shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all ROSE CUTS!

quietlysw

Rough_Rock
My new eBay trinket is my first rose cut piece! A little rose cut buttercup... and it's set in the warm, sunny 18k gold :lickout: I have fallen in love with the charm of these old jewels.... just gorgeous!

I'd heard every descriptor prior to buying this one, ranging from watery, to glassy! But after seeing this ring in person, the word that jumps to mind it SILVERY! Shimmering tones of silver, smoke, to gunmetal gray! Enchanting :D

But I know just how different each and every rose cut is! And I wanna see them all!! PSers! Show off your rose cut goodies! :wavey:

img_4377.jpg

img_4379.jpg

img_7108.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This was my grandmother's sapphire and rose cut diamond ring. It's at least 150 years old. The rose cuts are foil backed, which was the style back then. We aren't really sure of it's history, but believe it's Italian. The ring is filthy, as there's no one in my area I'd trust to clean it, but every time I wear it, I think about my grandmother and smile.

granmother_ring2.png

close_up3.jpg

close_4.jpg

quietlysw

Rough_Rock
Simply magnificent Yenny! Your grandmother must have been a very stylish lady :appl: What a thing to treasure, the ring itself and the special memories it carries! :)

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
Lovely rings Yennyfire & Quietlysw!
My DBTY: 8 stones = 1 ctw in Rose gold chain & white gold bezels
image_1567.jpg
image_1566.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks quietly and s'mores! That is one gorgeous DBTY necklace! Do you have a neck shot by any chance?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smores84|1397447881|3653069 said:
Lovely rings Yennyfire & Quietlysw!
My DBTY: 8 stones = 1 ctw in Rose gold chain & white gold bezels
image_1567.jpg
image_1566.jpg

OMG MORE PICS!!!!!!!

Are they double-sided?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny how lucky, to have an heirloom to remember your grandmother by ::)

I'm not sure about cleaning foil-backed rose cuts either - I know that the concern is water trapped between the stone and the metal causing the metal surface to react... but most metals conduct heat well, I wonder if taking a blowdrier to it afterward would be sufficient to ensure all the water is dried off prior to storage?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Here is my first engagement ring. 3.15ct natural sapphire, dubbed the candy ring.

candy_ring_3.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I love rose cuts and have a couple of pieces and your ring is BEAUtIFUL quietlysw! (Promise you won't clean it too much! That "silvery" look is what IMO they are supposed to look like and gives them their charm. They used to blacken the backs of them (can't remember how) inaddition to some being silver backed. Too much cleaning of them removes that and then you get that clear water effect. The only diamond that looks better dirty!)

The first is my "promise" ring from the hubz (then bf). I think it is early Victorian (or maybe late Georgian?), sometime in the first part of the 1800's is the best guess I've come up with. They are not silver backed as they are in prongs, but they are blackened.

proise1.jpg

And here is a very cheap pair of Victorian earrings I picked up. They turned out to be gold, thought they were sold to me as costume (and I could tell they were rose cuts). I have since converted them in to dangles. They'd had screw backs soldered on at some point:

rosecut2_2.jpg

I hope to hunt for something else later (when I get off my continuing purse obsession...)

quietlysw

Rough_Rock
Goodness me! Look at all these beautiful rose cuts!

Smores84, your necklace is so beautiful!! I think rose cuts lend themselves perfectly to dbty pieces :lickout:

Yssie I have lusted after your pear since you first posted it! It makes such a unique piece!! Love, love, love the high crown. What a find!

OECsareforLovers- that sapphire sure looks good enough to eat! Simply delicious! I've never seen one like that before! Thanks for sharing! :D

And bastetcat, thank you! I am trying to just sit back and enjoy it... and not polish the heck out of the stones :lol: Your promise ring is so beautiful! Is that a sapphire cab? Looks divine! Those earrings are gorgeous too :love: Any chance of some shots after they were converted??

Gossamer

Rough_Rock
Here is a comparison between a pear-shaped rose cut (bottom stone) and a pear-shaped brilliant cut (top stone) combined into one piece.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1397501585|3653331 said:

Yssie, I totally lust after this piece! It is classic but the rosé cut gives it a little twist and makes it do much more special than a typical DBTY! If I wore necklaces, this would be exactly what I'd get!!

I've been told that it is liquid that causes issues when cleaning foil backed rosé cut stones. I'd intended to hand deliver the ring to Ari at the last GTG, but we missed each other and I can't go this year, so I guess it will have to wait a little longer. I know it hasn't been cleaned in over 50 years, so what's a few more, right?? ;-)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
quietlysw|1397515780|3653445 said:
Goodness me! Look at all these beautiful rose cuts!

Smores84, your necklace is so beautiful!! I think rose cuts lend themselves perfectly to dbty pieces :lickout:

Yssie I have lusted after your pear since you first posted it! It makes such a unique piece!! Love, love, love the high crown. What a find!

OECsareforLovers- that sapphire sure looks good enough to eat! Simply delicious! I've never seen one like that before! Thanks for sharing! :D

And bastetcat, thank you! I am trying to just sit back and enjoy it... and not polish the heck out of the stones :lol: Your promise ring is so beautiful! Is that a sapphire cab? Looks divine! Those earrings are gorgeous too :love: Any chance of some shots after they were converted??

Thank you! Yes- sapphire cab with rose cut halo. I thought I had an earshot of the post conversion but am having trouble finding them. I'll look again in the morning.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My ering has rosecuts for the sides, sorry all I have are cell pics right now. .22 and .22ct. I love the character it adds!!

img_20140415_192807178.jpg

img_20140415_192848294.jpg

img_20140415_192904121.jpg

img_20140415_192914526.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodess, so embarrassed, I can't delete my post, my side stones are OMC's not rose cuts. So sorry don't know where my mind is at :oops: (edited to add: just reported concern so hopefully they can delete for me. Beautiful peices though all of them, the sapphire cab is my favorite so far!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results