carat
color
clarity

Is your Platinum engagement ring heavy?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1397332678|3652471 said:
Maisie|1397331716|3652464 said:
Yes DS, definitely an heirloom for my lovely daughter when she is older. I love platinum. I didn't realise how affordable this ring would be so I want to take the chance to get my favourite metal. I don't work. I'm a stay at home mother and I home school James. Almost a life of leisure :lol:

The underside of the head is hollowed out. Hopefully that means it won't be heavy.

Dreamer, your husbands ring sounds like it's way more substantial than mine. I will bear in mind what you said about the weight though as I want to buy my husband a new platinum band. I won't get a heavy one as he types a lot for work.

That's great, Maisie! There are many kids on the spectrum who would do better with home school. I didn't find out until years later that my son was bullied in school but he was afraid to tell. :(sad

That makes me really sad. Poor soul. I can't imagine sending James to school now. I worried that he might be bullied as he got older. I don't think he would tell me either. He can't even cope with playing nearby other children at the park. He shouts at them :(sad

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes DS, definitely an heirloom for my lovely daughter when she is older. I love platinum. I didn't realise how affordable this ring would be so I want to take the chance to get my favourite metal. I don't work. I'm a stay at home mother and I home school James. Almost a life of leisure :lol:

The underside of the head is hollowed out. Hopefully that means it won't be heavy.

Dreamer, your husbands ring sounds like it's way more substantial than mine. I will bear in mind what you said about the weight though as I want to buy my husband a new platinum band. I won't get a heavy one as he types a lot for work.

Maisie, I think it will be a lot lighter than you think. And it's really amazing how quickly the body adapts. I'm sure that after wearing it for a week or two, you won't even notice it's on your finger. I have tried on some intricate looking platinum halos, and they felt so light to me. I think mine is heavy b/c it's solid platinum 2/3 around, about 3 mm wide and 2.5 mm deep at the shallowest point. The prongs are pretty industrial. Nothing delicate and refined.

My DH has a hefty platinum band and he's on the computer all day. I can weight it for you when he gets home. He's worn it for 16 years and does not even notice it. I just weighed it. 10 grams. I think that's probably pretty light for a man's ring, or around average.

Btw, there is this great Cartier band that I wanted to get my DH for our anniversary. Too bad he's so sentimental about the original. That Cartier band was FAB!! Let us know what you choose for your DH!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1397338385|3652502 said:

Maisie, I think it will be a lot lighter than you think. And it's really amazing how quickly the body adapts. I'm sure that after wearing it for a week or two, you won't even notice it's on your finger. I have tried on some intricate looking platinum halos, and they felt so light to me. I think mine is heavy b/c it's solid platinum 2/3 around, about 3 mm wide and 2.5 mm deep at the shallowest point. The prongs are pretty industrial. Nothing delicate and refined.

My DH has a hefty platinum band and he's on the computer all day. I can weight it for you when he gets home. He's worn it for 16 years and does not even notice it. I just weighed it. 10 grams. I think that's probably pretty light for a man's ring, or around average.

Btw, there is this great Cartier band that I wanted to get my DH for our anniversary. Too bad he's so sentimental about the original. That Cartier band was FAB!! Let us know what you choose for your DH!

I'm determined to have platinum! I will make it work lol! I know it might take getting used to and I'm expecting it to be heavier than my gold. Your ring does look substantial. It's a lot of platinum - if you can wear yours I'm sure I can get used to mine.

My husband wears a 4 mm palladium band at the minute. I would like to get him the 4mm plain platinum band from Cartier. I'm eyeing up the trinity ring - not sure which size to get. I wouldn't wear it with the new platinum setting we are discussing. I've tried the extra thin one and the next size up. I felt the thin one was too small on me so it will more than likely be this one.

_16899.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1397343714|3652513 said:

I'm determined to have platinum! I will make it work lol! I know it might take getting used to and I'm expecting it to be heavier than my gold. Your ring does look substantial. It's a lot of platinum - if you can wear yours I'm sure I can get used to mine.

My husband wears a 4 mm palladium band at the minute. I would like to get him the 4mm plain platinum band from Cartier. I'm eyeing up the trinity ring - not sure which size to get. I wouldn't wear it with the new platinum setting we are discussing. I've tried the extra thin one and the next size up. I felt the thin one was too small on me so it will more than likely be this one.

