shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you work in jewelry full time?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love jewelry, and gemstones and pearls especially. But, my interest is more tilted towards that of museum curator than a business person; so, I've never tried to make my 'passion' my 'job' too. What about you? Would you, or have you made your love of jewelry into a livelihood?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have. I worked as a sales associate for a number of years. I love working with people, and I also love jewelry (obviously, haha!). I would not return to it full time in the capacity I was before. I hated the hours, always working crappy hours, and under very demanding goals that they can fire you for not making (that's happened to me). If I were skilled and fully trained as a jeweler, yes. If I were able to work better hours for better pay, yes. I'm not sure what other areas I would work in, but under the right circumstances, I would go back.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I should never work for a jewelry store - I'd never get paid; I'd owe them money because I'd be buying everything with my employee discount. :bigsmile:

I sure love looking at gems, diamonds and jewelry.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BFF did. All her $$ went back into the store!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! In a heartbeat! I need to finish my GG and learn more about design, so that I can start my business. Keep your fingers crossed - I have a bunch of other matters to deal with before I can turn to my dream!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to, but kids with special needs need me more than jewelry ever will.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1396726716|3648018 said:
I would love to, but kids with special needs need me more than jewelry ever will.

You're a hero. Thank you for all you do.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep. I've considered that if I ever leave this job.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
marcy|1396722119|3647974 said:
I know I should never work for a jewelry store - I'd never get paid; I'd owe them money because I'd be buying everything with my employee discount. :bigsmile:

The funny thing is, most of you are already paying less than the prices that the employees get with their discount at the chain and mall stores.

Wink's sad but true department.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as I never had to deal with the public. :knockout:

Think Bridezilla.
I can't image a demographic who would be more of a nightmare to deal with than jewelry customers.
There's so much money, and emotion at stake; reason goes out the window.

I say this based on reading 10 years of PS posts.

Oh, and even that saint Kenny can turn into an A-hole when buying jewelry.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, nawwwww, I don't believe it! :errrr:

I did in the retail selling part & didn't like it. Loved the customers; some of the jewelry was nice, some was icky. I love selling when I believe in the product, but if not, I just can't fake it. Hated recommending pieces that weren't all that great. Could not rave if someone adored a necklace that really looked crappy on her. Everyone has her own taste, but some things on some people are just no no no!

Hours are long & you work most holidays. With sales goals, the competition among colleagues gets fierce & vicious. The atmosphere almost sent me to a padded room. I walked out in the middle of a morning, never went back -- only time in my life, but it saved my sanity.

--- Laurie

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree - as long as I never had to deal with the public.
and I say this with complete humility because I heard myself today at my local jeweler and I was pretty unbearable. I know just enough to be unreasonable....or dangerous.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be interested in retail. Geology? Gem certification? Gem hunts and buying trips? Sign me up. I'm not interested so much in the diamond trade.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now oh hell no. But I did in the 90's. Worked for a high end firm. Learned from a GG and was in heaven. But got held up at gun point twice. I even had to testify in court. That was scary.. I loved my clients. Hated the hours. But enjoyed it none the less. I even got to go to Mikimoto in NYC... GOT the VIP treatment. Below wholsale.. Loved that....

I loved my clients. They were so loyal. But in todays economy I would rather shoot myself than deal with people. Plus the store closed and almost anything worth going into has closed.. Sad for sure...

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I would love to be associated with an antique jeweller, especially when it came time to go on buying trips - not modern, new, retail stuff. I would love choosing and selling all the vintage pieces - so much beauty and history. Goodness knows there is hardly a PSer less educated than any sales associate I've stumbled upon!

But I'd never do it full time. I would miss pathology too much. It will always be my number 1 love. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could only do it if I were free to give my honest opinions to customers and even then I don't think I would be good in retail. Some people get on my nerves and I am not good at hiding my true feelings lol. Plus I would not want to work weekends or holidays or late hours.

However, like Ginger, if I were to work in jewelry I would want it to be dealing with old cut diamonds and vintage jewelry and choosing estate pieces to purchase. And I am quite sure I would be purchasing some of those pieces for my own collection. So it is probably better for everyone involved for me not to be associated with the jewelry business. :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes the weird people are a gas if you can stand it. The strangest incident, to me, was when 2 women put a batch of brownies on the counter at Tiffany's & began cutting them up & dividing them between themselves, yakking away happily. Oblivious, as if they were in their own kitchen! We were all in stitches.

