shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Tell Me If This Is A Good Buy!! 1.7 ct Cushion E-Ring

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock
hello everyone!

long time lurker here, finally made an account. i'm not going to go in with a long winded intro, but here's the details.

my boyfriend and i have found a ring that we both love.

the center stone:
GIA certified
1.7 carat cushion
J color
VS2 clarity

7.53mm x 6.99mm x 4.03mm (i know it's a bit shallow)

the setting:
half eternity solitaire, total of 0.25 carats
tiffany novo STYLE, white gold

can post photos of ring / cert.

it is listed as retail $11,000. original price listed was $8,500, selling because of a broken engagement.

my boyfriend is in negotiations right now. my boyfriend offered $7,800. we're waiting to hear back.

please let me know what y'all think!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please Tell Me If This Is A Good Buy!! 1.7 ct Cushion E-

With the cushion being so shallow, there's a good chance it is a leaker. Can chance of posting pictures?

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1396980890|3649872 said:
With the cushion being so shallow, there's a good chance it is a leaker. Can chance of posting pictures?

Here is a link to photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rziokmfmgxogmye/I8IkmQTWZB

GIA cert# 15314853

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=15314853&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

(i have a photo of the actual cert too, but there is light reflecting on it, so some of it is hard to read)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Crushed ice style cushion with a flat crown and large table. I don't expect a lot of fire (rainbow light return), mostly white light.

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1396982433|3649897 said:
Crushed ice style cushion with a flat crown and large table. I don't expect a lot of fire (rainbow light return), mostly white light.

would you purchase? or should we pass this one by?
and if yes, what would be the max you would go?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here's a similar stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.71-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-300149 (better cut too, probably give the stats on that other cushion).

Sp... If the person accepts the price your finance offered 7800 all you are doing is getting the setting for free.

Your diamond is spreadier because of the shallow depth.

But you said you love it. That counts for a lot.

I don't think you are getting a great deal at 7800. And I certainly wouldn't pay more. But you aren't getting totally ripped off either.

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock

here's the basics.

looking for a 1.7 - 1.9 carat cushion or radiant cut.
l/w ratio as close to 1 as possible. (the more square the better)
color is very negotiable....anything down to a J is good
clarity, do not want to go below VS2

but we know very little about the depth / table, etc.

his budget tops out at $10,000, but would prefer to stay closer to $8,000 (total for whole ring)

simple setting, like this: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-thin-french-cut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-289,,,, so that won't eat up too much of the budget.

any suggestions for a good diamond?
i like james allen because they show the actual diamond.
that was the problem we had when looking at bluenile. all the diamond photos were samples.

another point is that the ring we were looking at is a size 7. i am a size 5.5, so it will have to be sized down 1.5 sizes. i've heard that can be tricky with eternity settings.
if we bought new, it would come pre-sized.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok. So you don't buy fancies by the numbers. They are largely irrelevant. You buy from faceting and light return. That's what you need ASETs for.

See that Good Old Gold stone I posted for you? That's the information you need.

If you want the nicest stone for your budget?

Call Good Old Gold for an I-J Si1 eyeclean modern cushion 1.6 or better, great performance.

If I were shopping for a stone right now, that's what I'd be doing. Under or around 8.5k.

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock

an update:

we contacted the seller of the original ring (the day i originally posted) and let him know we were no longer interested.

we were both looking around and found a few loose stones that looked alright, but nothing (under 10k) really jumped out at us.

i went back to the website to look the original ring (just to swoon on it again) and in my searching, i could not find it, and i panicked. literally, my heart sunk. :(( :(sad i told my boyfriend and he said, "oh, shit....i was thinking about it earlier, and i thought maybe we should go with it..."

apparently though, in my hasty searching, i had accidentally clicked "VVS2" instead of "VS2" as a search parameter.

once i realized that and fixed it, the original ring i had fallen in love with was there! we contacted the seller and ended up getting him down to $7,500.
also, i got them to throw in a free insurance appraisal.

i won't be able to post photos until he officially proposes, because i have been banned from any further information. :tongue:

thank you all for your help!

i know it probably isn't THE BEST we could have gotten, but i feel like we got a good deal, we came in well below budget, and now we can use the extra money on the house!
plus, i fell in love with it, and i really realized that the minute i thought i had lost it.

:love:

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

That's awesome! Enjoy your new ring. Jenn, would you please share what website you found your ring (now that it's safely bought!)

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Jenn, that's what I thought, I've been lurking over too :D hoping to find a great deal on a great ring. I'm so glad you found your ring there or anywhere. I'm kinda torn about the inclusion of the stories of the seller's. I find them heartbreaking sometimes... :roll:

-Jenn-

Rough_Rock

luvdajules|1397252312|3652017 said:
Jenn, that's what I thought, I've been lurking over too :D hoping to find a great deal on a great ring. I'm so glad you found your ring there or anywhere. I'm kinda torn about the inclusion of the stories of the seller's. I find them heartbreaking sometimes... :roll:

thanks!
yeah some of the stories are a little off putting. like the "i hate my ex" stories. those are weird.

by the story associated with my ring (MY RING! :love: :love: ) actually made me cry.

this sentence, "This ring is too beautiful to not have a home filled with love. I hope this ring brightens someone’s life as it did mine when I proposed." :(( ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results