shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for some honest advice...

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Im in need of your honest opinions and advice. Sorry for the long post....
My husband and I worked together with a local jeweler to create my 10 year anniversary upgrade. I finally received it last month and love my ring so much. My original e-ring was .75 old mine cut and now I have a 2.2 cushion cut so it's a huge difference and beautiful and sparkly!! However, there is one issue I am having and I don't know if I just need to suck it up and get over it or I should talk to the jeweler about fixing it.

The issue is this. I told the jeweler that I wanted my e-ring and wedding band to sit flush together. So after they casted my ring they shaved a portion off of one side of the ring so the band would sit flush. They definitely sit flush perfectly! After wearing them flush for a few days I realized I did not like them flush together. I actually prefer a small gap between the two rings so you can distinguish them apart and it doesn't look like one wide band. So, I posted on "show me the bling" forum and they had a great idea of getting a thin spacer band to sit in between the two Rings. So I purchased a thin twist rose gold band from etsy. I really like the band in between the two rings and I like the visual color difference of the platinum and rose gold. However now when I look at the profile of my e-ring the asymmetry is driving me bonkers. I think the only solution to this is probably recasting the whole ring. Which sounds like a lot of $$$. It's totally my fault because I told them I wanted the rings flush, and I don't know if anyone other than me would even notice the asymmetry.
So I am attaching pics of what it looks like and want your opinions on what to do...

Thanks in advance for you advice and opinions!!!

_16941.jpg

_16942.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a really thin spacer in rose gold so that the bands almost touch but are separated by a tiny bit of color. That way the asymmetrical setting would still "make sense". That would give you something to try while you figure it out.
Not a perfect answer, but I was trying to think what I would do.

Can you find out how much it would cost to rebuild that part of the ring? Maybe they could do a laser repair.

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply @Jimmianne
I didn't know they could possibly laser repair it. I can definitely ask them. I feel bad because I specifically asked for them to sit flush so I am sure they are going to be annoyed :|

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now you have the option of wearing your set multiple ways. You may choose to wear your set flush sometimes and stacked other times. It's nice to have that option. It looks beautiful both ways.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would keep it as is and play around with different spacers, you have so many options with thin bands.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the etsy folks sell silver as well as gold. That way you can try out some different
widths cheaply. When you find out what looks best then buy it it gold or plat.

I think I'm fixing to start this process. You can get anywhere from .8mm up to 1.5mm.

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Thanks y'all! Appreciate your responses!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could the jeweler also "shave" the other side of the ring so that it's symmetrical, since it sounds like you're happy with the visual gap created by the rose gold stacking band?

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Don't change what is already perfect. You'll just over cook it.

It's an absolutely stunning set!

blod :love:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1397485620|3653218 said:
Could the jeweler also "shave" the other side of the ring so that it's symmetrical, since it sounds like you're happy with the visual gap created by the rose gold stacking band?

This was also my first reaction, instead of having it re cast, fix the opposite side.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
blodthecat|1397486144|3653224 said:
Don't change what is already perfect. You'll just over cook it.

It's an absolutely stunning set!

blod :love:

I am thinking like blodthecat. I think it looks nice either flush or with the rose gold. Honestly, think your wayyyyyyyyy to picky. Your ring is to die for just enjoy the huge upgrade, the rest will iron itself out. In my HO I would never have it recast unless I was looking to pick a fight with my hubby

