shape
carat
color
clarity

Who Is Smart Enough to Figure This Out?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The women here appear to be sitting without chairs. It's impossible to lean back like that without being dumped on their butts. No trembling, no re-adjusting, no movement at all. On one leg, yet. I say it can't be done -- so what's the trick? Can't figure it out, but they have some support somewhere. Can anybody find it? Curiosity is killing me.

This is a gorgeous dance piece, no matter how they work it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6HfDeTVpinU&vq=medium

Mia16

Rough_Rock
I'm guessing clear hanging cable attached to their waist to appear floating? One of the ladies does seem to turn a tiny bit....keeping your torso straight facing the audience while crossing a leg must be a torment.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Their left shoes are attached to the floor (you can just spot them pivoting on the heel as the shot cuts away). It appears that there is a mechanism run up through the left pant leg that is hinged at their knee that bends along with them when they sit down, which probably runs all the way through the seat of the pants. Incredibly uncomfortable, I'm sure, but the effect is stunning! (ETA: If you look around 1:05, you can see a girl about 1/3 of the way in from the right hand side very specifically putting her left heel into some sort of hold. In the end, it's kinda like Michael Jackson's leaning shoes.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia16|1396964723|3649678 said:
I'm guessing clear hanging cable attached to their waist to appear floating? One of the ladies does seem to turn a tiny bit....keeping your torso straight facing the audience while crossing a leg must be a torment.

Given the use of cables on the flying women later in the dance, my bet would be on cables, too. Thank you for sharing that, Laurie. I wasn't expecting the Ode to Joy!

Deb
:read:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's it! Thank you, vc. I would never have seen it & it was driving me crazy. At about 2:10 you can see a brace around the shoe of the 2nd one from the left. Michael Jackson, of course! You made my day. :))

Ode to Joy, yes, Deb. I was pretty surprised when they let go with Bach!

--- Laurie

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's done based on techniques by Dutch magician / illusionist Ramana.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I never heard of him but looked him up -- I see, same idea. Thanks for the heads-up. Here is an explanation of his levitation -- hang with it, there's English after the 1st few seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2veILPxWY

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The whole thing is quite spectacular. Love the gongs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results