• 5) Somethhing else, I'll tell you.

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fellow PS'es,

I'm trying to decide what to do with this stone. Options are listed below. Please help me decide what to do with it.

1) Re-set into a 3-stone RHR with matching BGD Signature or Blues, of approx 0.75ct each. This would be the easiest option (logistically, as in I'd be able to rely on the certs, no appraisal), but rather costly. Plus, I'd have to wait quite a while since matched stones of specific specs are hard to come by.

2) Re-set into a 3-stone RHR with GIA-certed sidestones. This would be a bit less expensive, maybe about $1.5k less expensive. I'd prob have to have the sidestones appraised. This would be the fastest route, yeah instant gratification!

3) Re-set into a halo ring with a cushion-shaped halo and split shank, similar to the VC Ann-Marie setting. Q is: do I really want a halo? There are so many halo'es on PS (note: not IRL where I live though). I was thinking maybe this setting but in rose gold with either pale pink sapphire melee or platinum/ rose gold with white diamond melee. This would be slightly more unusual, I guess.

4) List it again for sale and save up to buy a larger EC ring. This would be the most costly, would take the longest time to realise; it may not even happen at all (so I'd sell it and not use the proceeds towards bling). But a girl can dream (I've wanted a larger EC for a looooong time), or can she?

5) Something else altogether. If you could please elaborate, that'd be great.

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
Hi Phoenix. I voted EC - because you said:

But a girl can dream (I've wanted a larger EC for a looooong time), or can she?

The other options came across reading them as ho hum. You sounded excited about the EC.
Sometimes ya gotta wait for what you want! :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gift it to your good friend Mayk until you decide... :cheeky: :appl: :love: :appl:

I voted EC too you know you want one!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need a statement piece to match your other fabulous rings. A large EC will fit in nicely with your collection! :)) Would definitely be worth the wait, IMHO!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only go with the 3 stone or halo if you are excited about the prospect of owning either one and are sure you will wear and enjoy it - I don't know, I'm picking up that it's more that you feel you should "do" something with the diamond. My purchases are nowhere near the scope of yours, but the same thought process can be applied… I decide on a piece by how excited I am about owning it, am positive I will wear it, and if it keeps me up at night lol! I know it's a tough call…and it's one only you can make -

Between the 3 stone and halo, it sounds like the 3 stone would be a better choice; I really like halos and your design ideas sound great to me, but just going by your comments you just don't sound that into it. Out of the 2 three stone options, I'd be good with #2.

But, like other PP's, I'm leaning towards selling it and putting the funds towards the EC - it sounds like that's what would keep you up at night lol. I agree that it could take a while though.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EC all the way Phoenix!

When it comes to bling I think you have to listen to your heart. The most expensive option isn't on your list imo. It would be far more costly to do a reset that you didn't really love or wear, since you're still going to want the EC and may end up selling the RB + new setting.

I miss my EC, it was so timeless and classic there's nothing like it. I almost never wear my oec but wore my EC 3 stone all the time. Good luck with your choice!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix|1397397771|3652703 said:
1) Re-set into a 3-stone RHR with matching BGD Signature or Blues, of approx 0.75ct each. This would be the easiest option (logistically, as in I'd be able to rely on the certs, no appraisal), but rather costly. Plus, I'd have to wait quite a while since matched stones of specific specs are hard to come by.

Not to tempt you too much, but there are a pair of near-perfect matching Blues available right now:

.733ct, F, VS2 - 5.79mm x 5.82mm
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.733-f-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104069795034

.740ct, F, SI1 - 5.79mm x 5.81mm
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.740-f-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104067973046

These pairs almost never come around, so you might consider snatching them up!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, I also voted for the EC. I'd like to have one myself! I'd keep it as a pendant before I spend more money on side diamonds. You already have a gorgeous rb, so if you don't want to use it as a pendant, I'd sell it. I'd personally rather have a new shape for the rhr.

Oh, but you know what? If you did want to make a RHR out of it, I'd do side sapphires instead of diamonds. That would be a totally different look.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix
Can you use this stone as a upgrade towards an EC with BGD?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have to agree with others. I don't think another round or even a three stone round is really going to make you happy. Then you'd have more money invested in side stones and setting - would probably be a waste of money in the end.

