susuwatari were underneath!), but it figures that I cannot find it to show you!

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
It doesnt seem too dark. Only in 1 picture does it appear to show some extinction in a few small areas, but in most pictures it generally looks nice. Good color too. Its tough to photograph gems, and I have a 1.87ct blue sapphire that is a bit too dark, and when I have photographed it, it looked even darker than it does in real life. I had it appraised, because although its dark-ish, its a nice royal blue color, and it came out at over $2,500 dollars. BTW: I take appraisals with a grain of salt...... If I could go back in time 6 years, I wouldnt have bought that particular stone. I got it for much, much less than it appraised for, but still.... I have A lighter blue, smaller one too.

Your blue sapphire is much closer to the ideal gem than mine is..... Wanna trade? Just kidding!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a very nice looking sapphire overall. Seeing the different pictures and the sapphire's colour under various lights (and times) is helpful in understanding and evaluating its different moods. It gets a bit dark but never overly dark (still lots of saturated blue flash). Diffused light is the very best it looks and it looks fabulous as expected. It will look even nicer when summer rolls around, especially in the colder and grayer Boston area. A bit grayer under the incandescent light but not overly so - this is generally the worst the sapphire will look.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you had shown only the first photo, I would've said to send it back. Its just "meh" in the first pic, darker with more extinction than I would like (same for the third pic). But knowing that's the worst case scenario and it looks beautiful in diffused daylight, makes me reconsider. The best way to judge what is right for you is to consider where you will be spending most of your time, and how the stone appears under those conditions. If you love it then, then its a keeper. :))

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmmm what a nice blue delivery

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly lovely!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Niel|1396911117|3649239 said:
Which photo is most accurate??

They all are! :naughty: This is the best example that I've seen showing how different lighting conditions affect the look of a gem in pictures. It shows just how difficult it is to capture what the stone "really" looks like, because it really looks differently in every different lighting condition under which it's viewed. All the comments about "extinction", windowing and graying may or may not depend on the lighting that you're using to view a stone. If you feel like an expert on judging a stone by it's pictures, well just come back here and look at this set of pictures. Great example!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1397102747|3650974 said:
They all are! :naughty: This is the best example that I've seen showing how different lighting conditions affect the look of a gem in pictures. It shows just how difficult it is to capture what the stone "really" looks like, because it really looks differently in every different lighting condition under which it's viewed. All the comments about "extinction", windowing and graying may or may not depend on the lighting that you're using to view a stone.

Well said, Michael.

pinkants

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I like this stone. I think it's gorgeous.

SO thinks it's too dark. I have no idea if this is considered dark for a sapphire or not.

Is it considered a good color? Or is it too dark?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkants|1397523548|3653500 said:

SO thinks it's too dark. I have no idea if this is considered dark for a sapphire or not.

I think if it looked like the last photo its not. But if it usually looks like the top photos, I think you could get bluer.

How much did that cost? What's your budget?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkants|1397523548|3653500 said:

Welcome to the tough part of choosing stones. Unfortunately, you've gotten to the point where its largely up to the individual and what they like. While there is a trade ideal, which is considered medium to medium dark and vivid blue, there are plenty of well known sapphires which are not that. Just look at Duchess Kate's ring - the sapphire is much darker than trade ideal (hers almost looks black in many lighting situations), and yet she started a run on dark sapphires after Prince William gave it to her.

As was said earlier, it depends upon the lighting as well. Most sapphires do not hold their color in all lighting types, but are influenced by the type of light. It means that it might look different - darker - in fluorescent lighting than it would in bright indirect natural light, etc. From what I see, in some of the photos, your stone looks very close to trade ideal, and in some it is on the darker side. That said, its pretty nice looking in all the conditions you showed us, and trade doesn't matter - your opinion is the only thing that should matter at this point.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a little too dark for me, but that's my personal preference. If your SO thinks it is too dark, then perhaps that isn't the stone for him. Is it too dark for you or do you love it? The colour and tone may not be perfect but if it were, then you would be paying much more for the sapphire. At what point does one say, okay, this is the best I can do for my budget and time line? I don't know...

pinkants

Rough_Rock
Sigh. It's such a difficult decision. The fact that I'm so new and feel like I'm going in blindly doesn't help, either. I think the color is lovely with strong saturation. At the same time, I would like my SO to be in agreement since this is a process we are doing together.

I am currently in the evaluation period for this gem and the vendor has been more than patient. As a courtesy to him and others, I want to make a decision soon (like, yesterday!). I've no idea how to decide. :/

Our budget for a round sapphire is around $3,500.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go look at finewater gems there's a lighter sapphire (2nd on the list) that is look into. He says the color isn't as light as it shows, and it looks well saturated. Its oval though, but it looks beautiful and 3200

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1397579424|3653821 said:
If you go look at finewater gems there's a lighter sapphire (2nd on the list) that is look into. He says the color isn't as light as it shows, and it looks well saturated. Its oval though, but it looks beautiful and 3200

+1, looks like a great stone.

pinkants

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the tip! That stone is indeed very lovely. I think I have my <3 set on round, though.

