shape
carat
color
clarity

Why I love my luxury hairdryer

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Got a new hairdryer http://www.amazon.com/Parlux-PAR401...sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1397097928&sr=1-2 and diffuser http://www.amazon.com/Parlux-D38-3800-Diffuser/dp/B005461EZU/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_y

Here's why I love it.

1. Better hair, style lasts longer so I wash less
2. Less burning hair
3. Faster drying - time matters

Alternating between hot and cool shot is great. The diffuser dries my natural curls without creating a giant fuzzy poof. If you wash your hair often, time saved drying adds up. I only wash my hair once a week but it's long and thick.

The purchase made me want to talk about hair dryers generally but also how nice it is to appreciate a high quality consumer item in the spirit of Pricescope.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: Wow that's expensive. I bought the BabylissPro for ~$60 and thought THAT was a splurge!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got myself a ceramic-ionic hair dryer a few years ago. Nice, thought not quite that nice. :wink2: It definitely dries faster than my prior dryer, and leaves my hair smoother with less frizz. A worthwhile little luxury! It's not quite as quiet as I'd like though... I could be convinced to trade up for a truly quiet dryer.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel less indulgent seeing the price of the Harry Josh. It wouldn't be a fit for me however, with my long hair the short stubby-nose wouldn't be long enough (to avoid burning my hair).

Maybe it's just me who struggles with burning hair? Once when I borrowed a hair dryer I ended burning off a large chunk at the front and my friend asked whether I'd cut a fringe (aka bangs).

D

Deactivated member 42515

I totally agree with you. High end hair styling tools all the way. Most people I know don't bring all their tools when they sleep at a hotel. I can't stand the hair dryer in hotel rooms.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I need to find a high-end model that has a quiet motor. I seriously think that my loud hair dryers have contributed to my hearing loss over the years (I have a minimal amount of hearing loss, but still enough for me to say what "what" way more than I should at my age). Also, I thought that I had heard that ionic hair dryers were not good for fine/thin hair types (in terms of a desire to create more volume). Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Glad you like your new hair dryer OP :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1397159950|3651336 said:
I need to find a high-end model that has a quiet motor. I seriously think that my loud hair dryers have contributed to my hearing loss over the years (I have a minimal amount of hearing loss, but still enough for me to say what "what" way more than I should at my age). Also, I thought that I had heard that ionic hair dryers were not good for fine/thin hair types (in terms of a desire to create more volume). Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

momhappy, have you tried the Bio Ionic Whisper Light Pro? My friend is a stylist and she brought me to a pros-only store, where I bought one. The difference in noise was considerable, and it does a great job with my hair! I recently ventured to another, more expensive, pro dryer only to return to the Bio Ionic because it does a better job and is so quiet. I had forgotten how loud and unbearable dryers can be, the new one was so loud and piercing! I have wavy/curly, fine hair. I use the diffuser with it - awesome diffuser with nice long fingers to help give lift and separation.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: quiet/loud, I don't think it's just about the overall volume - there are degrees of 'pleasantness' with white noise. My hair dryer sounds great and I don't have to use it as much given the quality job it does.

If I was concerned about hearing loss I'd examine all aspects of my lifestyle and investigate age-related factors before pointing the finger at a certain device. I wear ear plugs at concerts / clubs but I don't think it does any good since airplane noise is so loud and I fly so often (just landed actually).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I'm not pointing a finger at one, particular device. I said that I felt that loud hair dryers may have CONTRIBUTED to a minor amount of hearing loss over the years. I actually had my hearing tested about 10 years ago and the results indicated some minor loss. I blow dry my hair daily (and have for probably almost 25 years). It's not that far-fetched to think that repeated exposure to a noisy hair dryer could contribute to hearing loss.

UPDATE: I just did a quick Google search and found that hair dryers can in fact, contribute to hearing loss. There were lots of articles - here's just one:
http://www.howsyourhearing.org/hearingloss.html

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1397164508|3651383 said:

momhappy, have you tried the Bio Ionic Whisper Light Pro? My friend is a stylist and she brought me to a pros-only store, where I bought one. The difference in noise was considerable, and it does a great job with my hair! I recently ventured to another, more expensive, pro dryer only to return to the Bio Ionic because it does a better job and is so quiet. I had forgotten how loud and unbearable dryers can be, the new one was so loud and piercing! I have wavy/curly, fine hair. I use the diffuser with it - awesome diffuser with nice long fingers to help give lift and separation.

