shape
carat
color
clarity

Newby e-ring help

Nezzw

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I have been lurking the forums for a couple of months. All the information on here has been super helpful.

I'm in the process of choosing an e-ring but finding it overwhelming.

I came across this ring the other day when out shopping and wanted some opinions on the stone for an e-ring.

Sorry the quality isn't the best, quick phone snap.

The ring is a natural untreated blue topaz, 3.4 cts, eye clean.
The setting is 18ct white gold with 22 side diamonds, 0.33 cts, colour G. The jeweller didnt jot down the clarity of the diamonds so ill have to give her a call.
She quoted me $2395 AU.

Do you think the price given for the ring is reasonable? I think it's a little expensive.

I know Sapphires and Spinels are a lot more durable as e-rings but I haven't been able to find a blue that I really love.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

_16438.jpg

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
Personally I do think that's really expensive especially for a blue topaz. The 18k may be what has jacked it up but I'm sure you could find something a more reasonable if you keep looking :wink2:

There have been some great vendors listed on some other "colored gem" forums like gemartservices.com! I found a 9ct (huge I know) pink tourmaline for a $150 per carat which is awesome. Eyes peeled girl! :loopy:

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I too think that seems pretty expensive for a topaz.

but I suggest looking for a sapphire/spinel, because the durability part cannot be overstated. I thought I was gentle on my hands, but I've recently realised how many zips my ring can go against, or what it can bump against.. and I get scared. have you seen gemfix's blue sapphire page here http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html? he has a wide range of blues and one might suit you?

and if you're really going for a topaz, how about looking at jeff davie's page http://www.pinterest.com/jeffdaviesgems/boards/, and even considering an aquamarine? it's 7.5-8 on the mohs, so only one step below topaz at 8.

I think the setting you could get stock, like stuller or logr, and it'd go much cheaper than what this jeweller is quoting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all honesty, you're paying for the setting, as the stone isn't worth much at all, maybe $20 tops. Is the setting worth that much to you????

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think you can find something just as nice, for around the same price (but more durable), or much cheaper (with same materials).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2395 AUD = 2214 USD

Untreated blue topaz pricing:
http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_TopazBlue.php#image_493
A 2.8 ct untreated blue topaz is around $190
A 3.5 ct untreated blue topaz is around $210
Comparing pricing, if the stone is around $200, then the setting is close to $2000, which makes it quite expensive, especially compared to the sapphire below.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/184772809/17-carat-icy-blue-untreated-ceylon?ref=shop_home_active_3
1.7 ct untreated light blue sapphire in a 14K WG halo setting with 0.3 cttw of diamonds = $1700

Nezzw

Rough_Rock
Thankyou for the helpful responses.

No the setting definitely isn't worth that much to me.

Thanks for the info Chrono. I saw that ring the other day and thought it seemed reasonably priced. Im just nervous that I won't be able to see the ring in person before i purchase. There's not a lot of options locally that are reasonably priced unfortunately.
Do you think the stone is a good cut? I can see the band through the stone in the photos, is that because of the light color of the stone or the quality of the cut?
Sorry if these questions seem silly, this is all new to me.

Thanks

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
If you're able to see through a gem it is an issue with the cut.

Also if you're not able to find anything locally online shopping is great when you have the wonderful people of pricescope to help you along the way lol. :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only picture where I can see the band through the stone is when it was tilted, which is normal. I do not see the band through the sapphire when it is perpendicular to the camera.

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
Are we still talking about the topaz? That photo came up as a diamond :confused:

Nezzw

Rough_Rock
I was talking about the Sapphire that Chrono posted.

Oh really? When I click the link it shows the sapphire on Julia's hand. You have to zoom out, its on the end of her middle finger.

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
OH! :D

That is a very pretty ring, maybe she could post a video? It's hard to see all you really would like to about colored stones through photos.

Nezzw

Rough_Rock
I really like the shade of blue that is shown in the photos but it looks kind of grey in that photo. Ill ask about a video.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there is some gray in the sapphire, hence the description of ice blue sapphire. What you are seeing is a tilt window - the ring is not straight up at the camera but tilted slightly. Sounds like you are looking for a better saturated stone. Light blue and highly saturated rarely come together in a single stone. A natural untreated blue topaz will also show a lot of gray.

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
Are you looking for a blue stone in general or are you specifically wanting a sapphire or blue topaz?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results