shape
carat
color
clarity

August Cushion Cut- Is L too yellow?

honor

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have been working with GOG on purchasing a August Cushion, I have never seen one in person but they have made a huge impact on me by computer.
Can anyone weigh in on the following diamond as far as measurements and color, am I going to think it looks yellow when I see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS4TuvB5dtw

stats:
Shape: August Cushion
Carat Weight: 1.73ct
Color: L
Clarity: VS1
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: August Vintage
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: Very large
Width: 6.87mm
Length: 7.50mm
Depth: 4.65mm
Table Percentage: 48.40%
Depth Percentage: 67.60%

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at my pix on the left I have a "K" VS2 1.33 AVC and I love it. love it love it.

this is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRJGAT21Es#t=31

info from GOG:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10813/

I am so happy with this stone I am thinking of resetting it into a ring! (it's in a pendant now).. I can't imagine there is much of a difference between a K and a L... you can only see ANY tint upside down.

they are not the cheapest stone on the block (cushion block) but by far, they are the most stunning and beautiful.

best of luck.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
My OEC is an L, its looks creamy from some angles but face up white you can see my pics, and you will i have it with my diamond band that has e-f VS1 diamonds and my L looks white!!! I love my L. :D

img_4350.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether you see colour on not, depends on your eyes' sensitivity.
Whether you like the colour you see (or don't see) is personal tolerance.
So whether you think an L is too yellow depends on the two conditions above.

I have an AVC with almost the same stats as yours (size, colour, clarity, etc). Is it white-white? Definitely not. Depending on the light, it is off-white or creamy (antique) white from the top. It looks warmer when set in 18K YG, whiter in 14K WG.

honor

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input, I'm just so nervous about buying a diamond that I have never seen in person. Is there a big difference with AVC vs. a cushion brilliant? Thanks!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
And don't forget diamonds can appear to be different colours, depending on the light. The further down the colour spectrum they are, the more different the colours can be. Not all Ls are created equal - some are more yellow, some are more silver or "cape" leaning, some are more brown - some pinky brown, some more champagne. So just because you are looking at an L, it doesn't mean it will be a yellow L.

My OEC is an L. In some light it looks lovely and bright white. In some lights it looks like a soft ecru. In other lights, from the side, you can see a fair amount of yellow. On cloudy days I tend to see more champagne.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/happily-ever-after-my-4ct-oec-from-jbeg.195617/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/happily-ever-after-my-4ct-oec-from-jbeg.195617/[/URL]

Chrono is correct. Some people can see more colour in diamonds than others. And it bothers some people more than others. Me? I love lower coloured diamonds and vintage styles so the L is perfect for me. Antique diamonds also tend to show a little less colour than modern cuts. Most people think my diamonds is a higher colour than it really is.

Can you go and see some lower colours in person? Also don't forget that because the AVC/AVR range is cut for light performance, you will likely have a lot more brightness in the stone, making the diamond appear brighter and whiter.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
misskittycat|1397188975|3651604 said:
And don't forget diamonds can appear to be different colours, depending on the light. The further down the colour spectrum they are, the more different the colours can be. Not all Ls are created equal - some are more yellow, some are more silver or "cape" leaning, some are more brown - some pinky brown, some more champagne. So just because you are looking at an L, it doesn't mean it will be a yellow L.

My OEC is an L. In some light it looks lovely and bright white. In some lights it looks like a soft ecru. In other lights, from the side, you can see a fair amount of yellow. On cloudy days I tend to see more champagne.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/happily-ever-after-my-4ct-oec-from-jbeg.195617/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/happily-ever-after-my-4ct-oec-from-jbeg.195617/[/URL]

Chrono is correct. Some people can see more colour in diamonds than others. And it bothers some people more than others. Me? I love lower coloured diamonds and vintage styles so the L is perfect for me. Antique diamonds also tend to show a little less colour than modern cuts. Most people think my diamonds is a higher colour than it really is.

Can you go and see some lower colours in person? Also don't forget that because the AVC/AVR range is cut for light performance, you will likely have a lot more brightness in the stone, making the diamond appear brighter and whiter.
You are so right misskittycat with the antique diamonds. they change in every light :D

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think L is a color you have to see to decide. L is tinted and some like the tint while others don't.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
A L typically will not look white white. There will be lighting conditions where you see color especially when it is set with side stones.

