shape
carat
color
clarity

Studs -pairing I with J, I with H -- are they that close?

Sayde64

Rough_Rock
I am looking at diamond pairs for studs. I see that one site has created many pairs that contain a J and an I, or and I and an H. Are the colors so close that it would not be noticeable if you held the pair of studs in your hand? If so is there any reason at all to buy a pair of I rather than J? Is there any real variation to be expected in, for example different pairs that are all rated the same for color (other factors kept constant). Assume Ideal cut throughout. I am leaning toward J but have never seen a J in real life -- only at this site --and I am very grateful to the posters who shared photos of their J studs. They look beautiful and I am just about convinced.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Studs -pairing I with J, I with H -- are they that close

IMHO, it would be quite difficult to tell the difference between one colour grade when two stones are placed side by side, let alone when worn on each ear!

DK :))

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock

Not just in your humble opinion. Send the same stone to the same lab twice and you could easily find it's an H one day and an I the next. There is essentially no difference between neighboring color grades... except price.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You may or may not notice the difference with the stones next to each other (depending on how color sensitive you are), but it won't be noticeable once they're in your ears.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

But in actuality, why not play it safe and get two the same color??? I see no reason whatsoever to buy a pair of studs with two different colors!!! Don't go by those automated matched pairs anyway. What site are you looking at and what is your budget? I am sure we can do better matching!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

You haven't mentioned what tcw you are getting but here is my personal experience. My first pair of studs were .60 ctw BGD J's.
I did notice the tint, which surprised me because they were small & I have a K EC in which I rarely notice the tint.

I upgraded after less than a year to BGD H 1.00 ctw. I love the size & color. I can still see the color in the H's slightly from the side but far less than the J's which were significantly smaller.

I also purchased a BGD Blue VSBF I in .55 ct for a pendant. It looks extremely close in color to my H's. Very happy with this choice.
So I guess my final conclusion is, I saw a big difference between H and J, and can't see much difference between H and I.
I never compared a J to my I pendant but don't notice nearly the tint in it that I noticed in my J studs.
I'm currently having a five stone ring made with H-I diamonds and am very confident I won't be able to tell them apart.

But I'm with DS on this, why not get both diamonds the same color? You should be able to find a matching pair at BGD or WF.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd do two color grades. I'd do it for sidestones in a ring, let alone for earrings.

yes, they are that close.

Sayde64

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your input. I am looking in the range of .84 to .98 TCW, Ideal cut. I saw a pair of J at BGD and then noticed that other pairs had been created pairing one of the two J stones from "my" pair to and I, and also then using the other J in a third pair with a different I. That is, it looks like they were making a bigger list of "virtual" pairs by remixing a fewer stones in many potential combinations. I am considering only the pair with the 2 J stones, but was hoping that if BGD is mixing the I and J it means no perceptible difference. However it seems that there does seem to be almost no difference between I and J, and between G and H but a noticeable difference between the two ranges.

Woofmama I was dismayed to hear you say you could see the color in your J BGD stones. Was all set to go and now am wondering . . . .

recordaras

Shiny_Rock

Sayde64|1397480365|3653188 said:
Woofmama I was dismayed to hear you say you could see the color in your J BGD stones. Was all set to go and now am wondering . . . .
I have a 3 stone with BGD Signature Js, and I can definitely see the tint from the side - I'm very color sensitive, but I think the color will be apparent to anyone who knows what they are looking for.
My stones are fairly small (.64 and .27), and at that size the color doesn't bother me, however for a solitaire over 1ct I personally would prefer H and whiter. That being said, for earrings I would consider going down to K - you really don't see the side profile as much till you get to some serious sizes :naughty: , and face up they will be bright and sparkly! (I have uncerted 0.6 ctw studs from IDJ that have more tint than my BGD Js, and I love love love them, but for a ring I definitely would not go that low)

Sayde64

Rough_Rock

Thank you recordaras. Your post was very helpful. I have decided to go with the J's.

Sayde64

Rough_Rock

Thank you recordaras. Your post was very helpful. I have decided to go with the J's.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love J's for studs. Great choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results