shape
carat
color
clarity

A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (Pics)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Re: A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (P

He looks like he's moved right in to stay. LOL

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oreo was waiting by the door today when I came home. I was a bit nervous he'd try to bolt outside. He didn't. I had a nice chat with a lady at the SPCA. No cats have been reported missing that match his description, but they have all my info on file as well as a picture. If anyone happens to call looking for him, they will get in touch with me. They seemed pretty keen on having him stay put in someone's house rather than stick him in a kennel. I ran the home flea brush test and it came up 100% clean (yay!) but on Friday we will go up and down the checklist at the cat clinic with shots, flea treatments, maybe a shampoo, and a dewormer to be absolutely safe. Then at least if his family does show up he will not have suffered any consequences from the days he was outside in the woods.

I talked to SO again and made it clear that I will do my part to find out if this cat has an owner, but that if enough time goes by, he's staying. He agreed (begrudgingly). Thank you so much to the amazing people on PS who calmed my nerves about this potential new venture. I figured this cat came into our lives for a reason and I am glad we are in a position to help a little bit :appl:

Oreo thanks you all too.

_16751.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

What a beautiful/handsome cat! So happy your SO is in agreement to keep him :appl:
Black & white cats are my favorite, I once had one named Oreo :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG he is just so cute.

He's totally turning on the charm he knows exactly what he's doing. ::)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

He's such a cutie!! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

You should have a blood test panel if you plan to keep the cat in your house. Blood test for feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and/or feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV). They should do a basic exam to give you approximate age and look for signs of disease. And they should vaccinate.

Good news so far. Fingers crossed for all good things.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

He is SO cute! May I trouble you for some more pictures of is adorable spotted feet? They're so fat and cute! Those black jellybean toesies!!

When they vaccinate, request that they don't inject between the shoulder blades and along the back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine-associated_sarcoma

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

:love: He's SO cute! Fingers crossed that all goes well that he's healthy and disease free and that you get to keep him. :appl:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Maybe someone just dumped him out of a car? People do that here, all the time. Especially in a more secluded area with woods. If he was outdoors for long, I think he would have been dirtier.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's one of him and his fluffy paws! Any time he's sitting upright his paws are tucked underneath his chest so I rarely see them all at once :lol:

_16778.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not sure if this has been mentioned, however, there is a product in the UK called Feliway which is supposed to help to de-stress cats, e.g. when settling in a new home, being introduced to another cat etc...

Perhaps it may help to lessen the stress that may be experienced by the resident-cat having to share living space with a newcomer.

DK :))

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

You've been chosen!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Andelain|1397051333|3650438 said:
You've been chosen!

truth!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

Elliot86|1396913841|3649287 said:
My SO and I discussed it. We will make every effort to locate this kitty's home, as well as getting proper veterinary care in the morning. We won't be calling the shelter. If a month goes by and no one claims the kitten we will get i.d. tags made and embrace a 2 cat household.

This is the answer I would give. I'm a sucker for pets and do a lot of work to keep our almost 15 year old baby. He's in good health, has always been an indoor kitty and I know that I will be devastated when he passes.

DH knew going into this marriage that I had a big heart for animals; however, he has said that after this baby goes, we're not going to have any more pets. To me, that means that if there is no pet, there is no wife. :blackeye:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

I love that last picture you posted. Not only does he look beautiful, but look how at home, comfortable, and content he looks!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

isaku5|1397063813|3650559 said:
DH knew going into this marriage that I had a big heart for animals; however, he has said that after this baby goes, we're not going to have any more pets. To me, that means that if there is no pet, there is no wife. :blackeye:

Yeah, that would be my reaction, too. "We're not going to have any more pets." Well, laah tee daah, the King has spoken. That's pretty presumptuous of him. Personally, I think that men who don't like pets, or worse, want a woman to get rid of hers just to please him, ought to be kicked to the curb.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

A house without pets isn't a home to me. It feels sterile and cold.

I guess I just don't understand where your husband is coming from Isaku.

I mean, don't get me wrong my husband makes proclamations all the time. "6 cats is too many"... "We're never having 6 cats again"... and well, he's right. 6 cats is a lot. Especially financially since one of ours has cancer, another has crystals, and yet another has additional issues.

Vet insurance. Should have invested in it.

But aside from that. He never says we can't HAVE more pets. Just that he'd strongly prefer if we kept the number at 3 of them at one time.

But then, my DH is as big a sucker for animals as I am. From time to time he fantasizes about getting a dog (in addition to the 6 cats) and I just laugh and laugh.

I do hope your husband comes around. It would be terrible if he didn't.

Much hugs.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1397076070|3650711 said:

I mean, don't get me wrong my husband makes proclamations all the time. "6 cats is too many"... "We're never having 6 cats again"... and well, he's right. 6 cats is a lot. Especially financially since one of ours has cancer, another has crystals, and yet another has additional issues.

