shape
carat
color
clarity

losing faith - need an honest diamond dealer/jeweler in LA

London

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

So I am in the market to buy a 3+ carat step cut diamond and also need some setting work done on a few other pieces. I was referred to a good friends diamond dealer and he tried to rip me off! One of the diamonds he tried to sell me was one I saw on PS diamond search. Thank god for PS! He tried to sell it to me for 3k more than one of the online retailers. I vaguely asked him about it without telling him that I saw it online for cheaper and he told me he is selling it to me cheaper than any other wholesaler would. I didn't let on that I knew he was lying. Anyway this and the fact that I was borderline charged too much for my engagement ring diamond 6 years ago has made me feel very skeptical about this industry and the people in it. If I was't so in love with the step cut I would probably never want another diamond again.

So my question is can someone truthfully vouch for someone honest in LA? I have considered purchasing online but feel that I'd be better off buying a round brilliant through that method because everything is outlined on the cert. Fancy cuts need an expert eye as we all know. I have watched all of GOG's video's and tried to educate myself as much as possible but still don't think I have anywhere near the expert eye I need to make a purchase like this. I do wish I still lived in NY because I would probably just go to Johnathan. To be honest this would be a very sizable purchase so I really would like to know that I am getting a good price for a well cut good quality diamond.

I am looking for a jeweler/diamond dealer in LA that I can use going forward and know I can trust 100%. Someone that can renew my faith in this industry. Please let me know if anyone knows of someone like this. TIA

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: losing faith - need an honest diamond dealer/jeweler in

Just use Jonathan! I don't know anyone I'd trust more than him to find a fancy cut! Not to mention his prices likely will be better which you have already discovered! He does videos comparing the stones, which I have had him do when I was buying diamonds, and I found that totally reliable! Worst case scenario is you pay the shipping to see the stone and send it back to have it set or to consider another stone. I did this a few times, too!

It would be great to find a good bench jeweler locally for repairs, but the custom ring makers I know in that area do not do repairs to other ring makers work.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMO there's no benefit from insisting on a local jeweler.
Actually, doing so puts you at a tremendous disadvantage.
Compare the odds of finding a good jeweler local, to finding one worldwide.
UPS, FedEx, USPS, and MalcaAmit have made the entire world local.

I second the recommendation for Jonathan at www.goodoldgold.com
I've bought 3 fantastic step cut diamonds from him.
You may want to check out the Octavia Asscher.
It's the step cut in my avatar, and is sold only at goodoldgold.

Good cut/light performance is soooo important to beautiful appearance … much more-so than color or clarity.
Unfortunately most step cuts are not cut for good light performance.
They are cut to save as much weight as possible from the rough diamond.
Many emerald cuts will look flat and dead, instead of putting on a light show.

Goodoldgold specializes in recognizing and offering some superbly-cut step cuts.
Not all of their inventory is top cut, but if you tell Jonathan what you are looking for I think he can find your special diamond.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

I too think that you should not have any reservations about using Jonathan for your stone. For an honest, bend over backwards jeweler in the LA area, you should check out David Klass. He has done many pieces for me and also has done fantastic repairs. Do a search on this site and see what others say. I live in Northern CA and have no problem with shipping to and fro.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/[/URL]

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

+1 to what Kenny said. I have bought from Good Old Gold, not an Asscher though. But Jon can pic great ones, and I believe the Asscher might be less per ct than the RB now. Of course, they are deeper and face up smaller than a RB of same carat weight.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Victor Canera if you have to be in LA.

I like in the SF Bay Area, and I would buy from GOG. That's the best recommendation I have too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with what everyone has posted. Email Victor and ask what he can source for you. He is not always the cheapest but he is an honest and genuinely nice guy, he does try and be competitive with his pricing and he has a great eye for stones.... If you want preloved Grace from Jewels by Grace (already listed above) gets some fantastic big antique step cuts from time to time. H. Moradi is another place that has a lot of nice, well priced second hand rings including some killer step cuts from time to time, having said that I don't claim they are honest (but they do haggle) and you can put anything you find on here for opinions from the experts;