Wow, that Cartier trinity looks great with your ring in the picture. Really perfect. I tried the trinity, but it looked weird on my pudgy fingers. It looks perfect on yours. Cartier has the most gorgeous stuff...

This is the one I wanted to get my DH. I still troll ebay every now and then...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-C...31556364?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2c80541a0c

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1397345356|3652519 said:
Maisie|1397343714|3652513 said:

Wow, that Cartier trinity looks great with your ring in the picture. Really perfect. I tried the trinity, but it looked weird on my pudgy fingers. It looks perfect on yours. Cartier has the most gorgeous stuff...

This is the one I wanted to get my DH. I still troll ebay every now and then...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-C...31556364?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2c80541a0c

I like it! Don't they sell that one anymore or is it very expensive? I wouldn't normally shop at somewhere as posh as Cartier but I really like the idea of buying wedding bands from there. They were really nice when we went in. Even though we are common lol!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't feel heavier when I wear it, but when I take it off it feels much heavier and sounds heavier when I place it in the cup I keep to wash it in.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My plat ER is not too heavy. The weight is in the diamonds as the setting is quite basic -oval with side baquettes 3 stone design. It was heavy at first but years later it is light as a feather..

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
As I said, his ring is 20g. It is a Scott Kay band with diamonds. Gorgeous, but really just too heavy for anyone who types for a living!

I think anything under 10-12g is probably fine for a man. His original wb is a white gold band about that weight and he has no issues with it. He wears the heavier ring when we go out.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
My hubby's ring is 22 grams of platinum. He calls it "my precious (from LOTR)...One ring to rule them all". It's way too heavy for me and he takes it off as soon as he gets home. I don't think I could handle a 19 gram ring!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really. I mean sure it's heavier than gold would be, but even with my arthritis it's not at all heavy. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

I just weighed my platinum Gelin Abaci tension setting with a round 0.82 ct.
It weighs 16 grams and is size 8.

You just get used to it.

16 grams is only 0.035 pounds.
That's a third of a tenth of a pound.
That's nothing.
Your clothing and shoes weighs a few pounds, and I hear no complaints.

screen_shot_2014-04-13_at_12.png

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tekate, I know exactly what you mean when you say it feels heavier when you take it off. My plat e-ring definitely felt heavier when I held it in my hand.

Lambskin, I looked but there is no thread for your ring. By the sounds of it you have big diamonds! How fabulous!!

Dreamer, I offered my DH a ring with diamonds but he refused. I love to see men rocking diamond bands! Oh well, I will have the diamonds!! :lol:

Jerichosmom, I don't know if I could wear a 19g ring. I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. I could give it a good try though :bigsmile:

Gypsy, I love your ring. It's one of my favourite halos. Sorry about your arthritis. That must be painful.

Kenny, good points! I think your ring looks more solid and heavy than my setting will be so hopefully I will be fine. What a great photo!

MissBliss, I'm really looking forward to seeing your new setting and hearing how it feels! When will it be done?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Maisie!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
My platinum rings are heavier than my gold rings but not in an overly bothersome way. If you like the look of platinum go for it!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No, my platinum ring is not heavy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring has 10 grams of platinum and weighs more due to the large stone but I don't find it too heavy. That said, 19 grams is probably too heavy for my finger.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking the exact same thing Dreamer and Diamonseeker said as I scrolled down the comments. My french cut plat band was VERY substantial and it was 10g. It had about 8-9mm of solid metal on the bottom. Nineteen grams is really heavy for that type of ring. Can you ask to make sure they are certain? Maybe they est 19g before the cutouts and finishing? (I think someone else asked that too...)

Its a beautiful ring though!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not say Heavy. I would say there is noticeable heft to it vs gold, yes, but not heavy.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely go platinum. I actually prefer the extra weight. I have a heavy watch that took me a couple of months to get used to, and now when I take it off - I feel like something is missing. :lol:

I just had my rings created and I asked for them to be heavy and solid. Nothing dainty or delicate as I'm a bit brutish on occasion and need something that can withstand rough treatment without losing a stone or bending, like I've done to many a gold and silver ring. You get used to it after a while.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all your replies! It's been most helpful. I'm definitely going for platinum. I heard back from David Klass and he said the ring won't weigh 19g but it will have a good weight to it :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results