shape
carat
color
clarity

So excited, FINALLY an interview at a jewelry store !

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm obviously a newbie but I hang here everyday. Admiring pieces I can only dream of owning, rooting for those with a 2k budget to woo the gal of their dreams with THE ring, you know how it is ! I currently own a theater company for which I write, produce direct and perform but always want and need a side job. I've sold real estate which I enjoyed before the market dropped out (Florida) bartended, worked with special needs children, but I always thought " Gee, it would be cool to work in a jewelry store, but, like, hopefully not a maul one".

SO, the best private jeweler in town placed an ad, I answered and two months later I am going to interview tmr at 11:00 !

I know, I know, It's likely to be sub par in many ways, but I love people and can only sell things I believe in. Didn't always agree with their choice of housing, and I don't like double halo's, but if I can help people get the best of what THEY want for their money while buying groceries for MY family I think it might be great.

I will try to dumb down a bit, and hopefully they are quality people, the family has had a private store for nearly 100 yrs and this is the sons spin off. We shall see, but it beats slinging drinks for a while !

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deleted*
I'm overly snarky today. Good luck, Merefrank.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the interview and keeping my fingers crossed for you!

A thread about working full time in jewelry is making me consider taking a part time job in a local jewelry store. Each time I stop by the owner keeps asking if I would consider working for him a couple of days a week. Still unsure. I like my freedom!

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
LOL Yssie, I KNOW, I felt brave/scared for even posting this because, well, we ALL know people can do so much better here. The way I'm silver lining this is: I can at least help them find the best of what is possible IF they want to shop at a B&M as we know some people do prefer.

And like I mentioned, I am far from one of the "drop 30K on a ring" PS'ers, but I have always led my life so that I could walk away from ANY BS and still be OK for 6 months to a year. This will HOPEFULLY be a fun side job. I have never compromised my integrity for a sale and never will.

I have NO idea what it might entail ? Sales and people I know. Jewelry, well I may be jumping on here to see what Gypsy et al have to say. But, in this crap economy and not wanting to sell houses or do restaurant work, who knows ? They could have me cleaning toilets and selling rock salt ! ;-)

It IS my first rodeo in this biz so I will surely let you know. I can always tell em to pound salt and walk away !

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Oh, and anyone who's been there done that, I would truly appreciate hearing both the good and the bad ! I'm in my 40's, my unicorn fairy dust has long worn away so don't think you'll bum me out with a reality check. :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies, snark is indeed getting the better of me today.

I think we PSers can be terribly snobbish and I think the superiority complex is largely misguided. We have our pet vendors and we (collectively) tend to toss all others into the "inferior" bucket, but the facts remain: there are some amazing jewellers who haven't embraced the internet. There are some amazing jewellers who haven't found/been found by PS. There are some amazing jewellers who know all about PS and just don't care to pursue this market.

I think it's great that you feel so strongly about believing in what you're selling... but I winced reading the part about it being sub-par in many ways: the fact that they aren't known on PS really doesn't mean much of anything! Re. jumping in and asking Gypsy et. al. for advice - as a trade member you're quite restricted in what you can and cannot post on PS about stones and goods for sale; that's all outlined in the PS terms of use.

I'd never consider "dumbing it down" for an interview, but... we've seen time and time again that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I've learnt SO much by listening to what people who've been in the industry for years and years have to say... I may not agree with what's being said but I nearly always get something useful from the experience. I think it's too easy to convince ourselves that we "know better" - back to that misguided superiority complex - and that's totally counterproductive.

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Wow, lots to take in ! When I said sub par, I too was making a knee jerk PS reaction, I don't know much about them except for their long history in town and that they are NOT a chain. Guess I'll find out more tomorrow.

But wait, seriously, little old me who learned everything I know about diamonds here and bought my set on e-bay would be considered " Trade" if I just worked as a sales sheep part time ? Yikes, that is beyond crazy ! :o

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you will be considered as Trade.

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
But...but..but then people might think I know what I'm talking about and I SO don't !

Wait, maybe I AM perfectly qualified to work B&M after all ! LOL

I used to belong to a life/relationship forum that I visited daily since 2006. Once I found "here" I was so happy. I can read about diamonds or just chat about whatever.

I certainly will follow forum rules, but me being trade if I get this PT sales job is like putting lipstick on a pig and calling her a super model !

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck with your interview!

