shape
carat
color
clarity

Yesterday daughter #2 totaled her car...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank God she is fine and didn't needed to go to the hospital.

here is the dilemma... :bigsmile:.. if I buy daughter #2 a new car then daughter #1 will most likely be jealous, so IYO, what should I do?... :confused: buy her a used car of the same value as the one she just totaled? we do have an extra car but IDK if I wanted her to drive my truck.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad she's unhurt. Were there any other cars, passengers, etc. or involved in the accident?

Is this your unemployed/underemployed daughter?

And by "new car," I assume you mean a used replacement car?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad she's okay.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank goodness she is OK Dancing Fire!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad to hear your daughter's okay, DF.

I wouldn't worry about always being 100% equal with your kids. (Worded poorly but you know what I mean.) So daughter #1 is jealous...okay, let her be. You don't need to do anything about it. I don't see this as a problem.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Glad she's safe i was worried when i saw the title

I have a friend who has totalled 3 cars now (not kidding) and his absentee father buys him a brand new one every time. he loves it. brags about what new car he's gonna have. He had every opportunity in life and had everything handed to him on a silver platter. now at 26 he makes coffee part-time.

So i wouldn't personally reward her with a new car. even if she was 100% innocent. I'd get her an equal value car or let her borrow a family car until she can buy her own. if you don't want to let her drive your truck could you shuffle cars and let her drive something else?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Awfully glad she's okay, DF, & I gather nobody else hurt.

My cousin totaled his car & they bought him another, which he quickly put upside down in a ditch -- then framed the newspaper photos of it. He was incredibly lucky not to be a carcass. After that he was carless until he could buy his own. Might be something to think about.

Whether the 2 girls get exactly equal stuff is of no importance. Hope I'm not being too blunt. ;-)

--- Laurie

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Glad everyone is OK!

Regarding a new car..will the insurance payout be enough to buy a decent used car (decent as in safe)? If so, why doesn't she research cars that she can afford using her insurance and then the two of you can go shopping?

About half of my friends lost their cars when Toronto flooded last year. All of them are late twenties, working, responsible. For the most part they bought themselves replacement vehicles using the insurance payouts.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi|1397125525|3651069 said:
Glad she's safe i was worried when i saw the title

I have a friend who has totalled 3 cars now (not kidding) and his absentee father buys him a brand new one every time. he loves it. brags about what new car he's gonna have. He had every opportunity in life and had everything handed to him on a silver platter. now at 26 he makes coffee part-time.

So i wouldn't personally reward her with a new car. even if she was 100% innocent. I'd get her an equal value car or let her borrow a family car until she can buy her own. if you don't want to let her drive your truck could you shuffle cars and let her drive something else?

This was my thinking as well. I've got a cousin who did this sort of thing with cars. It may suck to have your kid needing something and not giving it to them, but this is a very important lesson she needs to learn. One day she may do this again and not be as lucky...

I like Chemgirl's suggestion -- She gets to buy a used car with whatever the insurance gives her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF,
Unless you bought DD1 a car, to be fair to both, you should not purchase DD2 a replacement car. :tongue: On a more serious note, I'm glad your daughter is fine.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, a bus pass is much cheaper :cheeky:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad she is ok!!

I say buy what you can with the insurance.

My stepdaughter recently totaled hers. We did add about $1,200 into the pot but we used the insurance money to set shopping parameters. The taxes, tag and title fees were why we chipped in...but the car was the same value as the check.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you bought them both their first cars and she totaled hers, she should be on the hook for her replacement. I am glad she's ok.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1397143947|3651168 said:
If you bought them both their first cars and she totaled hers, she should be on the hook for her replacement. I am glad she's ok.

while I agree with ame, I am very glad she is ok!

however, will she be ticketed "at fault"?

she should get a beater car as a replacement....might motivate her to get a better part time job to start supporting herself.

will your insurance go up as a result? will she make up that cost?

perhaps DD#1 will settle for a cash equivalent gift if you do buy DD#2 another car.

you already know you're going to take care of this for her so I'm not sure what the real question is........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1397146714|3651197 said:
you already know you're going to take care of this for her so I'm not sure what the real question is........

