shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding mm width for a plain platinum band

K8tlynS

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I know a topic thread on mm width for a plain platinum wedding band is not nearly as exciting as so many of the threads about picking gorgeous stones and custom settings that primarily occupy this rockytalky board, but I am in need of some serious help making a decision about the best width to get for my wedding band. I have a .55 Lucida in the Tiffany setting. It's a tapered setting so that the shoulders of my ring are ever so slightly wider than the rest of the shank. If I had to guess, the non-tapered part of the shank is probably about 2.7 as it seems to be ever so slightly wider than 2.5mm, but still narrower than 3mm. It's also a fairly low setting, so I initially assumed it would just make the most sense to go with one of their Lucida bands, so the profiles of the two rings would match. Unfortunately, the Tiffany Lucida bands only come in 2 or 3mm widths; there is no 2.5mm at Tiffanys. I've tried on the 2mm and 3mm Lucida platinum bands at Tiffanys and I also tried on the 2.5mm classic platinum wedding band at Cartier, and am attaching pictures of all styles below.

I should also note that I am an extremely sentimental person and want this platinum band to be my forever wedding band. I'm a fairly active person who hikes and does spend a lot of time outdoors, and I plan to never take my wedding ring off. This is the primary reason why I don't want my actual wedding band to have diamonds in it. My fiancé is hinting at the fact that he will be able to also afford a diamond band for the wedding, so I guess I can have two "wedding bands"! Although I plan to never take the plain platinum band off, so it'll be an all plain platinum set or I guess I'll add a diamond band either inbetween my ering and wedding band or on top of my ering. I am trying to keep all this in mind when I pick the width of the platinum band, since I might predominantly end up wearing three rings. Now, on to the pictures!

Lucida 2mm platinum band:

img_4352.jpg

img_4426.jpg

img_4428.jpg

img_0799.jpg

K8tlynS

Rough_Rock
And a few shots of both the 2mm and 3mm Tiffany Lucida platinum bands:

Do you see how thin and tiny the 2mm band looks by itself (with no ering)?

img_4429.jpg

img_4430.jpg

img_0791.jpg

K8tlynS

Rough_Rock
Now, here are the shots of the Tiffany 3mm Lucida platinum band:

I have a feeling the 3mm band looks like too much metal...What do you think? I don't think my ering center diamond is big enough to stand up next to all that thick metal. Also, I suppose if I stack with a diamond band the 3mm platinum band will look too thick to have 3 rings on my finger...

img_4431.jpg

img_0792.jpg

img_0797.jpg

img_0798.jpg

K8tlynS

Rough_Rock
And last but not least, here is the 2.5mm classic platinum wedding band at Cartier:

Thanks for all your help and opinions in advance!!

img_4432.jpg

img_4433.jpg

img_4434.jpg

img_4436.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3mm looks most balanced/in scale [to me] with your e-ring right now.
You said that you might add a diamond band...that could be the thinner one with all the sparkles/pave between "forever 24/7" and your e-ring.
Then you really never would have to remove your wedding ring =)

snowmom

Rough_Rock
They all look lovely on your hand but my vote would be the 3mm.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Cartier 2.5 myself - just right. 2nd choice the Tiffany 3.0

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1397602896|3654049 said:
I like the Cartier 2.5 myself - just right. 2nd choice the Tiffany 3.0

This is my vote as well. The 2.5mm Cartier looks more balanced with your lovely ER. The 3mm is my second choice because the 2mm doesn't look quite right with the width of your ER. However the 2.5mm looks best IMO.

Congratulations on your engagement and your ring is beautiful. :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the 2.5 for me - just the right amount of metal and will look substantial on it's own - will also look good with that diamond band you mentioned!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the 3mm. I like the balance.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Cartier 2.5mm is the perfect choice--not too thin or too thick.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.5 is perfect.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote goes to 2.5 or 3mm.
Beautiful e-ring!!

K8tlynS

Rough_Rock
@ rockhoundofficiando - I initially went in thinking the 2.6mm Bezet platinum band would be perfect, but unfortunately it's got a much too rounded profile to look good with the Lucida ering setting. I didn't even take any pictures of it. I guess I need what's considered a half-round style band...

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others, my favorite is the 2.5 cartier band. My second choice would be the 2mm band, I think the 3 mm looks WAY to bulky especially if you are thinking about adding a third sparkly band.

:bigsmile:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Cartier 2.5 band. It looks substantial but still retains a dainty look.

SillyMonkee

Rough_Rock
We could be wedding set twins! I have an emerald cut in a setting very similar to the Lucida style and chose a plain platinum band for the exact same reasons as you (never take it off, but the dirty diamonds would make my eyes twitch). My engagement band is 4 mm, and I got a wedding band of the same width. I've been really happy with it (3 year anniversary yesterday, in fact). Either the 2.5 mm or the 3 mm band looks good with your ring, but I would recommend the 3 mm. I think the wider width will be more comfortable on your finger for everyday 24/7 wear. Perhaps you could get two silver bands (one in each width) and try wearing each for a week, to see if one is more comfortable?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 3 mm looks equal in width to your engagement ring shank. Hence I prefer it for the balance look. But the 3 mm seems to overwhelm the diamond as there appears to be a lot of metal around the diamond when both are worn together. As such, I vote for the 2.5 mm.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
My first choice would be the 2.5mm. I think it looks perfect!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
The 3 mm looks perfect on your lovely fingers. I tend to like bands that are 2 mm or slightly thinner, but if you felt the 2 mm alone was too thin for you on its own, definitely go thicker. The Cartier 2.5 mm looks nice too but the 3mm Lucida just looks even better. And will look great with a thin pave wedding band as a third ring.

I've been closely studying wedding band a lot lately, and noticed if the e-ring shank and wedding band shank are the same style (as in your case, both rounded platinum), then NOT matching the thicknesses looks unbalanced. I think you need to do a totally different style of shank to "get away" with doing a different thickness so it looks intentional. The rounded shank of the Lucida e-ring looks best with a rounded band, so you're wise to stick with a matching wedding band. My two cents anyway!!

canadagirl

Rough_Rock
My first choice would be the 2.5 mm - definitely a beautiful look!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
2.5 looks the best, I think.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I like the 2.5 or the 3.0. I would love to see a closer shot of your engagement ring. It looks lovely. Congratulations on your engagement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results