PS'ers - even those who stop by for engagement ring help and then disappear - are a rare breed. Let's face it, most people buy most of their jewelry in some sort of brick and mortar setting, and aren't interested in putting in the time many PS'ers put in to educate themselves about diamonds and jewelry. You'll be in a good position to help your customers get the best for their money in their chosen venue.

And you probably won't be as tempted to spend your paycheck at the store as other new jewelry store employees might be! :wink2:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yssie said:
I'd never consider "dumbing it down" for an interview, but... we've seen time and time again that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I've learnt SO much by listening to what people who've been in the industry for years and years have to say... I may not agree with what's being said but I nearly always get something useful from the experience. I think it's too easy to convince ourselves that we "know better" - back to that misguided superiority complex - and that's totally counterproductive.

Agree 100% that 'dumbing it down' is a bad idea for any woman.

Perhaps you could reframe your perspective in terms of how open you are to learning (about the company's products and services, brand, selling strategies etc.), and that your existing knowledge is a demonstration of passion and capability to learn and grow.

Best of luck, bring your A-game.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes! It's good to have informed people working in the trade! I'm tired of dumb dumbs who know nothing and try and feed me a line of BS.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
You might be surprised what your bricks and mortar jeweller knows, particularly if they have a manufacturing side to the business.
I would go into the job with an open mind and an open heart, willing to learn.
And not all bricks and mortar stores stock horrible jewellery!!
If the family is long established in the trade, I bet you dollar to a brick that you will find something that is worth your time, over time. ::)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
How did the interview go? Would like to know your impressions of store & their product & outlook. An independent store that's been in business for 100 yrs is likely to have people who know their stuff. They may not be expert in every single thing, but who is? None of us here! Hope you got the job if it's one you want -- let us know.

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Well, THAT was beyond depressing ! So I go to the interview and the showroom was quite nice. They are the biggest Rolex dealers in town and had some nice lines of diamond jewelry.

The owner was a bit...snobby, but giggly at the same time. Like a rich nerdy kid who grew up to learn how to "fake" being cool.
Not to blow my own horn, but I give great interview, lol. I've been in theater since I was four, so I am quick on my feet mentally and know how to come off professionally, yet warm and likable. It seemed to go really well EXCEPT:

1) He asked me in the initial phone interview how I handled a slower pace. 2) He asked me again in the in person interview and I said something along the lines, of "Well, whatever needs to be done, filing, dusting, prospecting old and new customers etc. 3) He called my first reference, a local assistant district attorney and the only thing he asked was how I would handle a slow pace, and that "it wasn't like grocery store." (not that I've ever worked at one)

He also told me he had staff who had been with him for years and I would not be selling the diamond jewelry or watches, but he would have me concentrate on woman's watches and wedding bands (Non diamond ones or what, not clear). I said Terrific ! I understand starting at the bottom, love all jewelry and would be happy to learn about new lines, like their ladies watches.

THEN WE TALKED ABOUT PRICESCOPE. I believe it was a mistake. He seemed impressed and I talked in general about how I knew next to nothing until I found PS and was still a newbie,but it was fun to both see the amazing trades peoples unique pieces as well as helping a young couple on a tight budget.

He called Sunday from his home phone and said he had been thinking about it all weekend and I was too overqualified, I wouldn't be happy with the pace, He didn't want to upset the applecart with his long term employee's, that I blew him away in my interview, that I had a dynamic personality and no one he had ever interviewed knew about PS and he was so impressed. So, basically I was great, he just didn't think it would be a good fit. :evil: :confused:

This is one of three DECENT jewelry stores in my mid sized city, and now I feel like I'll just run into the same problem again. Of course I can twirl my hair and not mention PS, but it kind off disgusts me to have to do so.

So. maybe he was just blowing sunshine up my skirts or I just have an unlikeable personality, but this really bummed me out. The pay was good, my husband is laid off, our one car is basically dead, and it is the slow season for my theatre business.

:( :( :(

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear that, Mere frank. I think he just doesn't want someone too knowledgeable to steer potential customers away from not-top-of-the-line diamonds which he might carry from time to time. I hope you find something soon. Hugs.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry.

I would ask the mods to delete this thread. I don't think it's a good idea for you to meet with potential employers, talk about the forum, and have a thread talking about the interview. He probably went on here and saw this thread, and you talking about 'dumbing it down' for the interview. I wouldn't have liked to see this thread had I been an employer.

