shape
carat
color
clarity

A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (Pics)

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Re: A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (P

What a cutie! I think you are handling this situation the best way possible - searching for kitty's original owner first and then potentially adopting him/her yourself if he/she is not claimed.

Regardless, this kitty will have a wonderful home either way! :appl:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I put him in the bathroom and oh my gosh, he cried and cried! I did let him hang out with me, bit he's back in there now with a warm blanket, food, litter, and water. Sweet (loud) baby.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ohhh pretty kitty! :love:

If he has no owners, or they don't want him, I hope you are able to keep him. Our first kitty together was a stray that wandered to JD's place and took refuge in the barn-garage. She was very insistent on living w/him. JD was SO not a cat person but boy did she win him over. We had her for 10 years.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love cow colored kitties! And it looks like a super nice one. Thanks for bringing him inside in such bad weather. Sounds like you have a good plan for checking for owners and giving him a great home if none are found. Please keep us posted.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

we want to hear name options too when you find out if you have boy-kitty or girl-kitty.

I vote Senor if boy kitty (I don't know how to make the ~ over the n) and Cosette for girl kitty.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL I have been calling it Oreo literally since it strolled in. I have to admit, it's fun being with a cat who is so cuddly. Our one cat now is awesome but it was a long tough road even getting him to sit on the couch with us.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

it has been my experience that a cat will often decide it does not like the family of origin and will adopt another.
I've had it happen and was accused of feeding the woman's cat tuna when the truth is that I couldn't get the cat to go away.
he did not like her.....and his brother didn't either. the neighbors told me a few things.....

anyway, I wouldn't feel guilty about keeping this kitty after checking for a chip. I'd be thinking of names for it right about now......I might put some posters up and around but I'd be very careful about someone claiming it. why? this is how some people get cats to either mistreat or sell for experiments.

no, no guilt at all about keeping this fur baby.

eta: OREO IS A WONDERFUL NAME!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^Yes, that's a good point movie zombie - I've heard of that happening too (people claiming strays with malicious intent).

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

That's a gorgeous cat, for certain. I got a 4th one because it showed up here and had no home. I hope everything works out for the best for you and the kitty. I think you did the right thing, taking it in for the night at least.

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Elliot86|1396913841|3649287 said:
My SO and I discussed it. We will make every effort to locate this kitty's home, as well as getting proper veterinary care in the morning. We won't be calling the shelter. If a month goes by and no one claims the kitten we will get i.d. tags made and embrace a 2 cat household.

Oh, God bless you! It is a very pretty cat.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We had go let him out of the bathroom. He is so loud. My SO gets up at 4 am for work and can't listen to a crying cat all night. Ugh, not ideal but the cat is sharing a blanket with SO at the moment on the couch. All I see is a big sleeping man and kitten whiskers sticking out from under the quilt :roll:

I am upstairs with our other cat calming him down and assuring him he's still our best boy.

Wow what a night!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elliot86|1396922350|3649424 said:
We had go let him out of the bathroom. He is so loud. My SO gets up at 4 am for work and can't listen to a crying cat all night. Ugh, not ideal but the cat is sharing a blanket with SO at the moment on the couch. All I see is a big sleeping man and kitten whiskers sticking out from under the quilt :roll:

I am upstairs with our other cat calming him down and assuring him he's still our best boy.

Wow what a night!

where's the camera when you have such a cute situation?!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie|1396927734|3649474 said:
Elliot86|1396922350|3649424 said:

Wow what a night!

where's the camera when you have such a cute situation?!

Yes! How cute.

Love the name Oreo for him (it def is a he, right?)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah. Some babies are very chatty. We had one that kept us both up ALL NIGHT. Chatty Siamese.

Fingers crossed there is no contagion/parasite/infection and it will be okay that you weren't able to quarantine him.

Also give your resident cat love from me. It can be so hard on them when they get a new roommate.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know you probably don't "need" to hear this, but after some negativity in this thread, I want to thank you again, and tell you that I think you're doing every possible above and beyond step in the best interest of Oreo. Most would have never opened their doors.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you all! :wavey: It is now 7am here, cat clinic opens at 8 and we will see what is happening with our friend here. I will update this thread again after I know more!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1396954903|3649599 said:
Thank you all! :wavey: It is now 7am here, cat clinic opens at 8 and we will see what is happening with our friend here. I will update this thread again after I know more!

Good luck Elliot!!! I hope the darling kitty checks out healthy and I am sending (((hugs))) to you both!

And I second Madelise's sentiment. If all people were like you in this regard the world would be a better place. Looking out for your neighbors whether human or fur baby. :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Best of luck with oreo - hope his health checks out ok. How's he doing with your other cat so far?