Sell the stone and invest the money into something so that it can earn something or so that you might add more to it later for that EC stone. Even if that never materializes, then you've got money put away for something. Better having a stone sitting around with no real purpose for you. It might make someone else especially happy!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EC, cause that is what you really want if money were no object right? And because you have amazing MRBs already. You told me to be patient remember? I followed your advice and I think I made the best decision in the long run. That EC may take longer but I think you will love it more than any of these other options. :)

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Hi do you have the specs and cert on this stone. I am in the market for a MRB in this size.
Thanks

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Anne, Mayk, mom2boys, junebug, quaddio, RockyBacon, DS, DF, MGR, LLJsMom and ElleElle.

I'm leaning towards a larger EC too, though I might find myself selling the 2.656ct and not be able to save up and/ or DH might protest too much and I might not be able to buy a larger EC after all.

I do love 3-stone rings generally speaking but I would love a larger EC more. I've had three iterations of 3-stone rings in the past but they were of the wrong proportions and one of the reasons I'm hesitating this time is because I'm not in the US and cannot see/ discern what would be the most suitable size for the sides. I'm guessing 0.75ct each but am afraid I might make a mistake - again!

DS, I briefly considered putting it back into a pendant (and indeed I got many compliments on the BGD Barbara pendant before) but it kept flipping forwards and drove me bonkers! I'm guessing a much smaller pendant might be more suitable. I'm very tempted to get a half a carat AVC or AVR and have that bezelled. Dunno really...just thinking...

DF, I certainly could do that and have looked at the 6ct+ I colour EC on BGD website, but it's a lot of money and I'd have to save up for the next few years to be able to afford something like that. After Holly, I don't dare talk about spending that kind of money to DH...at least not for now....have to wear him down first, lol!! :devil: :lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1397454023|3653102 said:
DF, I certainly could do that and have looked at the 6ct+ I colour EC on BGD website, but it's a lot of money and I'd have to save up for the next few years to be able to afford something like that. After Holly, I don't dare talk about spending that kind of money to DH...at least not for now....have to wear him down first, lol!! :devil: :lol:
Must you to tell him?... :Up_to_something: :wink2:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the votes too, everyone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh Phoenix I have missed you my fellow big bling sister!

Well first I should say that I'm a HUGE fan of instant gratification, but that usually gets me in trouble down the road. It typically also equals regrets as well. Would you wear a large EC as an ering or a RHR? Would you wear a 3 stone or the EC more?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix, I have been thinking about a large step cut on and off for a while now as well and have been drooling at a number of Antique ones, it is on my one day list if the right thing comes along.....

I wonder if it would work out better to find a vendor that would take your 2.656 as a trade against something else, so ask Perry, GOG, James Allen, ERD, Brian Gavin and even Victor and other stores if they would take your stone + cash for whatever you seek, that way you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling the diamond you no longer want. One of the members I know did this ages ago via James Allen (traded in a stone that was a similar size to yours that they did not purchase from JA) and purchased a much larger one. Contact all of the vendors and explore all of your options. Goodluck!!!! Can't wait to see what you find.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
So many CHOICES!

I would love love love a chubby emerald cut. With bullets. But I'd want a huge one too. Gorgeous.

I am partial to a split shank halo - that's how I reset Gladys. Classic style. But I think with Holly, you would be disappointed with a halo. Even a pink one.

A three stone is a great compromise and that's my next project too. But I get the sense you have been there done that and your heart isn't in it. You'd be doing it because you feel you should.

Aim high. Go EC. Even if it takes a few years, wait it out for the right result that will make you happy in the end.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1397556195|3653637 said:
Hi Phoenix, I have been thinking about a large step cut on and off for a while now as well and have been drooling at a number of Antique ones, it is on my one day list if the right thing comes along.....

I wonder if it would work out better to find a vendor that would take your 2.656 as a trade against something else, so ask Perry, GOG, James Allen, ERD, Brian Gavin and even Victor and other stores if they would take your stone + cash for whatever you seek, that way you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling the diamond you no longer want. One of the members I know did this ages ago via James Allen (traded in a stone that was a similar size to yours that they did not purchase from JA) and purchased a much larger one. Contact all of the vendors and explore all of your options. Goodluck!!!! Can't wait to see what you find.

Hi Phoenix, I think you should hold out for the EC of your dreams and do that whatever way best suits your needs. Don't settle for less because in the long run it might prove a disappointment.