I think DF just wants to get the ladies all huffing and puffing over nothing. :devil: :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Give her the insurance money and make her buy her own car... with your help of course but not adding a penny to the pot.
Then tell daughter #1 to grow up if she is jealous.
I dunno why you ask, we all know they have you wrapped around their pinkies and you will buy both brand new cars then complain about it on here.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1397115056|3651026 said:
I'm glad she's unhurt. Were there any other cars, passengers, etc. or involved in the accident?

Is this your unemployed/underemployed daughter?

And by "new car," I assume you mean a used replacement car?

No other cars, passengers involved in the accident. she lost control of the car when she tried to avoid some objects on the road then hit a tree.

she works about 15 hrs per week while attending school.

Yes, a nice used replacement car like her 2007 Civic would be great but they are hard to find at a reasonable price.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
so, you've already talked yourself into it is going to be work for you to find a replacement.........
loan her your truck until the task is completed....that will motivate you!

and craigslist is your friend.....I've bought two Hondas that way.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1397146714|3651197 said:
ame|1397143947|3651168 said:

No I'm not!... :nono: she already got her Obama phone, and now I told her to wait for an Obama car.. :tongue:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad she's ok DF!!! Storm gave great advice. That's what I would do.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1397149702|3651229 said:
so, you've already talked yourself into it is going to be work for you to find a replacement.........
loan her your truck until the task is completed....that will motivate you!

and craigslist is your friend.....I've bought two Hondas that way.
I did that last night, but what I have notice was that 90% of Craigslist cars in our area have salvage titles.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1397149325|3651226 said:
Yes, a nice used replacement car like her 2007 Civic would be great but they are hard to find at a reasonable price.

Actually, high resale value for Hondas is justified by reasons.
The resale value of all makes, high or low, is justified by reasons.

On another note, while unfortunate, I think an accident is a profound learning experience for any driver.
IMO it really drives home, on a gut level, that you are seconds away from possible injury or death and makes you a better driver.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1397151010|3651241 said:
Glad she's ok DF!!! Storm gave great advice. That's what I would do.

+1

What does a salvaged title mean?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I believe your children are in their middle to late 20's. Same as my oldest son who also totalled his car around the same age. My opinion, it is time your girls grow up a little and stop looking to daddy to make everything all better. A new car - nope. Old car - nope. Maybe match dollar for dollar with whatever SHE can afford.

I have 3 children, 2 of which are 15 months apart. It is impossible to treat each kid exactly the same because they are not. Your job at this point is to make each one independent, which means letting them figure things out on their own.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Could you buy DD1 a new car and give DD2 the car DD1 uses? :razz:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1397147770|3651210 said:
Give her the insurance money and make her buy her own car... with your help of course but not adding a penny to the pot.
Then tell daughter #1 to grow up if she is jealous.
I dunno why you ask, we all know they have you wrapped around their pinkies and you will buy both brand new cars then complain about it on here.
That's what we decided to do with help from her bf.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1397137893|3651120 said:
DF,
Unless you bought DD1 a car, to be fair to both, you should not purchase DD2 a replacement car. :tongue: On a more serious note, I'm glad your daughter is fine.
Yep, pocket the insurance money and buy myself a diamond... :naughty:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my first car at 19 title and loan all in my own name. I had my own insurance too. All while going to college full time and working full time. This was less than 10 years ago. Seems like your girls could both use a push. Out the door.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
does she now realize that she might have needed health insurance, DF?
that perhaps she really should purchase it?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My brother and SIL had a salvaged title car that served them well for years. The trick is to have a good mechanic look it over before you buy. I think the key here is to remember that your daughter needs equally effective transportation, not a 2007 or better Honda. She should be able to get something reasonable with the insurance payout for a 2007 Honda.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results