I'm also contemplating a stone around 7mm. My ring size is 3.25, and I would like a halo setting, so I wonder if something larger will look too overwhelming?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you and your SO had the gem next to the color metal you are thinking of? Like resting in a setting? Just a good idea to play with it 'all the way' as your SO may have a change of heart with it next to it's gold partner. Or you both might agree one way or the other..........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkants|1397581547|3653834 said:
I'm also contemplating a stone around 7mm. My ring size is 3.25, and I would like a halo setting, so I wonder if something larger will look too overwhelming?

I realize this is not helpful nor is it the answer you are looking for but size is a personal preference as well. Some people are very comfortable sporting large rocks whilst others find large rocks to be ostentatious. I like to take lifestyle into consideration as well - if you live an active lifestyle and do a lot of stuff with your hands, a smaller stone is more wearable. A larger stone is more likely to get bumped and knocked about. I have no issues wearing a ring that covers my finger from side to side and comes up close to the knuckle. :cheeky:

pinkants

Rough_Rock
@Niel - thank you for the suggestion! I never even knew gems could be cut like that! In looking at it, I don't think concave is quite my thing.

@digdeep - we have not tried putting the stone next to the metal (we will go with platinum). That is a great idea! In your experience, does that make a big difference?

@Chrono - hee, hee! I don't think I could go with a ring that big, though it would be fun! I think I prefer that subtle, 'delicate' look.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, metal colour and style of setting can influence the colour of the sapphire. In general, the more enclosed the setting, the darker the stone will look. It affects some stones more than others. Depending on the halo (+ metal), you are looking at an additional 2 mm at the very least, so 1 mm + 7 mm + 1 mm = 9 mm x 9 mm ring, which is quite large for a size 3.25 finger. The total width is expected to be more than 9 mm across because you don't want a halo to be that delicate for structural reasons.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I'm undecided about a stone......(or in your case, two opinions) I go to the next level which is metals--to catch a glimpse how the stone will work for me. Some stones will let you know if the metal you have chosen is a match and the stone and metal enhance each other-- another possibility is that your SO may see the stone in a different light with the metal near it. It gives you both another piece of information on which to base your decision.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1397582359|3653848 said:
I love huge stones on tiny fingers so I fully support it. :)

Do you have a love or hate relationship with concave cut gems?
http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=7240

He often has ones he hasnt posted too

I like Richard Homer, but I wish he would stop photographing his gems against a dark or black background. One cannot properly assess color that way.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1397673617|3654505 said:
Niel|1397582359|3653848 said:
I love huge stones on tiny fingers so I fully support it. :)

Do you have a love or hate relationship with concave cut gems?
http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=7240

He often has ones he hasnt posted too

I like Richard Homer, but I wish he would stop photographing his gems against a dark or black background. One cannot properly assess color that way.

I could hardly tell the shape. Thats what bothers me, his rounds often look cushiony or elongated, but i dont know why.

pinkants

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide an update - my SO and I have decided to return this gorgeous stone. For anyone who may be interested, it is a 1.72ct Sri Lankan round sapphire from Roger Dery: http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphirebluerd1_72ct_7994-2/

I would also like to state what an absolute pleasure it has been working with Roger. He is knowledgeable and patient, taking the time to answer all of my questions thoroughly. You can tell that he genuinely cares about his craft and wants to make sure the stone you have is "the one." He provided a super generous viewing time for making my decision, and I never felt rushed or pressured at all.

The stone is lovely, returning beautiful flashes. If I have some time before I return it, I will try to take some proper photos with my 5D MarkII.

And so, the search continues!...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah well its too bad its going back but that just means you get to keep searching and thats half the fun!

If you don't mind, would you share what kind of halo you were looking at? Do you have a photo?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted Joe Escobar? They tend to have a good selection of blue sapphires.

pinkants

Rough_Rock
@Niel - I actually only have a general idea for the ring. I figured I would start the difficult part first (finding the stone), and then my SO can go to someone to design and create the actual ring. Right now, I'm thinking of:
- cushion halo
- prong set
- slender/thin band with prong-set diamonds
- decorative gallery

That's all I have so far. :D Do you know of any rings that may look like this?

@Chrono - yes, I contacted Joe Escobar. They did not have much (just that one with the tilt window). Another 6.5mm sapphire recently came in, and I requested additional photos of (have not heard back yet).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results