And for what it's worth, I posted a follow-up on the first page to explain my thoughts/opinions. I was reading a handful of posts that recommended just keeping the cat, but what I didn't realize is that those members were quoting a post about having the cat checked for a microchip first and foremost and THEN adopting him. I posted that the misunderstanding was my fault, so I accept responsibility for the "negativity" - if that's what you were referring to, madelise. I have never turned away an animal in need of help - we've had everything from birds, to salamanders, to lost dogs... I was simply trying to advocate the importance of finding the rightful owner (if there is one) and after reading through each post in detail, I realized that everyone else was too.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1396959220|3649626 said:
Best of luck with oreo - hope his health checks out ok. How's he doing with your other cat so far?

And for what it's worth, I posted a follow-up on the first page to explain my thoughts/opinions. I was reading a handful of posts that recommended just keeping the cat, but what I didn't realize is that those members were quoting a post about having the cat checked for a microchip first and foremost and THEN adopting him. I posted that the misunderstanding was my fault, so I accept responsibility for the "negativity" - if that's what you were referring to, madelise. I have never turned away an animal in need of help - we've had everything from birds, to salamanders, to lost dogs... I was simply trying to advocate the importance of finding the rightful owner (if there is one) and after reading through each post in detail, I realized that everyone else was too.

Thank you for saying all this momhappy. I'm glad you explained any misunderstandings...

This is a happy thread! :appl:

And good morning Oreo! (we need more pictures! :bigsmile:)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just got off the phone with the SPCA. I could go to the cat clinic but the SPCA will provide more services oriented towards locating potential owners to begin. Then the clinic will do a flea treatment if needed. I combed the cat for fleas and ticks, so far so good but obviously a vet is better trained than I am! The shelter is seriously backed up as we're coming into the warm months, so it may be a few hours until we can get in for a microchip scan. Which seems to be fine with everyone here! My SO is going back and forth on the future adoption talks though which is making me :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: He thinks it is unfair to make our other cat miserable by placing another cat into the house, whereas I think cats are adaptable and can learn to get along after a slow introduction. So we'll see....
"MEOW!"

_16740.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The cat is cute, and looks like it has find a home that he loves.

If no one comes forward to claim it despite making every effort to re-unite it with its owner, then IMHO, it is fate that it chooses the OP and the house as its new forever owner and home.

DK :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1396963691|3649669 said:
He thinks it is unfair to make our other cat miserable by placing another cat into the house, whereas I think cats are adaptable and can learn to get along after a slow introduction. So we'll see....
"MEOW!"

If you have the patience to do as slow an introduction as necessary then you will greatly minimize any misery the resident cat will feel.

From my own experience Elliot when I brought a new cat into the house my resident (and very senior) cat hated him...it took weeks of them just seeing each other (one in the cage, the other free, alternating who was caged and who was free) and then moved to more weeks of feeding together (the food makes them focus more on the food than each other) for the senior cat to be be able to stand to be in the presence of the new cat...

It took a lot of patience but I didn't want my senior cat to get overly stressed out...so I hear what your husband is saying...but with patience it is so worth a shot. They could even end up getting along and loving each other. Oreo just looks so perfect at that window! ::)

(edited for clarity)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

As a past cat owner, I agree that sometimes introducing a second cat can take time & patience. It can be a difficult process, but often times manageable if you can suffer through it for a while.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

UPDATE:
The cat clinic is completely backlogged until Friday night. The receptionist was very encouraging and gave me tips on how to properly detect fleas and good avenues to explore for "Found Cat" posters. She said definitely keep the kitties apart until we know more, but thanked me for getting a cat out of the rain. Between them and the SPCA it seems like we are off to a great start! And meanwhile Oreo is happily using the litter box, napping, and eating Trader Joe's kitty tuna :appl:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

I hope you get to keep Oreo, he seems super nice and friendly!

Our family cat whom we sadly lost (many years ago) also adopted us the same way :))

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Snuggling

_16745.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

the resident cat will adapt.
it may take time and it will mean making sure it too gets plenty of attention.
I have had 9 cats all at one time and all indoors.
it wasn't easy in some of the cases.
it is unfair to your resident kitty to be alone w/o companionship.
and given how this kitty has already settled into your home and into your heart, well, SO be damned [apologies to your SO].
I think it would break your heart to not keep this kitty and that is what I hope your SO will keep in mind.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliott, I hope everything works out. It takes a lot to do what you're doing. If my pup ever got away, I could only hope that a nice family would give him food, warmth and cuddles until we could be reunited.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know what else to add other that you are being a great kitty mum to both. I hope you'll be able to find Oreo's original owners, if not, she(?)'s in good hands with you.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Such a cute cat! And the name is so fitting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results