Thanks - I'll check it out =)

sparkly_blonde

Rough_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1397154489|3651282 said:
I air dry.

I do too. When I was working full time and not in school I bought a luxury hairdryer as well. People asked me if I had switched shampoos or something because my hair looked so much softer and shiny :D Right now it's just a waste of time to blow dry when walking to class will cause it to frizz, fly, and look like a disaster

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Quaddio I'm trying to figure out if this would work for my hair, I have frizzy, slightly past bra length, thinnish hair. My current routine is to blow dry front part of hair or it gets unruly and let the rest air dry, then I flat iron first 4 inches or so and curl ends. I'm using a solia dryer at the moment, it's decent and has lasted for a long time but I know will eventually die.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Ok, color me clueless....but WHY is this hair dryer worth over $200? What does it do that my Conair doesn't do? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm actually very seriously curious. Thanks.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SandyCheeks|1397173523|3651488 said:
Quaddio I'm trying to figure out if this would work for my hair, I have frizzy, slightly past bra length, thinnish hair. My current routine is to blow dry front part of hair or it gets unruly and let the rest air dry, then I flat iron first 4 inches or so and curl ends. I'm using a solia dryer at the moment, it's decent and has lasted for a long time but I know will eventually die.

In my opinion the hairdryer will work for everyone who uses a hairdryer. You don't have to buy the diffuser. I've had several friends use it with varying hair types and have been told the 'directioner' attachment (comes with hairdryer - it makes the air come out in a 'line' instead of the round end) is perfect for straight hair and volume through the roots.

As you can see from my selfies I don't have thin hair. My only product is leave-in conditioner and I never use irons, curlers, straighteners or brush. Also I wash infrequently. I think the more you style your hair with tools etc the more benefit you could potentially get out of a great hairdryer since it's gentler, faster and helps reduce frequency of washing/drying etc.

I'm definitely not a hair expert but have found a way to make my hair work for me and experienced significant improvement with this product.

anonhair2.png

anonhairdouble.png

anonhair1.png

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1397164508|3651383 said:

Completely agree that professional grade products are superior - when you think of the salons blow drying all day every day. I googled the Bio Ionic- looks amazing, but since I already invested I'm ok for now. I have only used one diffuser before and it was bigger with fingers compared to the little one I got this time. I actually prefer the smaller size diffuser since it's easier to travel and handle while drying.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YT|1397157365|3651313 said:
I totally agree with you. High end hair styling tools all the way. Most people I know don't bring all their tools when they sleep at a hotel. I can't stand the hair dryer in hotel rooms.

Most of my business trips are 3-4 nights at a time so I don't wash my hair, just use a shower cap. I wear my hair up every day at work.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1397165411|3651395 said:
^I'm not pointing a finger at one, particular device. I said that I felt that loud hair dryers may have CONTRIBUTED to a minor amount of hearing loss over the years. I actually had my hearing tested about 10 years ago and the results indicated some minor loss. I blow dry my hair daily (and have for probably almost 25 years). It's not that far-fetched to think that repeated exposure to a noisy hair dryer could contribute to hearing loss.

UPDATE: I just did a quick Google search and found that hair dryers can in fact, contribute to hearing loss. There were lots of articles - here's just one:
http://www.howsyourhearing.org/hearingloss.html

Yikes *covers ears*

Daily blow drying for 25 years - you must be good at it! Definitely worth investing in one you like in that case.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
madelise said:
:shock: Wow that's expensive. I bought the BabylissPro for ~$60 and thought THAT was a splurge!!

Babyliss is a Conair brand.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Rainy daze. I too have the Bio ionic dryers and I love it.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1397267579|3652157 said:
Ok, color me clueless....but WHY is this hair dryer worth over $200? What does it do that my Conair doesn't do? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm actually very seriously curious. Thanks.