But aside from that. He never says we can't HAVE more pets. Just that he'd strongly prefer if we kept the number at 3 of them at one time.

But then, my DH is as big a sucker for animals as I am. From time to time he fantasizes about getting a dog (in addition to the 6 cats) and I just laugh and laugh.

Much hugs.

DH was born in Europe where animals are kept outside the house. Their illogical thinking is that disease causing germs can be transferred from the animal to a human.

What about Demmark where the barns and houses are joined? I really didn't believe it until we were in Denmark and I could actually see animals parading toward the kitchen.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have always liked cats, and I would have had a cat a lot sooner had it not been my ex-hubby saying no to pets, as I met him first before I had the chance to have a cat.

I called him my cat-substitute that did not go down too well at times! :naughty:

I got my cat after my divorce and relocated to my own house with a garden.

The dog joined us full time after my late partner's sudden death, and I decided to keep him as my own.

The house is definitely joyless and without fun when they are not about. It feels empty without them.

I forewarned my gentleman friend that it is a case of like me like my pets, and the pets are staying.

Luckily, they like him, and he likes them, phew! :D

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

isaku5|1397079902|3650755 said:
Gypsy|1397076070|3650711 said:

Much hugs.

DH was born in Europe where animals are kept outside the house. Their illogical thinking is that disease causing germs can be transferred from the animal to a human.

What about Demmark where the barns and houses are joined? I really didn't believe it until we were in Denmark and I could actually see animals parading toward the kitchen.

I did not know that about Denmark. Fascinating. :wavey:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Those paws! The coloring on that one exposed pad looks fake. SO cute.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

isaku5|1397063813|3650559 said:
Elliot86|1396913841|3649287 said:
.......DH knew going into this marriage that I had a big heart for animals; however, he has said that after this baby goes, we're not going to have any more pets. To me, that means that if there is no pet, there is no wife. :blackeye:

amen to that, sister!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I came home from work tonight and found a new litter box, scoop, bowls, cat bed, cat food, cat treats, catnip, and a collar. If we do not locate the owners the tags will be engraved and the adoption will become official. I had no idea my week would turn out like this :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elliot86|1397096374|3650893 said:
I came home from work tonight and found a new litter box, scoop, bowls, cat bed, cat food, cat treats, catnip, and a collar. If we do not locate the owners the tags will be engraved and the adoption will become official. I had no idea my week would turn out like this :lol:

OK, your SO is a Keeper!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It seems like you are doing a great job caring for him and would be happy to keep him, and he seems very comfortable in your home, but have you done all you can to see if a possible owner is looking for him? Have you checked for postings online (Craigslist, Facebook, reddit local sub-forum, neighborhood listserv or online message board) or IRL (grocery store, veterinarian offices, library, neighborhood signs)?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mary poppins|1397099342|3650923 said:
It seems like you are doing a great job caring for him and would be happy to keep him, and he seems very comfortable in your home, but have you done all you can to see if a possible owner is looking for him? Have you checked for postings online (Craigslist, Facebook, reddit local sub-forum, neighborhood listserv or online message board) or IRL (grocery store, veterinarian offices, library, neighborhood signs)?

I have done everything I was advised to do and more, including papering our neighborhood, posting on facebook, posting on craigslist, giving info and pics to the spca and local vets. Short of calling the FBI I'm not sure there is much else to be done right now?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1397100234|3650934 said:
mary poppins|1397099342|3650923 said:

I have done everything I was advised to do and more, including papering our neighborhood, posting on facebook, posting on craigslist, giving info and pics to the spca and local vets. Short of calling the FBI I'm not sure there is much else to be done right now?

That's all great! I only saw the SPCA part before, and nothing else, so I was just wondering. Maybe I missed you mentioning the other things you did. DH and I have a cat (and two before the current one, plus a dog and other pets during childhood) and would be upset if someone didn't do all the basics they could to notify the public of finding an animal. I see notices about lost pets in various places and feel bad for both the owners and the lost pets in those situations.

Oreo is lucky to have found you whether it be short term or long term.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie|1397099235|3650920 said:
Elliot86|1397096374|3650893 said:

OK, your SO is a Keeper!

Agreed! :love:

How is Oreo today? He sure does look comfy in his new environment!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SHE is doing great! At first she had no clue how to play, but now she is loving tearing apart those feather on a string toys. Caught the two kitties rolling around in catnip earlier this morning :lol: She's pretty wiped out from all the activity, but I sneaked a quick picture. I called around to all the nearby vet's offices and shelters but no one has reported a missing black and white cat. The spca is obviously totally over extended in terms of taking more "tenants" so they are happy with the current arrangement, as are we. It will be important to have her spayed sooner rather than later even though she will be exclusively indoors and our male cat is neutered. It feels like the to-do list is a mile long but we'll get there.

_16853.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Kitty chose well! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results