http://www.hmoradi.com/

Other than that don't be afraid of using GOG, I live in Australia and have dealt with them with no hassles. They have a killer 5.16 D VS1 Asscher for sale and some nice Emerald cuts at the moment on their website.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree with all of the above. Don't let online shopping keep you from getting a step cut. The recommended Jewelers should be able to get you a real beauty!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I live in LA and have had no problems working with GOG. Sarah and Jonathan are great! I also had a great experience with Victor so if you are looking for an LA based jeweler I'd highly recommend him.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Profit is not a 4 letter word. I certainly weary of diamond dealers making claims about what’s ‘wholesale’ and what isn’t but charging a higher price is NOT what makes a ripoff. Presumably the reason to buy from them is that you value their local presence, you value the advice from their staff, you value the access to their workshop or whatever it is that took you there. Those are all fine reasons but they’re not free, with diamonds or anything else. If they’re not correct, or you don’t care for the price, by all means go somewhere else but, again, this is not what makes a ripoff.

If the benchmark for pricing is the PS advertising dealers, buy from one of them. They’re highly public and highly price competitive. Several maintain showrooms where you can go to look at things if you like. All are prepared to ship goods to you within a few days. Most will be cooperative to include a local independent appraiser where you can inspect things in person and with the tools and assistance of your own chosen expert. It’s a bit more work, and it’s not the path for everyone but it almost always is cheaper, even after you cover the costs of the shipping, the appraiser, the setting work and so on.

You specifically mentioned GOG as the store you WISH you could shop at. So shop there. They'll send you stones if you ask. If you don't like it, they'll take it back and repeat the process as many times as you like. You can even show up in Long Island if you want. They've got a store after all. Airfare is remarkably cheap on the grand scale of these things. There's no particular reason to be compromising on this. You've chosen your expert to help you pick a stone and you already trust him. Use him.

FirefliesAtSunset

Rough_Rock

I recommend GOG!!! I have had an excellent buying experience with them! I live up in Canada…so my purchases were done via internet, and phone calls…Everything went smoothly! Finding the stone of my dreams was easy!!!! Communication with Jonathan was and has been excellent. Great prices, and I must say: It does not matter whether you are on a small budget or a large one, you will be treated like royalty!!!! I have nothing but good things to say about GOG, Jonathan and his staff. They took care of me during and after this process. Excellent prices, availability, communication, and they were soooo patient with me!

London

Shiny_Rock

Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions! Very very helpful.

I am also looking for approx 3crt sapphire to set in a current setting I own. Any new recommendations for this or would the same apply?

denverappraiser, I understand what you are saying and maybe calling it a 'ripoff' is a little harsh but I think I am just saddened that someone who is my friends good friend and long time jeweler would quote me a price that is so much more than what I can get on my own.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I live in Los Angeles, and have had a great experience with Jonathan at GOG. For step cuts, really, you need someone superb and not your everyday jeweler in downtown LA. If you're nervous about the whole online and shipping thing....

1) For that $3K "ripoff", you can afford the flight to/fro NY.

or

2) Ask Jonathan to do what he did for me. He sent the diamond to Patrick Davis, an independent appraiser in Culver City. From there, Patrick met with me and did the appraisal. The package was picked up by Patrick himself for a fee, as I didn't want to deal with anything with shipping and potentially losing a $35K diamond. Patrick kept the package locked and secure until I arrived, and together, in front of himself and myself, and a camera recording, we opened the package. He did his appraisal, and let me look at the live ASET. THEN, according to his agreement with Jonathan, he kept the stone until my payment cleared with GOG. I went back to pick up the stone when GOG cleared the payment with Patrick. Was this all unnecessary? Probably. But for that high ticket price value, it bought me safety for my paranoia.

couchpotato

Rough_Rock

madelise|1397714781|3654860 said:
I live in Los Angeles, and have had a great experience with Jonathan at GOG. For step cuts, really, you need someone superb and not your everyday jeweler in downtown LA. If you're nervous about the whole online and shipping thing....

or

2) Ask Jonathan to do what he did for me. He sent the diamond to Patrick Davis, an independent appraiser in Culver City. From there, Patrick met with me and did the appraisal. The package was picked up by Patrick himself for a fee, as I didn't want to deal with anything with shipping and potentially losing a $35K diamond. Patrick kept the package locked and secure until I arrived, and together, in front of himself and myself, and a camera recording, we opened the package. He did his appraisal, and let me look at the live ASET. THEN, according to his agreement with Jonathan, he kept the stone until my payment cleared with GOG. I went back to pick up the stone when GOG cleared the payment with Patrick. Was this all unnecessary? Probably. But for that high ticket price value, it bought me safety for my paranoia.