I loved others. An old-ish fellow became a kind of pal, buying for his wife. He was the American vice-ambassador to the UN (don't know what the formal title is) & he was adorable. Loved to joke with him. He always asked for me & because he was so nice, I snuck extras to him, such as free silver pouches when he asked, which we were never ever to give out -- could be fired; I swore him to secrecy & his eyes sparkled with fun. One day a woman was browsing & we got into a long conversation. Finally she introduced herself as his wife & said, "I just had to come in & meet this person my husband raves so about." Ha!

After 9/11 many customers talked about family or friends they lost. Almost compulsively, working through shock & grief. Heartbreaking.

Then there are the unbearably rude clods. One guy, when he changed an engraving 3 times & I told him I might not be able to catch the engravers in time to make his 3rd change, screamed at me on the phone. I held the phone away from my ear & a saleswoman at the other end of the counter could hear him clearly. I'll never forget Lara Spencer, a C-list tv personality who seems really cute on the tube -- IRL not so much. She brought her wedding flatware to be monogrammed; engraving is sent to the NYC facility & waits its turn among jobs from all over the country. She wanted it NOW & constantly complained; when it was done, it was all a mm not to her liking & came back; she hated it again, blah blah. I was SO grateful not to be working w/her -- she called the poor saleswoman every name in the book, "stupid" the least nasty of them. A total b***h. It was amazing how few people were ugly, though. I liked most of our customers.

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1396788307|3648320 said:
Sometimes the weird people are a gas if you can stand it. The strangest incident, to me, was when 2 women put a batch of brownies on the counter at Tiffany's & began cutting them up & dividing them between themselves, yakking away happily. Oblivious, as if they were in their own kitchen! We were all in stitches.

I loved others. An old-ish fellow became a kind of pal, buying for his wife. He was the American vice-ambassador to the UN (don't know what the formal title is) & he was adorable. Loved to joke with him. He always asked for me & because he was so nice, I snuck extras to him, such as free silver pouches when he asked, which we were never ever to give out -- could be fired; I swore him to secrecy & his eyes sparkled with fun. One day a woman was browsing & we got into a long conversation. Finally she introduced herself as his wife & said, "I just had to come in & meet this person my husband raves so about." Ha!

After 9/11 many customers talked about family or friends they lost. Almost compulsively, working through shock & grief. Heartbreaking.

Then there are the unbearably rude clods. One guy, when he changed an engraving 3 times & I told him I might not be able to catch the engravers in time to make his 3rd change, screamed at me on the phone. I held the phone away from my ear & a saleswoman at the other end of the counter could hear him clearly. I'll never forget Lara Spencer, a C-list tv personality who seems really cute on the tube -- IRL not so much. She brought her wedding flatware to be monogrammed; engraving is sent to the NYC facility & waits its turn among jobs from all over the country. She wanted it NOW & constantly complained; when it was done, it was all a mm not to her liking & came back; she hated it again, blah blah. I was SO grateful not to be working w/her -- she called the poor saleswoman every name in the book, "stupid" the least nasty of them. A total b***h. It was amazing how few people were ugly, though. I liked most of our customers.

--- Laurie

Oh I can totally see how Lara Spencer would be a b***h. Somehow any sense of celebrity gives some people the right to be arrogant and rude. Sad.

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy interacting with people but not in a selling capacity. It somehow changes the dynamics. I almost feel like they expect blood sometimes because you are selling them something- sort of like a used car salesman mentality. Not all (or even much) of the time and this is only my perception because I don't have any experience in sales. I just know I wouldn't be any good at it at all and I have lots of respect for those that can do it!

And then you have the lovely customers/sellers and going to work each day is a joy. Yesterday we went to my favorite estate jewelry store in Lambertville and visited with the amazing women who are there. It is always such a wonderful time and you can tell they love what they do. It comes through. And they never sell-they allow you to fall in love with what you love and answer any questions but you never ever feel like they want you/need you to purchase anything. It's a safe environment in which to enjoy the gorgeous jewels. And in fact, yesterday, since I was not my usual bubbly self the owner came over to me and insisted I try on some pieces though she knew full well I was not going to be tempted to purchase anything. They are that kind and lovely.

But I guess it's like anywhere. It's not so much what you do but who you are that comes through every single time no matter your occupation. Lovely people are lovely no matter the environment.

