shape
carat
color
clarity

My journey to find THE ONE OEC ! OWD 1.97 F color

phale

Shiny_Rock
***Please scroll down to 2nd post for pics :)

My first e-ring was a 0.4ish brownish pink diamond and I wore it for 4 years. The color was lovely but the diamond did not sparkle. Later I found out that it had I1 clarity due to many feathers, so maybe that's why it did not have good light performance. I didn't know about PS then.

Last year I started to look for my upgrade. I saw several "OECs" thread but I was not curious enough to click on them. I bought 2 MRBs and I returned both . Somehow they just didn't feel right. One day I clicked on a OEC thread and the rest was history!

I looked at ALL OEC's threads. I bought my first OEC, a 2ish ct L color EGL from my local jeweler. I had it for 2 days and I didn't love it for no apparent reason. Now I know that it had darkness under the table and not crisp facet pattern. Here is a pic:

p7015359.jpg

Since I didn't know what is not right about that diamond, I thought it's best to buy an AVR since sparkle, glitter, twinkle, flicker (you got the idea :)...are very important to me. The AVR's faceting was very pleasing to my eyes. But I returned it because I knew myself. If I had kept the AVR, I would always wonder about a true antique OEC.

So along the way, I bought and return countless of stones and some I didn't take pictures. I returned this one below and at that time, I really didn't know why it didn't sing to me. I know now I loved its big chunky prominent bezel facets but the facets under the table were not very organized to me.

236-1.jpg

I joined the 7-8mm search club and that's the best thing that I did during my search. This stone (and the one above) came up in a discussion. I bought it and when I saw it for the first time :"it's yellow!!! and I love it". It's a L color GIA. The facets under table were not flowery but it twinkled crazy. And most important, the faceting was very crisp! Here is a pic:

3_109.jpg

I wore it for a few months. Then the tint of the stone started to plant a seed of doubt in my head. I knew that I needed to look for another one. From joining the search group and see others' journeys (almondblossom, gemfever, lightbright, nowicanseethemoon, starsparkle, valmine, etc), I felt pretty confident in what to look for next. JBEG and OWD didn't have in their inventory at that time the specs I was looking for. I contacted all vendors, ebay sellers, antique stores, pawn shops. What so frustrating was that they didn't get the "faceting" thing. They would send me stones within my specs and it's my problem that the stones did not have the faceting. I was told all OECs cut in the 1920's looked the same. I outlined and emailed them the faceting that I was seeking (picture from GemFever and JBEG)

unnamed_2.jpg

Then I was told all OECs had the stars and the flowers if looking at the right directions. From that point I knew that I didn't only need vendors/sellers that had stones but ones that had eyes for old cuts' facet patterns. My DH kinda gave me an ultimatum. I felt that he wanted me to find something soon so that I would not spend all my time everyday looking. I emailed Adam at OWD again. I reiterated my specs and that color didn't have to be H, I-J could work. No answer for a 5 days. On the 6th day, he wrote back and asked if I was still looking. I replied yes and he said "Just for the fun of it, I have the most stunning...".

I asked for 1.3-1.5 ct and he gave me a 1.97
I asked for a H-I-J color and he gave me a F GIA
However she is an I1 clarity. My search criteria for clarity was VS. But as Adam said and looking at the GIA report, all the inclusions are at one spot off to the girdle, bezel or prong setting can easily cover them. K_darling is such a sweetheart that she even went see the stone for me. With her approval, I purchased the stone. Adam went above and beyond, he offered the stone close to my budget, shipped and paid for all the shipping. He shipped the stone first so I could see it. Then I shipped the stone and my Phillip Press setting back so his jeweler could set and resize it. All free of charge to me! (I've gotten a really good price on the stone already)

My impression of working with Adam is that he is very very very busy. But he does care for his customers and he knows and understand the "faceting" thing. I've worked with several PS's vendors and some I feel like they are dealing with me as business, very polite and distant. I think Adam understands how "crazy" old cut lovers are and despite "crazy" requests and demands, he genuinely care and look after our best interests.

BIG SHOUT OUT to all the lovely ladies of the search club! Thanks all for helping find the one! big puffy heart you all.

phale

Shiny_Rock
Re: My journey to find THE ONE OEC has ended! OWD 1.97 F col

So meet my beautiful I1
1.97 F I1 GIA
Phillip Press setting (Renaissance line)
size 4

1_247.jpg
the cavity at 3 o'clock

6_30.jpg

8_20.jpg

2_149.jpg

3_111.jpg

099_0.jpg

074.jpg

075_0.jpg

13_5.jpg

14_4.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a gorgeous ring/stone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring Phale! :love: We need more pics please... 8)
And I agree with your sentiments about Adam. He wants his customers to be happy and is so easy to work with.