I love arkieb's idea. It would be ideal if a vendor would take it as a fair trade for your stone plus cash. That's what I did with my OEC upgrade (with Adam at OWD) and I felt it was a fair trade considering I didn't buy the original diamond from him. If you find the EC of your dreams perhaps the vendor would work with you in this regard. Good luck and hoping it works out just the way you want it to. :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1397553378|3653632 said:
Oh Phoenix I have missed you my fellow big bling sister!

Well first I should say that I'm a HUGE fan of instant gratification, but that usually gets me in trouble down the road. It typically also equals regrets as well. Would you wear a large EC as an ering or a RHR? Would you wear a 3 stone or the EC more?

Hi SB!! :wavey:

Ha ha, I can definitely identify with instant gratification causing regrets later down the road!

Hmmm...it's hard to say whether I'd wear the larger EC more often than Holly, as an ering. I know for sure I'd wear it often but I think Holly would give the larger EC a run for its money. I'd def wear the larger EC more than a 3-stone ring. Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Arkieb! :wavey:

OMG, I'd KILL for an antique EC!! I remember several years ago, I came across a larger (I think it may have been around 6-7ct) light pink antique EC. I fell in love with it instantly but couldn't buy it. It cost a cool half a mil USD! I'd love for you to get an antique step-cut and then I could totally drool over it.

That's great advice. When I was looking for a 5ct RB, I contacted most of them about trading in some of my existing stuff but it didn't work out for some reasons. I didn't think JA would be open to this, as I was told by Jim Schultz more than once that he wouldn't do it. But definitely yeah, it wouldn't hurt to ask them and explore as many options as possible as and when I'm ready to go ahead.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1397557322|3653642 said:
So many CHOICES!

I would love love love a chubby emerald cut. With bullets. But I'd want a huge one too. Gorgeous.

I am partial to a split shank halo - that's how I reset Gladys. Classic style. But I think with Holly, you would be disappointed with a halo. Even a pink one.

A three stone is a great compromise and that's my next project too. But I get the sense you have been there done that and your heart isn't in it. You'd be doing it because you feel you should.

Aim high. Go EC. Even if it takes a few years, wait it out for the right result that will make you happy in the end.

Yeah I know, too many choices heh?!

I will aim for the EC. In the meantime, I look fwd to seeing your new three-stone.

Thank you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, if you liked the stone in a pendant, I am confident that someone is able to make a setting that does not flip. I do think that stone is a nice size for a pendant for you, so don't get rid of it so fast just because the original setting was not good. Please forgive me for saying this, but a half carat pendant would look totally out of proportion to your other diamonds. My .80 is too small for me and I do not wear it. I feel like one day you will wish you had a diamond pendant to complete your collection, and it may cost a lot more at that point to buy a new diamond that size.

Oh, and really, I don't think whether you keep this or not will have any effect on you getting an EC. You work and I am sure over time can save for it which is what most of us do to one degree or another.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1397739939|3654915 said:

Hi Arkieb! :wavey:

OMG, I'd KILL for an antique EC!! I remember several years ago, I came across a larger (I think it may have been around 6-7ct) light pink antique EC. I fell in love with it instantly but couldn't buy it. It cost a cool half a mil USD! I'd love for you to get an antique step-cut and then I could totally drool over it.

That's great advice. When I was looking for a 5ct RB, I contacted most of them about trading in some of my existing stuff but it didn't work out for some reasons. I didn't think JA would be open to this, as I was told by Jim Schultz more than once that he wouldn't do it. But definitely yeah, it wouldn't hurt to ask them and explore as many options as possible as and when I'm ready to go ahead.

Thank you.

I am pretty sure that Jon at GOG, Grace at Jewels by Grace would take your stone as a fair priced trade. Perry probably would if you are buying a large enough stone as a replacement and so would many of the others. The person that I know who traded and upgraded via JA said they generally don't but keep in mind she was buying a substantial upgrade so forking out a large amount more on top of trading in the stone, vendors will compromise provided they are still making a profit, especially with larger stones. Some are better than others. Can't hurt to ask.

I saw a killer dumpy EC at H. Moraldi ages ago but my husband has banned me from anything large and new for the time being :D
I've been badly in lust with this stone for the longest time as well;

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/emerald-cut-diamond-536-dvvs1-gia-extraordinary-stone-r4473

Adam at OWD occasionally gets big Antique ECs he doesn't always advertise....