I think the tint is very obvious ... I only can't see it if I am indoors in a dark / poorly lit room.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think an L would be lovely in an old cut, I would not hesitate to enjoy it. I had an K in my possession for a while - a transitional cut. I thought it was stunning and personally saw white top down and a little bit of creamy cast from the side. The diamond in question will act more like a mirror to light and colors in the room, so you may notice it much less with the big facets than you would a modern brilliant. In a modern brilliant, I would not care for a low color. In an antique/modern antique, I would desire it.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the poster above. The diamond will likely be beautiful and perform wonderfully. I would simply consider your plans for side stones, melee, and bands you intend to wear with it. I have noticed some find the contrast difficult to reconcile even while they love the warmer stone itself.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
only you can decide with your own eyes and mind if it's too yellow for YOU :razz:

can you visit or buy it and return if it is too yellow?

edited to add - I was so flexible with color i got very tempted by a certain 5ct OEC Jonathon has/had that was like a wxyz-ish. maybe he doesn't have it anymore cos i can't see it on the website. the cutting was amazeballs. and the potential to have a 5 carater only a bit above my budget oh my lordy was i getting excited. but my partner indulged my fantasies for about 5 minutes and then said dude... thats way too yellow. and he was right. if i was just gonna have it in my toy box to play with I'd have it in a heart beat but as an e ring i knew he wouldn't be happy and I wouldn't be happy long term. His mother would have been extremely unhappy! everyone is different

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1397154102|3651278 said:
Whether you see colour on not, depends on your eyes' sensitivity.
Whether you like the colour you see (or don't see) is personal tolerance.
So whether you think an L is too yellow depends on the two conditions above.

I have an AVC with almost the same stats as yours (size, colour, clarity, etc). Is it white-white? Definitely not. Depending on the light, it is off-white or creamy (antique) white from the top. It looks warmer when set in 18K YG, whiter in 14K WG.

I completely agree and although I'm sure that there are some lovely L stones out there, it's a personal preference and I would not care for one.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By Honor: my 'K' AVC shows no color.. it's beautiful white, if it's taken out of it's pendant and it is upside down it has a buttery view from the side.. but right side up.. it's white.. I suppose if I put it next to an DEF say it would look 'tinted' but I have it set in a 14K white gold pendant and it's perfect.. I agree with other posters that you will have to see it to believe if you want it.. buy what you want.. have you looked at modern cushions? they seem nice and are better priced.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
honor|1397149528|3651227 said:
Hello, I have been working with GOG on purchasing a August Cushion, I have never seen one in person but they have made a huge impact on me by computer.
Can anyone weigh in on the following diamond as far as measurements and color, am I going to think it looks yellow when I see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS4TuvB5dtw

OP - I am inclined to think that, yes, you will think it is yellow when you see it - L on the diamond color scale is actually "faint yellow" and it is unlikely you will confuse it for a colorless or a near-colorless diamond - that said, AVCs are beautifully cut and you may well love the L color AVC. I would recommend having it sent to you loose so you can take a look at it in the lighting environments you will most be wearing it - and keep in mind once set (depending on design and metal color), the face-up color may well lighten up, comparatively speaking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had an August Vintage Cushion in L and M color in my hands, and yes, they have a little tint. I would equate it to something like gingerale. They are incredibly beautiful! I would go for an L especially if I were putting it into an antique style setting.

The biggest advantages of an AVC over an antique cushion is that they are cut to have great light performance and they will usually face up larger. Your video showed that well. That two carat G cushion was visibly smaller than the 1.7 AVC!!!!

I honestly would not really want a high color in an AVC. I'd prefer something in the I-J-K-L range. My e-ring is an AVR (round) in I color, and I do prefer H-I color in those.

Here is my thread with some pictures that I think will help you. The solitaire e-ring on top has a G color diamond. The more rectangular AVC is M color and the more square one is L color.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/[/URL]

img_4358.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to see it to know. Have it shipped to you loose first, and make up your own mind. My old cut is in the K range and I love it. I did own an M color AVC for a while and for me it was more tinted than I wanted. You can only know how you feel in person.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1397231965|3651805 said:
The biggest advantages of an AVC over an antique cushion is that they are cut to have great light performance and they will usually face up larger. Your video showed that well. That two carat G cushion was visibly smaller than the 1.7 AVC!!!!