Wear your OEC beauty in health and happiness. :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She's lovely! Congrats on your gorgeous new ring!! It sounds like you worked pretty hard to find her, so I'm glad it paid off!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone!!! Love your setting choice too :appl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your journey! Sounds like it was long but totally worth it in the end! Beautiful stone and setting, can't even tell it's I1 from your pictures...and great other specs as well!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: So glad you finally found "the one". She's beautiful and the setting is perfect!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You found a gorgeous stone and the setting looks perfect for it! Worth the wait!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pha Le, your patience really paid off! That stone is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy it, indeed--you found the One!
sarahb

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Phale, your OEC is absolutely stunning, I am so glad that you ended up with her!!!! The faceting and color are amazing, and she is such a clean I1. Truly a needle in a haystack! :love: :appl: :love:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the whole package. Its a gorgeous and understated ring, and that stone is blazing! Its really beautiful.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty!

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Stunningly beautiful! I'm so glad you two found one another.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is one beautiful stone. I too love a good F. Congratulations on sticking it out and not giving up. More pictures please!! :appl: :appl:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
It is very pretty!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! She is a lovely old gal and a beautiful cut!!!! And it IS really rare to find a genuine golden oldie that colour these days too...

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a quest for a perfect stone! Yours is gorgeous - I'm so glad that you were able to find it, and man oh man - talk about icy white!!!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I am so happy for you to have found THE ONE! That is one bright, white stone! :love: I am thrilled that Adam was able to find you something. He is fantastic about keeping people in mind when stones come in.

Gorgeous!

phale

Shiny_Rock
athenaworth Thanks! I love your collection and a yellow diamond like yours is next on my list.

missy I had a great experience with Adam as well as JBEG. I admire Bea. She looks at home on your finger.

yennyfire Thanks :) When I first joined and did not know much about antique, my draw already dropped seeing your gorgeous antique oval.

woofmama I really like this setting but I think it does not protect the cavity/feather. I was looking at semi-bezel and I came across your thread. So beautiful! I'm gathering ideas for my next reset.

pandabee The stone was really unexpected since I had never asked for SI, let alone I1. I love your pendant, really. It's a perfect size. I really want a pendant with the exact setting.

bright ice Thanks :) I usually come to your threads to see FC goodies. I looked at so many of your pics to train my eyes with FC.

kathley your diamond, all of your settings...I read your thread so many times. I love all of your settings!

phale

Shiny_Rock
sarahb Thanks so much :) I'm enjoying her and she does make me happy. I can't waittt to see your 3 stone ring!

OECsareforLovers have you found your OEC? I remember your thread and the setting fortekitty was interested in.

armywife13 :)

thecat thanks! now I can sit down and relax lol

minousbijoux I happened to find this setting on ebay about a month before buying the stone. I bought it then Adam's stone just fit the setting nicely. Everything fell on my lap and came together. It's dangerous that I'm checking CS now, I'm dreaming of a red spinel.

Fancygems Thanks! :)

kefira Thanks. My DL, SSN, all of my houses, first car...ended in number 7. When Adam sent report of the stone, 1.97ct, I kinda know. I think the stone is left intact because she is not a good candidate for being recut to MBR.

LLJsmom she is the first one that I'm so motivated to take pics lol. My Kroger has the best lighting for diamond. I'm thinking how I can take pics of her there.

phale

Shiny_Rock
lknvrb4 Thanks! Charlotte is such a happy and pretty lady in her new home :)

arkieb1 I'm still jealous that you found both Lola and Charlie.

endless_summer both my house and my car interior are beige. She looks tint sometimes. This is a pic of her taking in beige and my yellow shirt
2_150.jpg

valmanin to make it easier, I told Adam your stone's faceting was what I looked for :D. I'm a little sad that I cant use your setting. I love it day one and maybe a red spinel will work ;-)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Everything about that ring is so dreammyyyyyyyyyy i could just float away!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Its beautiful! Love the setting and the diamond. I admire your patience! It sure paid off for you in the end though.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
how lovely she is...and it's so nice to hear about the help from kdarling and Adam-love it! congrats, enjoy!

kellc

Rough_Rock
You know I love it!! And I like reading about your super thorough search to finally get the stone you were after. (Also happy that I could benefit off your search by purchasing your previous stone :)

I think it looks so pretty in this setting that really shows off the stone.

phale

Shiny_Rock
Some more photos to show the setting better

005_18.jpg

008_5.jpg

016_5.jpg

fresh newly bloom this morning

phale

Shiny_Rock
SB621 hearing that from you means a lot to me.

iluvshinythings Thanks :)

artdecolover71 cant wait to see your ering when it's finished. I believe I'm very lucky to receive help finding her.

kellc I was not ready to part with that stone. I was thinking to put her in a pendant since I feel guilty selling her. You are the best person that she can go too. I'm so happy that she has a great new home and of course I cant wait to see your new setting :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results