Anyway the point is if the vendors want your business they will go above and beyond to find you a stone and take yours as a trade in.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Jon will take her stone on consignment and take very little commission if she buys the new diamond through him. She'll get more money that way. If he were to buy it outright for his inventory, he'd be offering her less than it would sell for retail. I don't think he outright buys many stones this way unless it just happens to be something that he needs in inventory. Most go on consignment. She doesn't sound ready to buy the EC anyway, so I don't think the trade idea is going to work.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1397743473|3654943 said:
I think Jon will take her stone on consignment and take very little commission if she buys the new diamond through him. She'll get more money that way. If he were to buy it outright for his inventory, he'd be offering her less than it would sell for retail. I don't think he outright buys many stones this way unless it just happens to be something that he needs in inventory. Most go on consignment. She doesn't sound ready to buy the EC anyway, so I don't think the trade idea is going to work.

I think it depends on the stone and on the overall deal. Some will take them on consignment, some on trade if you hassle hard enough. Did you get it from Brian and Lesley originally and isn't that where you are drooling at a large EC? I wonder if they would take it back again if it originally came from there as some sort of buy back type arrangement. I don't think it hurts to ask.

Having said that it would also make a great pendant as well :D

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Save it till this time next year and I'll buy it off you! Had you listed it for sale last week, I would have bought it off you now - but instead I went a different direction, so am tapped for the moment. I actually searched for you last week on LoupeTroop in case you had anything listed, but couldn't find anything, and I knew you'd recently retracted some stones you'd had listed last year, so assumed you were just sitting on things for the moment. Seriously, I wish I'd known.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1397561061|3653660 said:

Hi Phoenix, I think you should hold out for the EC of your dreams and do that whatever way best suits your needs. Don't settle for less because in the long run it might prove a disappointment.

I love arkieb's idea. It would be ideal if a vendor would take it as a fair trade for your stone plus cash. That's what I did with my OEC upgrade (with Adam at OWD) and I felt it was a fair trade considering I didn't buy the original diamond from him. If you find the EC of your dreams perhaps the vendor would work with you in this regard. Good luck and hoping it works out just the way you want it to. :appl:

Hello Missy! :wavey:

First of all, how are you? I hope you're getting some respite and at least get some answers to your condition. I'm sending you loads more get-well dust and hope you'll be on your way to recovery soon.

Back of the 2.656ct yes, I love arkieb's and your idea too. I'll for sure explore that option.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, Arkieb,

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I will def explore the option of trading in as and when. Not going to or rather not able to buy a honking EC right now or any time soon. But def worth considering.

DS, I actually have a halo'ed 0.90ct pendant coming back from Grace (it was for sale and I'm taking it back). With the halo, it looks quite substantial. I shall wear that for a while and see how that goes. I actually would love to have a line necklace and would prefer that to a single pendant. I find a pendant tends to get very dirty very quickly b/c it comes into direct contact with your skin (and being a PSer I of course get a bit bothered by that! :cheeky: ) and also it moves around almost all the time as opposed to staying put where it should! I think a line necklace b/c it doesn't flip and there are more of the little diamonds all round your neck, it tends to be more sparkly and if it moves off-centre I wouldn't be bothered by it so much. It could be a real statement piece or if the diamonds are small enough it could even be worn for less formal occasions. Of course, I may never get a line necklace but I think that's what I'd prefer, particularly as I'll already have my halo'ed pendant. I do however find solitaire pendants on other ladies very charming and delightful; and I am grateful for your suggestion.

Arkieb, that's a h*ck of an EC!! I L :love: VE that!! If only [sigh]! Re the EC at BGD, I am not ready to buy it right now, so let's see how it goes. I'd consider asking Lesley if she'd take this 2.656ct back if and when...

My other issue at the moment is one of logistics. The 2.656ct diamond is physically located with Perry now and as I am not ready to buy the EC yet (IF I ever buy it, that is), I'm not quite sure what I should do with the 2.656ct right now. If I have it set and sent back to me and then if I was to send it to the US again for a sale/ trade in in the future, it'd be problematic and costly (courier fees + duties + taxes would most likely exceed USD2k, probably more much more); so really I should try and sell it. The diamond has been with Perry for 1.5 years now and it still hasn't sold. Admittedly, I did pull the ad last few months. What should I do now? I feel kind of obliged to leave it with Perry and try to sell it with him (I'm fairly sure Perry/ Leon wouldn't be interested in taking in this stone; I think they'd rather build up an inventory of their own stones which of course is their prerogative). He's been an absolute sweetie, has been super super patient with my fickleness and I feel like I should at least be respectful to him and let him handle the sale of this 2.656ct, if and when it happens.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results