shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage ring... possible man made diamond? Help!

Hey everyone-
So I bought this ring & I am wondering how old it is or if the diamond is man made... Does anyone know some determining factors that could help me determine? It appears to be vintage- but I am unsure of how old. It looks like at some point someone soldered it in the back with a different kind of metal. All 3 of the stones appear to be glued in. The detail has long since worn, and with a loupe you can see some aging on the metal. Other than that, there are no marks (10k, 14k etc) and I believe it may be brass? Any help you can give me in regards to what cut the stone is, and what the setting is called would be great! Thanks so much in advance!

_194.jpeg

_195.jpeg

_196.jpeg

_197.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The simplest way to determine if it is a real diamond (or other stone) and if it is gold is to take it to a pawn shop or local small town/independent jeweler (avoid the mall chains) and ask them to test it for you. Let us know what they say and good luck. Some old rings have rose gold that could look a little different than the yellow gold we always see.
It is a well worn ring, someone enjoyed it very much.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Yes may question would have been whether you tested the stone and made sure it is a diamond. Definitely take it to a trusted jeweler and have them test the centerstone and look at the side stones, they could be synthetic rubies, I think in what appears to be the era it was not common to use synthetic diamonds but very common to use synthetic corundum. That said the center could simply be glass or colorless synthetic corundum as well. I have seen many variations; one piece we looked at had a larger synthetic ruby center in a rose cut diamond halo out of which one was replaced by glass.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second the notion of getting it checked out by a pro. It's usually not very difficult and most don't charge to do this.

Glue doesn't stick very well to diamonds, either mined or manmade, so if you're confident that it's mounted with glue then it's probably not a diamond. Even most of the fakes can't be set this way.

Realistically MMD's have only been on the market for about 10 years. If you know the age from family history to be older than that, you've ruled them out as an option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results