I just have to concur - I see this a lot and find it one of the less promoted aspects of the AVCs - they do tend to face up larger. And the light performance is of course amazing. I like warmer stones and don't really care for modern brilliants, but that's a subjective matter of taste.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honor, I agree with pp's who say you have to see it in person - even in this thread there are varying responses, and it really does come down to personal preference. Everybody's color tolerance is different. Going by the responses, it sounds like you will see a bit of tint and only you can decide if you're ok with it. DS's pic is really helpful. I agree with having it sent unset so you can check it out for yourself.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1397231965|3651805 said:
I have had an August Vintage Cushion in L and M color in my hands, and yes, they have a little tint. I would equate it to something like gingerale. They are incredibly beautiful! I would go for an L especially if I were putting it into an antique style setting.

I honestly would not really want a high color in an AVC. I'd prefer something in the I-J-K-L range. My e-ring is an AVR (round) in I color, and I do prefer H-I color in those.

Here is my thread with some pictures that I think will help you. The solitaire e-ring on top has a G color diamond. The more rectangular AVC is M color and the more square one is L color.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/[/URL]

Some of the posts in this thread have got me curious - are there really people who can't "see" color in a diamond or is it just that there are people who don't care about color and choose to ignore it? The picture posted in this post by diamondseeker2006 is a great example and to me, the color differences are extremely obvious. I would be curious to know if anyone would look at that picture and genuinely not have the ability to see the differences in color?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I see a pronounced difference between the colors, Momhappy. I think some of us actually like the warmer color. When I was 20, I tried red wine and thought it was too harsh and dry and always liked a sweet white. At 49, I enjoy red much more than white. I have a completely different experience with the same glass of wine. Pretty sure my tastes have changed...not the flavors in the wine.

So...truly, I think some here (myself at least) appreciate the warmer stones as equal in desirability to the whiter ones. It is a different look, and authentic in an antique.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer warmer stones unset. I don't like to see them next to whiter diamonds, though. My diamond is an L, which I wasn't planning when I was looking (and when I was envisioning a ring), so I have changed my mind totally about the kind of setting that I want it to be in. That's something to think about.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
moneymeister|1397241924|3651894 said:
I see a pronounced difference between the colors, Momhappy. I think some of us actually like the warmer color. When I was 20, I tried red wine and thought it was too harsh and dry and always liked a sweet white. At 49, I enjoy red much more than white. I have a completely different experience with the same glass of wine. Pretty sure my tastes have changed...not the flavors in the wine.

So...truly, I think some here (myself at least) appreciate the warmer stones as equal in desirability to the whiter ones. It is a different look, and authentic in an antique.

I wasn't necessarily making a judgement call about one color or another. I just find it sort of interesting to think that some people might have the ability to discern more color in a diamond than others.
I understand your wine analogy - many of us start with Riesling-type wines and work our way "up" from there :lol: In this case, though, typically lower-colored diamonds are more expensive, so while your personal taste has changed in regards to diamond color preference, diamond value (in terms of color) remains fairly constant. I should add that I know very little about diamonds - and even less about antique diamonds, so I could be way off-base on this.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I can see the colour difference but it doesn't bother me. In fact, in older diamonds I prefer lower colours.

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.58 carat G color AVC and I love the ICY color, it blows my mind every time I look at it. The faceting design of these AVCs are truly works of art :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an L and two M's and I love them. Would never go higher in an old cut.

honor

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge, links and experiences. So helpful!
In my heart to heart I just don't think I can have a L stone. I think I/J might be my lowest and it seems that I will have to open up my search to other types of cushions, does anyone have a suggestion for cushions that are not crushed ice looking that are lower in price with great optics?
Ultimately, I like the sophia setting with the french cut diamond on the side, so beautiful!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As we already said, if you go with other type cushions, they may not face up as large as an AVC, so you may have to go larger in another type of antique cushion. I would ask Jon if he has any others coming in.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great that you are looking at the measurements instead of weight!

You have good taste in settings, although those are also expensive ones! I unfortunately like expensive ones, too! I think the only thing you are going to run into is that those rings had 2.6-3 ct center AVC stones, so I am not sure how either setting will look with stones that are much smaller. I think there is an AV thread around here, so that might show you some additional size diamonds in various settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results