@madelise Did your appraiser in culver city determine the value of the diamond is equal to, lower, or higher than your purchased price from GOG?

Did anyone else have the diamond independently appraised with a value equal to, lower, or higher than the purchased price from GOG?

I began my e-ring search not long ago and read several reviews recommending GOG. But, their prices are a bit higher than other online vendors and I was wondering if the appraised value is at least equal to the purchase price from GOG. TIA

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

It shouldn't appraiser for higher.

Inflated appraisals are not good things.

If you buy a ring at retail. The retail replacement value is going to be pretty much the same price as you paid. A little bit more or a little bit less is fine. But you don't want extremes of increase or decrease.

You need to understand appraisals better. It's only with time, the the rising of retail diamond costs that your rings appraisal value should exceed the purchase price by a significant amount.

TrueBlue

Rough_Rock

OP, are you really trade, or is that accidental?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would say that GOGs prices are not much if any higher than other vendors. I bought two round brilliants from them at a time where I was looking at other vendors who carried H&A stones and they were not higher. Yes, they are higher than a drop shipper who offers little information on the stones, no trade-in, etc. But because of all the info GOG offers on their stones in addition to the lab report, I have never had any need for an independent appraisal. GOG does carry some premium brands that cost more than generic unbranded diamonds. But if you bought those same diamonds at a typical jewelry store, I can guarantee the prices would be a lot higher!

I have always had diamonds sent directly to me. If I decided to send it back and look at another, they'd send me their shipping label so that their insurance was covering the return. The price of shipping was well worth it to be able to see a couple of stones and find the right one for me.

(Victor Canera makes custom jewelry, but he will not do repairs to your current jewelry. You need a regular bench jeweler who does repairs.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TrueBlue|1397732185|3654891 said:

Some people have that on there when they first join. There's a box somewhere that needs to be unchecked on the profile somewhere!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

London, I live near LA and after hunting around locally for about 8 weeks, also realized I wouldn't be able to locate the quality I was after easily in the area. Every vendor I went to spoke to me as if I knew nothing and tried to push sub-par stones on me. Luckily I had already been doing quite a bit of reading, like you, and was able to discern the difference between what I had seen online and what most have in stock. I'm sure there must be some legit diamond vendors out here - I just didn't find any. The reality is online vendors are more competitive and have access to more and better stones. Many of them will let you see the stone before you buy (keep) it.

But I agree, for the investment you're about to make, a weekend trip to NY sounds like not just a great idea - but quite the adventure! :devil:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SandyinAnaheim|1397749826|3655000 said:
London, I live near LA and after hunting around locally for about 8 weeks, also realized I wouldn't be able to locate the quality I was after easily in the area. Every vendor I went to spoke to me as if I knew nothing and tried to push sub-par stones on me. Luckily I had already been doing quite a bit of reading, like you, and was able to discern the difference between what I had seen online and what most have in stock. I'm sure there must be some legit diamond vendors out here - I just didn't find any. The reality is online vendors are more competitive and have access to more and better stones. Many of them will let you see the stone before you buy (keep) it.

But I agree, for the investment you're about to make, a weekend trip to NY sounds like not just a great idea - but quite the adventure! :devil:

I don't think it is about diamond vendors being "legit" or not.
I think the problem is there are two markets, cut-informed and cut-uninformed.
99.23% of diamond shoppers are cut-uinformed.
99.23% of diamond vendors carry what the cut-uninformed customers want, so they are legit diamond vendors.
(Number made up.) :bigsmile:

You are cut-informed, so you are shopping for what few diamond vendors carry.
This is why limiting your search to one geographic location is bad.

The Internet has cut-educated you and the Internet is also the "place" to find these needles in the haystack.

To the OP … don't lose faith, just stop expecting to find a Lexus at your local Dodge dealer.

London

Shiny_Rock

TrueBlue|1397732185|3654891 said:

just realized it says trade next to my name! Unfortunately not trade. Not sure how that happened... hmmm

edit: k, all better :)

London

Shiny_Rock

Thank you again for everyone's responses. This is a great online community :)

Yes I think I'm going to get in touch with GOG and start the process. Excited to see what they will pull up for me.
Has anyone personally been to the store?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

couchpotato|1397720268|3654877 said:
madelise|1397714781|3654860 said:

or

@madelise Did your appraiser in culver city determine the value of the diamond is equal to, lower, or higher than your purchased price from GOG?

