shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP: medium blue on an emerald G VS2?

cl21

Rough_Rock
I have been searching for the perfect emerald for a few weeks...
just really like L/W ratio to be around 1.42-1.44....

Do you think if the inclusions on the table of this VS2 would be visible under naked eyes? Would the medium blue fluoro be a problem??
I love the bluish effect that shows in round brilliance...just not sure about emerald...
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4466875-1.65-carat-Emerald-diamond-G-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

Any advice would be appreciated...

Attachments

• gia5156969165_g_vs2.pdf
    446.3 KB · Views: 34

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You aren't shopping right.

You have buy shop by images for faceting and an ASET for light return.

That stone could be gorgeous. It could be a dog.

You can't shop by numbers. And certificates don't provide enough information.

Shop at Good Old Gold or James Allen or other sites that post actual pictures of the stones.

cl21

Rough_Rock
I have been searching a lot...a lot of websites for the one EC...
even real imagery are not reliable...it's always good to see the stone in person...
But for this one....I can't find a way to see it :( that's why I rely on numbers...a compromise from online shopping for diamonds...

cl21

Rough_Rock
JA & good old gold...whiteflash...Blue Nile...none of them have what I want....

F or G (prefer not to go above F), VS2+ (VVS2 preferred, VS1 or VVS1 also works)
L/W ratio: 1.42-1.44.
excellent cut.
Table: roughly 62-66%
Depth: roughly 64-68%
* ideally, table % smaller than depth %
carat: 1.57 - 1.66 ct

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's what you need to shop for.

Depth: under 70.
Table is flexible smaller than the depth is best and preferably under 66, there are exceptions. But crown height matters more. That's not found on a lab report. You need a sarin or images of the stones from the profile. You restricting it to where you had it was just flat wrong. You can go larger with your table as long as your crown height is over 11%.

You carat weight requirements are also silly. You shop fancies by spread not carat weight. That means you shop by measurements not weight. Two emeralds... One that is 1.6 and one that is 1.4 -- the 1.4 can easily look larger than then 1.6 dependent on all the measurements.

You need to understand what an ASET image is and be able to read one. And you need to shop at vendors that provide them. And you need to know what a properly faceted EC looks like and what an improperly faceted one looks like.

Your length to width ratio is a personal preference but it is restricting your selections too far. And frankly a lot of longer thinner emeralds have performance issues. I would stick to 1.37 and above.

You should not have a clarity preference. As long as the stone is VS2 and eyeclean or better, clarity is irrelevant. You cannot tell an IF from a VS2.

As for color. It is a preference but you are being a bit unnecessarily restrictive there too. H or better is white.

cl21

Rough_Rock
what about medium blue fluoro?

it's hard to find vendors that can provide ASET...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cl21|1397127878|3651072 said:
it's hard to find vendors that can provide ASET...

If you want a well cut and sparkly EC, you have little choice other than to stick with vendors who can provide an ASET. Going by the numbers is a start of sorts but doesn't guarantee a high performing EC. I've seen many dud ECs that fall into the specifications you listed. Sure, I love ECs with table and depth under 65% but it is all about how the other angles (which are not listed on the GIA report) work together. Unless you have time on your side up to 1 year or more to look for the perfect stone where everything falls into the specifications you listed AND is a high performer, I second the suggested Gypsy listed.

ASET is one of the tools I like, preferably with a video of the EC as well.

The problem with ordering ECs one by one sight unseen and only by stats alone, hoping to score a good one eventually, is that unless you've seen tens to hundreds of ECs, ranging from poor to well cut, how do you know if the one you are looking at is an average cut or a well cut EC? You have no basis for comparison. By having doing your homework upfront via video and ASET, you've increased your chances of a great performing EC significantly.

cl21

Rough_Rock
I would have not relied on those numbers if ASET/ideal scope is available....most online vendors only provide ASET to RB....
i know crown height is important but with only GIA cert there's not way to tell...EGL israel shows that though...
thank you both for your advice...but still don't how does medium blue affect an EC with G VS2....@_@

cl21

Rough_Rock
I know some 1.5ct would have larger measurements and bigger table %, which makes them look bigger than an 1.6ct...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What Gypsy and I are trying to tell you is to forget about this one. I really cannot recommend this EC at all without even an ASET, much less a video or picture. Even if you looked at it and posted pictures, how can anyone tell you whether it is well cut or a dud because:
1. Are you confident in evaluating cut in ECs and categorizing the cut?
2. Most people take lousy pictures so I expect it will be difficult to evaluate cut from most people's pictures.

Save your money on the shipping and return and persist in purchasing from vendors who provide an ASET. The 2 vendors Gypsy suggested, GOG and JA provide ASETs. GOG and JA will show pictures and video that allows you to gauge the crown height. As of now, you have more important things to consider rather than MB fluoro.

ETA
Larger table does not equate to a larger measurement. It is a combination of depth percentage (and crown height), ratio, girdle thickness and other variables. For me, cut is my top most priority so I am willing to accept a slightly deeper stone IF the cut is fantastic.

cl21

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1397137037|3651117 said:

I started from Ritani at the beginning of the search...because they offers free preview...
but now they won't sell the diamond to me as they can't pricematch with another vendor...what they doing right now is keeping the diamond off the radar so no one has access to it....sigh

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, that stone may belong to them...it happens.

I had to switch computers to get to JA site. Here are some JA stones. What is your budget?

Here is the most beautiful stone I found at JA sort of meeting your specs...
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.57-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-277745 very white/bright

others that might have potential...
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-231168

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-213650 might have too much contrast.
At one angle all facets are shutting off at once.
Same with following stone but may still be nice stones.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-212174

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cl21|1397137260|3651118 said:

I started from Ritani at the beginning of the search...because they offers free preview...
but now they won't sell the diamond to me as they can't pricematch with another vendor...what they doing right now is keeping the diamond off the radar so no one has access to it....sigh

Whats the price difference ? Can you give us a link to the stone?

fritzi

Rough_Rock
If you ultimately choose an EC with blue fluorescence, it will still be beautiful. I have an asscher with strong blue fluorescence and it is amazing. The fluorescence will not likely hinder the beauty of the diamond but it is a personal preference.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cl21|1397127878|3651072 said:
what about medium blue fluoro?

From an appearance perspective it won't have much effect (unless your are in a dark room with a black light). The issues that concern people about fluorescence derive from those rare cases where it affects transparency (but that only happens with stronger intensity levels), and a concern that fluorescence leads to over grading of color at the lab. Because of these concerns there is a general bias against fluorescence in the market, especially in the higher colors. That can be a two edged sword in the sense that it might enable you to get a better price, but it also makes it a little more challenging to get a strong price if you ever want to re-sell it.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cl21|1397100338|3650938 said:
Do you think if the inclusions on the table of this VS2 would be visible under naked eyes?

Because the grade-setting inclusion is a cloud (listed first under keys to symbols), it is likely to be eye clean. However, in larger stones VS2 can be visible to the naked eye, especially in emerald cuts and when located under the table. If this one is technically eye visible, it is likely not to detract in any significant way from beauty.

cl21

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1397138333|3651126 said:
cl21|1397137260|3651118 said:

Whats the price difference ? Can you give us a link to the stone?

the diff is 2k+...but i'm a bit skeptical about the 20% difference...though the vendor told me it is exactly the same stone...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results