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Heididdl- thanks for your honesty! Ha, I probably am being too nit picky. We have just spent so much time and money on this ring and will
Be my one any only upgrade so I just want it to be perfect. But I do feel good to know that it's
Not something that is so obvious. In real life I'm sure I will be the only person who sees the asymmetry.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Honestly, I was looking at it and thinking what is wrong with this? I do not really see your point, to me it looks like perfection, I would not touch something that is perfect but if you want to change it, it may not cost that much, it depends. I can be way to picky about pieces I design and my jeweler custom makes for me but most the time I realize it is usually the best the first time around but then my jeweler does amazing work. Still not sure there is such a thing as perfect>; it is totally subjective. In my case now with a new piece I am wearing it was whether to change the chain, whether to rodium plate and I realized I did not like the flashy look of rodium plating as I want to stones to stand out but another person might feel the opposite. Your set looks amazing but you have to know how you feel about it.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
Seriously, your rings are gorgeous! I would not change a thing. :love:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I saw your picture and couldn't see what you were talking about. Then I showed it to my hubby, and he pointed out what you were referring to. My settings are all stock, so I can live with imperfections. But, if I had it custom-made, then yes, I would want it perfect for my eyes, and a detail like that would bother. I think it's worth consulting your jeweler to at least see what can be done, and the base your decision on that. No harm in asking.

alisaak

Rough_Rock
So I asked the jeweler how much it would cost and they came back with a quote of $2600 to rescast and replace the beads. So,
Will definitely NOT be doing anything at this time. Thanks for all your opinions. Appreciate it!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1397485620|3653218 said:
I think that would look really good! My 2 cents.

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne & Ericad ... Do you think that would look ok if I had them shave the other side down as well. I'm attaching pics of what each side looks like.

_16997.jpg

_16998.jpg

_16999.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not change anything. You have the best of both worlds. If someday you do not feel like having a gap you flip the ring around. When you do then you can too! I've the course if years you will change your mind. So don't do anything and allow yourself the options. My 2c.

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Thank you LLJsmom for your words of advice. Appreciate it! :loopy:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say that I also prefer the gap. I love your rose gold spacer band! I think it would bother me, too, to have the sides not match. I do like the side that has the beads all the way down, though! So I'd probably try to wear it that way for awhile (with the beads on the outside of the set) and then if it still bothers you, I'd have them make both sides alike. Very pretty rings!!!

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker2006. It makes me so sad to know that both sides were the same and me asking for the rings to be flush caused all this drama and I prefer them not flush now!!! . And now to change it back will be $2600. Oh goodness. Could
Be worse things in life trying to keep things in perspective. But I do love the spacer a lot it's adds the perfect gap and pop of color.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
You asked for honesty, so here goes…. I agree that you're being too picky. If you're that unhappy with it, then shave down the other side and move on with life. Also, being an owner of several bands from Etsy (I actually own that twisty band too), I would encourage you to shop around and purchase some bands in various widths. I love the twisty band, but not with your set for some reason. I had a super-thin rose gold spacer in my set and I just switched to a 1.6mm rose gold spacer because I wanted it to be a little more chunky. Here's mine (both the wedding band & spacer band are from Etsy)

10259969_10203204777895956_750586997472434522_1.jpg

alisaak

Rough_Rock
Thanks momhappy for your honesty. Your rings are GORGEOUS!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Thanks.
By the way, I'm a stickler for symmetry too, so if the minor inconsistency on your ring will continue to bother you, shave down the other side.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
My eyes usually like symmetry too, but I also like the beads that go all the way down to your finger on that one side, I wouldn't shave that off too. Leave as is for a good bit of time. Everything is amplified when you get a new piece (I am just as guilty of struggling with the same issues though).

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It really depends on your own personal tolerances. The lack of symmetry would bother me because I know that the angle that you, the wearer, frequently see is the side view where the difference is visible. Others who look at your ring would never see it from any other angle, but that's the angle you see the most! As I'm typing this, I'm looking at my left ring finger and the angle is the side view, and so if it were my personal ring, I'd modify it so that both sides match.

But I'm fairly OCD about things like that - as you can see from this thread, most people wouldn't be bothered by the asymmetrical modification, so it really depends on what you can live with.

What about removing the beads on the other side, then engraving the shank and adding milgrain to dress it up so that the textured basket blends with the side of the shank? I think that would be a gorgeous consolation prize for giving up the beading!

alisaak

Rough_Rock
@vinjewels you are totally right! Things are definitely amplified since it's new.

@ericad --yes! That's the angle that I see constantly and the asymmetry catches my eye often. But in reality I'm sure no one else notices it. Apparently I'm fairly OCD as well. !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results