If you're happy with Conair great, maybe your hair style and time wouldn't be improved by a different model? See the first post for reasons I love it. Text based description can only go so far, here's a video, I skipped through most of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNraUnG_5DE

My strongest personal reason for favoring higher quality is planned obsolescence - good business and great for equity holders but not my preference / lifestyle choice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something's wrong.
It states "2100 watts".
That's impossibly high for home use.

The proof is the formula that describes the relationship between volts, amps and watts:
Power in watts divided by voltage in volts = current in amps.

I google parlux 3800 and found more specs:

Sure nuff, it states 110 volts and 2100 watts.
2100watts / 110vots = 19amps

An appliance that draws 19 amps would trip everyone's 15 amp breakers.

Something's wrong here.

screen_shot_2014-04-14_at_1.png

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Something's wrong.
It states "2100 watts".
That's impossibly high for home use.

The proof is the formula that describes the relationship between volts, amps and watts:
Power in watts divided by voltage in volts = current in amps.

I google parlux 3800 and found more specs:

Sure nuff, it states 110 volts and 2100 watts.
2100watts / 110vots = 19amps

An appliance that draws 19 amps would trip everyone's 15 amp breakers.

Something's wrong here.

Hi Kenny,

Interesting.. I know the company has to refit their items for different markets. I know 1800 watts is max for 15 amps at 120 V in the United States. I will consult my engineer friends and get back to you - could be that they didn't update their specs for the US market but it seems a little off.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Crumbs...that is expensive. it would have to dry my hair and make breakfast for that price!

blod

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
quaddio|1397486613|3653229 said:
Interesting.. I know the company has to refit their items for different markets. I know 1800 watts is max for 15 amps at 120 V in the United States. I will consult my engineer friends and get back to you - could be that they didn't update their specs for the US market but it seems a little off.

Thanks, I'm curious what the electrical engineer will say.
Here in the US you can also get other specialized outlets for 20A or higher for things like heavy-duty motors or a kiln for baking pottery.

It just seems very unlikely a hand-held hair dryer would require this since0 amp plug will not even physically plug into our standard 15 amp outlets.
Here is a 20 amp plug and the two outlets side by side.

Sorry for the threadjack, but this is blowing my mind.
Quaddio, does the plug on your hair dryer look like the one above?

screen_shot_2014-04-14_at_9.png

screen_shot_2014-04-14_at_2.png

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
quaddio|1397486613|3653229 said:

Thanks, I'm curious what the electrical engineer will say.
Here in the US you can also get other specialized outlets for 20A or higher for things like heavy-duty motors or a kiln for baking pottery.

It just seems very unlikely a hand-held hair dryer would require this since0 amp plug will not even physically plug into our standard 15 amp outlets.
Here is a 20 amp plug and the two outlets side by side.

Sorry for the threadjack, but this is blowing my mind.
Quaddio, does the plug on your hair dryer look like the one above?

Hi Kenny,

I came back from my trip and checked out my appliance. It has a standard three-pin plug like the one on the left (15A) with 'test/reset' buttons.

I checked with the engineering committee and there were many dissenters - apparently international conversions can be done in a number of ways which are essentially the same as a permanent version of an international adaptor. Since the hairdryer uses grounded power the engineering 'committee' decided the most likely scenario was that the 'reset/test-plug' also contained some kind of transformer.

Having used high-wattage hairdryers in other countries I never saw a big difference between the 1600, 1800 and 2000 watt models in terms of performance, but the 2100 (my current model) outperforms all previous hairdryers in my opinion. To be honest though, I would not pay full price for the top of the line Parlux that I have when the mid-range models are still awesome at a better price. Luckily for me I got a screaming deal (so for those who had sticker shock earlier, I paid nowhere near the Amazon advertised price).

Now for what really matters - today's a good hair day!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for following up.

So, since your unit has the US standard 15 amp plug it cannot draw 2000 watts (as erroneously stated in listings for the product) since a 15 amp circuit breaker trips when something tries to draw more than 15 amps.
… which happens over 1650 watts,110 volts times 15 amps.

Anyway, I'm glad you are happy with your high-quality hair dryer.
I share your appreciation for a fine example of a product though it often costs way more than the usual version.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results