I also wouldn't like to see this thread and your post after the fact, either. He's probably still trolling.

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Well, as it is an anonymous forum, and I have not mentioned the business let alone the state, I didn't feel like it was crossing any lines.

I really don't care what his opinion of me is anyway, what is he going to do, not hire me ?

I probably won't be back on here, so feel free to take it upon yourself to report the thread and have it removed if I am offending anyone or breaking any rules.

It's been fun, guys, thanks...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I don't think you've broken any rules, the suggestion to remove the thread was made for your personal potential benefit, is all.
I'm sorry the interview didn't work out for you. He might be worried that you'll pick inadvertently fights with the other staff members due to 'pricescope says' :s
It can take a while to work through the perceived preferences of pricescope and develop the confidence to use it in terms of a reference, not a gospel.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admit I was shocked that you mentioned PS after what was posted about "dumbing it down" for the interview :-o

The internet is never anonymous and you never know who is reading from the other side of the screen. I've lurked for a long time before signing up and I know that as wonderful a wealth of information this place can be, it can also have a polarizing effect on those in the trade. Lesson learned, best to keep things simple during an interview (you'll show up on time, you will be courteous, you learn quickly).

Also confused as to why you are now leaving if jewelry is a hobby you enjoy so much? :confused: Regardless I hope you land something soon and I wish you lots of luck!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1397566128|3653699 said:
Also confused as to why you are now leaving if jewelry is a hobby you enjoy so much? :confused:

She/he is leaving because I've apparently offended her/him by giving logical advice. :roll: GBCPS stuff, y'know. I guess I need to start sticking ::) happy ;)) face :bigsmile: emoticons :)) between :sun: everything :wacko: I :cheeky: write :devil:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Merefrank, I have to agree with madelise - I think you do yourself no favours in this thread. You aren't offending anyone who has responded or breaking any rules, but anyone who reads this thread will question both your professionalism and your ability to think critically. The owner obviously knows about pricescope, and your unflattering post about your interview is on the first page of one of the main subforums - it isn't difficult to find, and it certainly eliminates any chance of you being hired at some future point in time.

ETA: I'm sorry it didn't work out for you though. I do want to echo Lara's last thought - I think this is very true:
LaraOnline|1397565465|3653692 said:
It can take a while to work through the perceived preferences of pricescope and develop the confidence to use it in terms of a reference, not a gospel.
I think few of us will truly reach that point, but the journey is fun and rewarding and worth sticking around for ::)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to Yssie's post, it isn't difficult for the jewellery store owner to realize that this thread references his store and employees, given that he reads Pricescope. It is a much smaller world than one might think, if a person is able to link some facts together.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Since he is reading: Why is the man content with a "slow pace?" That, to me, says his locale can't provide the right customers in sufficient quantity. Standing around a slow store isn't much fun fora clerk. Lack of revenue is not fun. You'd think the guy might want to pick up the pace, become known on Pricescope, have greater credibility instead of be one of those places that only locals have heard of, take his business to where more buyers are. What makes him think that his walk-in traffic has any different opinion of his product line than what the OP said. Pull up the Good Old Gold videos and listen to the background sounds sometimes. GOG has traffic in their store. Sounds like a party going on. :lol:

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
If you read the last sentence of my post you might see where I'm coming from. Normally this would be like water off a ducks back, but the way things are stacking up against my H and I, I don't know if we'll have a home a month from now let alone internet, let alone jewelry. You never know when you might be talking to someone suicidal on the other side of the screen, so be kind. Only one person offered hugs and everyone else worried about the jewelry store owner.

I see people complain all over this site about shoddy workmanship or bad customer service. How is giving their opinion about their experience with ONE jeweler, any different from me sharing my experience on the other side ? I should be servile, while they have a right to complain because they spent money ? I didn't even say anything bad about the store, just that the owners priorities in hiring struck me as odd.

First of all most of you suggested that I do NOT dumb it down and I took that into account. Also, it wasn't like I walked in there waving a PS banner ! He asked how I got into jewelry and I started talking about my e-bay experiences and then how I found this place and learned so much. The line I mentioned above about " admiring the trades peoples pieces, while I also enjoying watching people here put together something special for a young couple on a budget" was IT as far as my lording my PS knowledge over everyone.

