shape
carat
color
clarity

natural vs synthetic tsavorite

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Recently I posted the topic of whether or not anyone had knowledge of tsavorites being heat treated directly at mine site locations, undisclosed to jewelers and the general consumer. From a similar standpoint, I am curious if anyone can give me practical advice on how to discern synthetic from natural tsavorites via hand loupe, Chelsea filter and basic jewelery store microscope inspection.

I will be viewing some tsavorite stones this week that my jewelers have received and I want to ensure that I fully understand what I am looking at and mainly that I do not end up purchasing anything less than the quality I am expecting, as the stone will be used in my custom engagement ring.

Thank you to all that offer their knowledge on this topic =)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your jeweler knows that there are garnets that aren't red? Interesting. These jewelers shock me all of the time.

From what I understand, synthetic tsavorite does not exist. However, there are stones that could potentially be thought to be green garnet, but are another species or a synthetic. You can't discern anything with just a loupe, unless you are very experienced and know what you're looking for.

Do you have a problem with buying a stone from a trusted vendor over the internet? I have a hard time with local jewelers. I've found that they charge 2x-100x what you could buy the stone for directly from cutters, and that's when they actually know what they are selling.

Think about it this way, with simplified versions:

Buying from a jewelry store:
Miners>gem dealer/cutter>gem dealer/middleman>jewelry store>customer

Buying online (say, from precisiongem.com, because Gene often goes straight to the source):
Miners>cutter>customer

Everyone in those chain of events takes a cut. The customer pays for that, in the end.

http://www.collectorfinejewelry.com/buyers_guide_tsavorite.htm

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that input. I completely agree with the "gemstone food chain" concept....but I am quite leery of internet vendors at this point. I do however have some gemstone vendors that I am working with (*in addition to the basic jewelery store vendors). That said, I may consider the internet if I think I have come across a tried and true source based perhaps on pricescope forum recommendations(??).

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Synthetic 'tsavorite' may not exist, but synthetic green garnet has been around since before the Tsavo discoveries were made. Synthetic garnet, typically YAG (yttrium aluminum garnet) is used in lots of laser designs, some LEDs, and probably lots of other products you can find with a Google search. It's been hard to find as rough for a little while now, with various theories (no longer being produced, all being sold as natural, hoarded by Chinese investors) but no actual demonstrable reason that I've seen.

Regardless, it'll be challenging to separate from natural material, especially if all you've got to work with are the cut stones with great clarity your jeweler's likely to provide. Like Freke said, you're much more likely to get the real thing buying from trustworthy sources than trying to find a deal and test it yourself. As far as recommendations go, you'd probably get more directed tips with more specific criteria (size, tone, budget), but the 'Can we start a new vendor thread" sticky up top would be an excellent starting point.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no synthetic tsavorite at this point in time although that's not to say there aren't any simulants (YAG or some other green lookalike gem). A simple refractometer test will settle it quickly. Trying to determine quality though, requires more than tools. It requires a well trained eye. It requires that you can differentiate the nuances of colour, which you will not learn in a week.

A starter on what to look for when buying gemstones.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Vendors many on Pricescope have purchased from time and again.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5[/URL]

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock
Thank you for those helpful tips. ....as well as the list of reliable vendors. I had actually already contacted some of the vendors on the list prior to your posting :twirl:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Lovely as it is, Tsavorite is a poor choice for an E-ring as it does not have the durability that would allow it to stand up to daily wear.

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock
I have actually heard mixed reviews on tsavorite's durability. ...to the effect that it is far more stable than emeralds(*and many have used emeralds in engagement settings for centuries)....and that with proper care it is feasible. Granted, it is certainly below the standards of a hardy sapphire or near indestructible diamond......but I still thought it would be a reasonable choice. I would welcome other's opinions as to their perspective on tsavorite durability. ...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
A user here had a tsavorite as an ering, but she was involved in the trade in some capacity. She had her ring custom made, and took it off the minute she walked in the door, and carried a ring box around in the event that she was going to be doing something strenuous with her hands. Even with all of that care and those precautions, her stone sustained damage in the few years that she was wearing it. You can look her up, her user name was Pandora. https://www.pricescope.com/users/pandora_ii

So, it can be worn, but it will be damaged.

I would not suggest anyone use something besides a select few stones for every day wear, and even with diamond and sapphire, care should be taken. Garnet is not a stone I would wear every day, for fear of damage. I have damaged a spinel, I hate to think of what I could do with a garnet. And I wear my gems very carefully and very rarely!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, on the Mohs scale, tsavorite is 7-7.5 and emerald is a 7.5-8. The problem with emeralds is brittleness and the inclusions make it more fragile.

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock
This makes a pretty poor case for using a tsavorite in my ring I suppose. I knew its Mohs scale hardness value....but had still heard from various people that it would be OK to use as a center stone and might only need repolishing over the years. I was also planning to have it bezel set, which I thought would be an extra level of protection. Now I am unsure what to do....as I think tsavorites are beautiful and unique gemstones. ...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MlMGeoGem|1396932084|3649515 said:
I have actually heard mixed reviews on tsavorite's durability. ...to the effect that it is far more stable than emeralds(*and many have used emeralds in engagement settings for centuries)....and that with proper care it is feasible.

As they say, the keyword is "proper care". For most people, they prefer their e-rings to be wear-and-go, without worry about having to take it off to do work with their hands. Bezel setting only protects the girdle. The entire crown area (top area above the girdle) is still exposed. I wear my garnet once a week or so, to work (removed once at home) where I have a desk job, never on weekends and it already shows facet wear.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on how you will wear it and treat it. If you are like me, well intentioned about taking it off when home and doing chores but at the same time a bit forgetful, you might want to reconsider - or recognize that it will sustain damage over time (hopefully, not life threatening like in the case of an emerald though).

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock
This really places me in a predicament. ....because I favor the green coloring of the tsavorite and so far cannot find anything equivalent. Emeralds are too fragile and untreated pure green/deep green sapphires don't seem to exist (*that was my first choice, but after months of searching with different vendors I gave up the sapphire hunt.....they are simply too often "olive hued" and otherwise notoriously heat treated, etc). This all said, I might be better off to take my chances trying to protect a bezel set tsavorite. ...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
There isn't anything equivalent to that color green.

I'm not sure what advice to give you, except that it might be time to evaluate other avenues, and give a tsavorite as a necklace or an occasional wear right hand ring instead. :sick:

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock
Green diamonds perhaps (lol).....

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock

MlMGeoGem

Rough_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. Yes, maybe green diamonds, but unless you're a millionaire...or maybe you need to be a billionaire to get a saturated green diamond in a larger than microscopic size...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results