shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET vs. IS: worried I chose wrong ACA stone. Please help!

confusedAGS000

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow PS-ers!

Long-time lurker, first time poster: I'm looking at two ACA diamonds over at Whiteflash. Well, actually I already bought one, but now I'm worried I made a mistake... They're both AGS000, have same clarity and carat weight, slightly different colors (the one I purchased is colorless, the other one isn't) and have slightly different inclusions (favoring the one I chose, again). The $ difference was rather trivial.

What I am worried about is that I chose the diamond with inferior optical characteristics, i.e. inferior optical performance as displayed in ASET, IS and Hearts images. Can you please have a look at them and tell me which one of the do you think is an optically better performing one?

download_10.jpg

The one I bought is on top. I would say mine does a bit better in ASET (there is quite a lot of green color along the girdle on the left side of the second diamond), but is then also a bit asymmetrical(?) when it comes to IS (inconsistent/"missing" white spots from 7pm to 11pm in the first diamond). Not sure what to think of the Hearts image though...

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Roqsteady

Shiny_Rock
Re: ASET vs. IS: worried I chose wrong ACA stone. Please hel

My guess: you wouldn't be able to tell which was which side by side in person - the differences are that minute.

If anything, the slightly off ASET in the 2nd would lead me to the first one. Plus the fact that the one you got is a higher color - that would seal the deal for me.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Both look great, but I prefer the first one, the one you have and the better color is the kicker!

confusedAGS000

Rough_Rock

Thanks! I must admit the 1st one was a no-brainer for me too - until I placed the order. Then I noticed that in its simulated Arrows image in the AGS lab report, in some places there is green color where you'd expect leakage (=grey color) - from 8pm to 11pm. I know these images are computerized/simulated and not the real deal, but still, this got me concerned - and at that point I started poring over images and wondering whether I made the right choice after all...

download_11.jpg

And yes, I know I probably won't be able to notice the difference, however, what I also wouldn't want to happen is for the diamond to be "bland" and mediocre when it comes to e.g. scintillation (given it's relative lack of white parts along the girdle and its smaller black triangular hotspots)...

confusedAGS000

Rough_Rock

Anyone else wants to chime in? Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks fine. It is an ACA, nothing to worry about it.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

These are both great. If the price difference is negligible and you like the colorless option better - you made the right choice.

Many people have 'buyers remorse' after important purchases and continue to question their decision for days, weeks or months. The fact is you have a terrific ACA diamond in your possession. I suspect, had you chosen the other, you would be beating yourself up for not taking the colorless?

Enjoy your beautiful diamond!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are having analysis paralysis. Both stones are great! I do favor the fatter arrows on the first one, though.

confusedAGS000

Rough_Rock

Yes, I know (re: buyer's remorse & analysis paralysis), it just feels so weird to spend sooo much time looking for the "perfect" one and then when you finally buy it, it's all over so soon... :(

So you guys don't think the asymmetry in the IS image of the first diamond (and the green color along its girdle in the AGS' Arrows simulated image) is something I should be concerned about?

As for the ACA specs: I know both are ACA diamonds, but - when talking to WF they referred to some ACA diamonds basically as "this one has a great cut" and to some as "well, I wouldn't choose this one, the cut is just not that good". Go figure!

Thanks again!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

confusedAGS000|1397692194|3654699 said:
As for the ACA specs: I know both are ACA diamonds, but - when talking to WF they referred to some ACA diamonds basically as "this one has a great cut" and to some as "well, I wouldn't choose this one, the cut is just not that good". Go figure!

Thanks again!
Not a surprise comment, b/c inside the AGS 0 cut box there are different flavors of ideal cuts. I do prefer a bit deeper cut stone with a small table. That just me... ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results