The last concern you all seem to have is that giving my opinion of the Place, owner and interview ( without giving any identifying details) was out of line. I guess I too should do as madelise suggested and just put happy faces all over everything and say " Gee, that was SWELL that I got rejected from a job I needed and was qualified for." You guys should hear what I have to say on my facebook page about my cable company who just siphoned $200 out of my bank acct yesterday with no explanation ! Should I worry about offending THEM too, or just the all powerful jewelry store owner ?

As far as "if he find this he'll never hire me", he already didn't. As far as I can see, I'm not going to get less intelligent, energetic or personable which seemed to be his biggest concerns.

Bottom line, *I* don't care if he reads this and I'm still at a loss as to why you all are so concerned about his feelings. MY professionalism is linked to my theatre company that I have owned for 18 yrs,not a retail job I didn't even get, and if I go back to selling houses or decide to start selling cars I can't see how an anonymous post about MY experience at one jewelry store interview is going to make a whit of difference.

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Hi Merefrank,

I am very sorry you didn't get the job - I can see how beneficial it would have been at this time for your family, not to mention that rejection is always tough, even if it comes from being overqualified (maybe even more disappointing in that case!).

I think the folks here aren't blaming you for "hurting the owner's feelings", they are trying to keep you from making similar mistakes in the future. Not to mention that in my opinion it's never a good idea to burn bridges with potential employers - who knows, in a couple of months his business could pick up in pace, and he'd give you a call back because they would need more energetic and passionate folks like you to deal with all the new business. But by directing him here, and posting unflattering things about both the store and the owner ("Like a rich nerdy kid who grew up to learn how to "fake" being cool.") and pretty much quoting your interview on top of that you could have done just that. Which is why somebody suggested you delete this whole thread, in case he hasn't seen it yet.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
recordaras|1397583310|3653855 said:
Hi Merefrank,

I am very sorry you didn't get the job - I can see how beneficial it would have been at this time for your family, not to mention that rejection is always tough, even if it comes from being overqualified (maybe even more disappointing in that case!).

I think the folks here aren't blaming you for "hurting the owner's feelings", they are trying to keep you from making similar mistakes in the future. Not to mention that in my opinion it's never a good idea to burn bridges with potential employers - who knows, in a couple of months his business could pick up in pace, and he'd give you a call back because they would need more energetic and passionate folks like you to deal with all the new business. But by directing him here, and posting unflattering things about both the store and the owner ("Like a rich nerdy kid who grew up to learn how to "fake" being cool.") and pretty much quoting your interview on top of that you could have done just that. Which is why somebody suggested you delete this whole thread, in case he hasn't seen it yet.

+1

I am sorry you didn't get the job. But this is exactly how I feel as well. I have been here long enough to know it's a very small world...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you're in a bad situation.

I think you're taking what everyone else is saying in the wrong way though. People are expressing concern, not for the jewelry store owner and his business but for the way you've handled this situation. There is very little discretion with posting a thread about your job interview in a main forum on PS, and then dropping it into your interview that you are a member on PS. It's EXTREMELY easy to find this thread. He could have very well come to PS after your interview and found this thread, putting 2 and 2 together. And this thread could be why you didn't get the job. For all you know, right now he could be reading the not-very-nice things you have said about him here, and thanking his lucky stars that he didn't offer you the job.

I hope you find something soon. Best of luck.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
And you did mention the state in your first post. I would ask the mods to remove this, JMHO. Good luck!! :))

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess (and this is the last I will say about it) is that the owner found the thread. People are gently suggesting that in the future, it might be more professional to keep your internet activity under wraps from potential employers, especially when it pertains directly to them! Back in 2004 I had a job interview with a woman my parents were friendly with from their bank. I was young and in my "wild phase" and my internet presence was pretty stereotypical of that- nothing was private or protected, every picture of me was with a drink in my hand, etc. Well when I gave her my email address she searched for me and there I was in all my party girl glory. Needless to say I did NOT get a job offer though for my sake she handled it very diplomatically with my folks. It was a huge learning experience! I still look back and cringe but in the end it taught me a lesson: don't do or say anything you wouldn't want on the front page of the newspaper (so to speak) especially when your job search and viability as a candidate has so much riding on it (like house payments and your own mental health).

Best of luck, I know you'll brush this off and land on your feet soon. Hopefully soon you can look back on this and be glad you ended up with a better opportunity. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results