Did anyone else have the diamond independently appraised with a value equal to, lower, or higher than the purchased price from GOG?

I began my e-ring search not long ago and read several reviews recommending GOG. But, their prices are a bit higher than other online vendors and I was wondering if the appraised value is at least equal to the purchase price from GOG. TIA

Roughly about my purchase price, and just slightly higher so that I wouldn't have to get it reappraised for the next 5 years for insurance purposes.

What does that matter? I hope you're not blind sighted by that BS people feed of "appraises for twice your paid value" crap. You want it to appraise for the actual value.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock

does this mean none of the jewelers in downtown LA's jewelry district are reputable or worth purchasing from?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

I don't know about that. I obviously have not been to every jeweler in LA. But none of the ones I went to that were recommended by friends, Yelp or various other reviews came close to having what I wanted. Further, none interacted with me as if I knew anything about diamonds. If I said I wanted a spceific color range, they tried to talk me into what they had. When I asked for specific clarity, I was told I didn't know what I was asking for and was explained why I2 was as good as VS2. Whenasking for AGS, I was told EGL was better. Bad experience and total waste of time for me.

London

Shiny_Rock

SandyinAnaheim|1398046067|3656848 said:
I don't know about that. I obviously have not been to every jeweler in LA. But none of the ones I went to that were recommended by friends, Yelp or various other reviews came close to having what I wanted. Further, none interacted with me as if I knew anything about diamonds. If I said I wanted a spceific color range, they tried to talk me into what they had. When I asked for specific clarity, I was told I didn't know what I was asking for and was explained why I2 was as good as VS2. Whenasking for AGS, I was told EGL was better. Bad experience and total waste of time for me.

I'm over it. Went to Dtown LA over the weekend and it's a joke. Most diamond dealers down there think you dont know anything and as soon as they get wind that you know anything about diamonds they want nothing to do with you. I am completely turned off by the whole experience.

Edit to say: I guess it comes down to buyer be ware as it is with anything. Not all were bad but really you should be educated because they will know if you are not.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did you email Victor and Grace? I think I remember reading she is about to get in some modern brilliants but I am not sure if they will be what you are after size wise, and Victor is always lovely, he has a showroom in LA that you can go and visit. Email Jon as well, they will do everything via email and the phone and give great service too. I also want to add there are no "seems too good to be true bargains" or shortcuts when you are buying a diamond. Below are links to the contact pages of all three....

http://www.victorcanera.com/contacts

https://betastore.gostorego.com/contacts/?SID=

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ContactUs/

yasssss

Shiny_Rock

I agree that you have to be educated before you try to deal with jewelers in LA but you can get a good stone and a pretty CAD setting for a good price. My fiance made at least half a dozen trips to the jeweler we ended up purchasing from, and he was very specific about the color, clarity and certification he wanted (GIA or bust!). At first they tried to sell him subpar stones from their inventory, but after tons of research and calls, my fiance had picked out a stone he wanted online and had the jeweler order it in for him. he also custom designed the setting and there was a lot of back and forth on that. in the end though, i think my fiance got exactly what he (and I :twirl: ) wanted but it took a lot of work on his part and basically the jeweler just did everything my fiance wanted. i wouldnt recommend the jeweler because he ended up being kind of difficult, but we did love our purchase and my fiance feels like he saved a good deal of money. We are fairly local so while the process took a few months and a lot of trips to LA, it seems as if it was worth it. You just need a lot of patience and need to press them a bit. (and only deal with jewelers that are upstairs!) Even after delving into and spending hours on end studying Pricescope (even more after the purchase than before lol), I'm still happy with our purchase. I have attached photos of my ring . haven't taken any pictures in the sunlight yet but it has AMAZING sparkle! 20140328_135605-1.jpg img_0332__1_.jpg

London

Shiny_Rock

arkieb1|1398069280|3656972 said:
Did you email Victor and Grace? I think I remember reading she is about to get in some modern brilliants but I am not sure if they will be what you are after size wise, and Victor is always lovely, he has a showroom in LA that you can go and visit. Email Jon as well, they will do everything via email and the phone and give great service too. I also want to add there are no "seems too good to be true bargains" or shortcuts when you are buying a diamond. Below are links to the contact pages of all three....

http://www.victorcanera.com/contacts

https://betastore.gostorego.com/contacts/?SID=

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ContactUs/

Thank you Arkieb. I will for sure be contacting Victor and the others. I think I will like Victors work a lot :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results