shape
carat
color
clarity

Be honest..do you exceed the speed limit...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same with me, all the time. I have at least five tickets :(

I use my cruise control now so I'm not tempted any more.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go the speed of the surrounding traffic. That way, I can't get pulled over for going faster than another! :lol: I've been known to take my Yaris up to three digit speeds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try my best to never be late so I only exceed the speed limit if I am in a rush. I drive just under the speed limit at most other times. I am one of those drivers who think it is cool to see how far I stretch the mpg efficiency of my vehicle.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1396885774|3648991 said:
I try my best to never be late so I only exceed the speed limit if I am in a rush. I drive just under the speed limit at most other times. I am one of those drivers who think it is cool to see how far I stretch the mpg efficiency of my vehicle.
Cruising at 70 mph will get you the most mpg.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1396913487|3649281 said:
Chrono|1396885774|3648991 said:
Cruising at 70 mph will get you the most mpg.

Wrong.
Best MPG is closer to 40 MPH.

70 MPH pisses away 30% more gas than 40 MPH.

Just imagine, you could slash your gas bill starting today without changing cars.

Source: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.jsp

screen_shot_2014-04-07_at_4.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDK Kenny...the computer on my car show that I get the most MPG cruising at 65-70 mph b/c the auto trans is running on its 6th gear. At 40 mph the trans probably running on its 4th gear?... :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gear matters less than RPM.
Yes if you went 65-70 in forth gear you'd have an apples to apples explanation for why sixth gear was more efficient than fourth at 65-70.
Both gears are appropriate for their speeds, and RPM should be similar cruising on level ground at a constant speed - but MPG won't.

Over around 50 MPG most of the gas is used to push the air out of the way, not to push the vehicle forward.

Less-so with aerodynamic designs, more-so with boxy vehicles.

Still, even though Lexi are relatively low-drag I'm very skeptical your MPG peaks at 65-70.
Physics is physics.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
No speeding here. People cut me off and drive crazy. Courtesy seems to be lacking on freeways. My children(young adults who all drive)are all males and I want to be a good example. When I'm on surface streets people try to race me all the time because of my car. My kids say go for it. I don't. Needless to say my kids don't drive my car.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I don't speed. And if I go over it is by 5 mph. One of my cars is a hybrid. I like coasting down hills and I drive in a way to save gas and brakes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF,
I have a Lexi too and it isn't the most efficient at 70 MPH, even on cruise. It seems to maximize at 50 MPH.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1396967871|3649713 said:
DF,
I have a Lexi too and it isn't the most efficient at 70 MPH, even on cruise. It seems to maximize at 50 MPH.
that is too slow on the freeway you may cause an accident.. :bigsmile:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Speed limit in on the toll road I take to work is 65, I'm usually about 10-15 mph over speed limit because there's very little traffic on the toll road. I know where the speed traps are though, and have evaded a ticket so far (knock on wood). I also noticed that there's a pattern to when the cops are out, It's always month end, and on Thursdays and Fridays!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1396969331|3649727 said:
Chrono|1396967871|3649713 said:
DF,
that is too slow on the freeway you may cause an accident.. :bigsmile:

I agree.
I get mad when I see a hybrid going slowly in the left lanes, as if they are trying to teach a lesson. :roll: :angryfire:
I keep it around 55 MPH in the right-most of our 4 to 8-lane Los Angeles freeways.
I save my preaching for Internet fora where nobody can shoot me. :D

I'm am delighted though when traffic is so heavy that we are all slowed down to around 40. :sun:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive anywhere between 5 and 9 miles over. That's it. Only because every time (3) I've ever sped, I've gotten a ticket. I'm horribly unlucky with traffic violations :lol:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
'Safety First' is my motto. Speed kills. I live in a rural area where deer jump into the road, even the freeway. I think about braking time, reaction time, etc. and speeding can easily cost you your life...all for getting somewhere 5 to 15 minutes sooner.

I drive in the right lane on the freeway and only speed up going into the left lane to pass. I'm courteous and always let other drivers pass me.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I go 0-5 over the speed limit. *Maybe 10 if there is no one around. Only more than that if I'm passing and that's rare. My friends call me a granny driver. I believe those limits are there for a REASON!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I'd get run over if I didn't. Everybody drives fast in Dallas/Fort Worth. And Houston is worse, if traffic is actually moving.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1396847141|3648760 said:
I go the speed of the surrounding traffic. That way, I can't get pulled over for going faster than another! :lol: I've been known to take my Yaris up to three digit speeds.

Yes, you can! I got two speeding tickets, a week apart, for this very thing. Of course, it was years ago. In the same town, on the same street. I was on my way to check the progress of a home we had bought that was being built. Had my two babies in the car and wasn't going crazy fast, maybe 10 over the speed limit.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Yes. Exceed speed limit.

Yes. Road rage. But, I do it in the nicest way. I promise...

BhavinJ

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have to drive slow :( on freeways, cause my wife hates speed. But I am glad when I am on track I can remove all my frustrations there... I am a pro drag racer and I also ride FMX :)

Mia16

Rough_Rock
Add me to the 'old lady' club. The faster I go, the longer it takes to react to an unexpected situation, whether it's a pedestrian or another car making an unexpected lane change. Then there's road rage, No thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results