color
clarity

10 ct CC Blue -> Purple Spinel

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
That is nice, but not to sound like a suck-up, I think your color change spinel you had set into a ring not too long ago is nicer. Maybe just not the size of an un-passable kidney stone!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like your Luc Yen much better, but thanks for sharing. It's still a nice and sizable stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It worries me that the GRS report's photos make it look very strong if not vivid in both colorways, but the comments indicate its "pastel to medium saturation." Just don't confuse me, people!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh. I'm not a fan.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the top one is probably a medium tone, and the bottom is probably medium dark to dark.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either way, the prices are :-o ! Probably due to the size.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of enormous blue spinels, here's another. Its 23 carats and at the Field Museum in Chicago. It's called "The Duchess." I saw it in person, and it was a true black hole. The pictures are flattering and don't look like that in person IMO. What is really rare is not just to find a large blue spinel, but one of light tone. It seems the larger ones are too dark.

duchess_spinel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1396964637|3649677 said:
Speaking of enormous blue spinels, here's another. Its 23 carats and at the Field Museum in Chicago. It's called "The Duchess." I saw it in person, and it was a true black hole. The pictures are flattering and don't look like that in person IMO. What is really rare is not just to find a large blue spinel, but one of light tone. It seems the larger ones are too dark.

It looks all right in the pictures but that's probably due to post processing. :lol: I agree that most tend to be too dark in tone, which contributes to the black hole phenomena.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1396965386|3649684 said:
TL|1396964637|3649677 said:

It looks all right in the pictures but that's probably due to post processing. :lol: I agree that most tend to be too dark in tone, which contributes to the black hole phenomena.

I actually opened a thread on the Grainger Hall of Gems at the Field Museum on PS. I remember thinking it was so unexceptional, that I didn't even bother taking a photo of it. I have to go back and take a picture just so I can show the true representation of it.

I mean, I wouldn't mind having it, but it was very very low in saturation, and extremely dark in tone. I think it looked almost like a black spinel if my memory serves me correctly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results