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
I work in marketing, and I would LOVE to be on the marketing team of a jewelry company! A good one of course. It's just that much easier to get creative when you're passionate about the subject.
Retail, however, I would never be able to do. I'm an introvert, and having to deal with people all day every day would be the end of me...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worked in jewelry three times in my life, twice for a major department store and once for an indie store. I always had a lot of fun. JewelFreak is right about the competition between employees--it can be very cutthroat and ruthless. As far as dealing with the clients; well, you have to have a thick skin and a sense of humor. For every negative Nelly I would say there are ten great client experiences, though. And co-workers--I am still good friends with people I worked with as far back as 1998. One lady passed away unexpectedly back in 2008 and I did not know until I sent her an email and her partner sent me a card with a snapshot of her inside and said he knew she would want me to have something to remember her by. I still miss her.

Dealing with the public in the capacity of a very personal experience such as buying jewelry has a major upside--if you are the kind of person people really respond to and open up to, you get to share in a really great moment for them. Most people are buying jewelry because it makes them feel good, and you get to be part of that. If you approach the job with a positive mindset, you'll basically reap what you sow. If you go into it thinking the worst of people and assuming they're going to be difficult, well, that's what will happen.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lioness|1396726818|3648019 said:
madelise|1396726716|3648018 said:

You're a hero. Thank you for all you do.

Thanks. I had my first client for 8 weeks that just ended, and it's been a phenomenal journey to watch his own life change as well as his loved ones' lives change.

While I love my sparklies, I can never give up that sense of fulfillment I receive from what I do. I figure my paycheck can always buy me sparklies to help fill any possible cravings, anyway :bigsmile: and besides...
Wink said:
marcy|1396722119|3647974 said:

The funny thing is, most of you are already paying less than the prices that the employees get with their discount at the chain and mall stores.

Wink's sad but true department.

THIS. :lol: Most jewelry employees work in these large chains. Or those high end chains, where a discount is a moot point. I like the thrill of hunting for a preowned or antique piece at an extreme discount. :sun:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I worked in jewelry part time when I was in grad school. I loved being able to try on everything, but never felt the need to buy. What really annoyed me was when women would come in and supposedly buy something on a Friday and then return it on a Monday. We knew they bought it to wear for a special occasion that weekend.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I win the lottery, I would have a complete career change and become a goldsmith or learn to cut gemstones etc., so that I can make my own jewellery.

DK :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For myself, yes. In a traditional business environment, no.

My dad was a colored stone dealer on 47th when I was growing up, and when I talked about maybe wanting to follow in his footsteps, he was adamantly opposed. Part of that was because he saw it as being an inherently sexist environment (which, okay, a little, but not for the reasons he put forth). Part of it was because he saw it as being fundamentally fiscally unreliable: we weren't hand-to-mouth, but a lot depended on the state of the market. Fair enough, but ... I became an English professor, y'know? The possibility of poverty isn't going to scare me off of a thing I love.

But the biggest thing, for me? I worked in the jewelry industry twice, once for a guy who cut corners (...no bueno!), once for a guy who was a ridiculous martinet who I think actively got off on trying to see if he could get his employees to cry (he fired me when I asked for an afternoon off to be made up working from home so that I could take a friend to a biopsy after a cancer scare). I don't know if it's that I've been spoiled by the academic environment or if it's that I've just always been a misanthrope, but I think the typical retail environment is just Too Much Togetherness for me. I like to be able to make my own calls.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I will survive the retail side of business (dealing with customers) but I would enjoy creating custom designs and faceting gems.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've done both retail store (Christian Bernard) and internet based, and love both!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1396875127|3648891 said:
I worked in jewelry part time when I was in grad school. I loved being able to try on everything, but never felt the need to buy. What really annoyed me was when women would come in and supposedly buy something on a Friday and then return it on a Monday. We knew they bought it to wear for a special occasion that weekend.

Crazy!! I would never think to do that??

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1396878681|3648935 said:
For myself, yes. In a traditional business environment, no.

My dad was a colored stone dealer on 47th when I was growing up, and when I talked about maybe wanting to follow in his footsteps, he was adamantly opposed. Part of that was because he saw it as being an inherently sexist environment (which, okay, a little, but not for the reasons he put forth). Part of it was because he saw it as being fundamentally fiscally unreliable: we weren't hand-to-mouth, but a lot depended on the state of the market. Fair enough, but ... I became an English professor, y'know? The possibility of poverty isn't going to scare me off of a thing I love.

But the biggest thing, for me? I worked in the jewelry industry twice, once for a guy who cut corners (...no bueno!), once for a guy who was a ridiculous martinet who I think actively got off on trying to see if he could get his employees to cry (he fired me when I asked for an afternoon off to be made up working from home so that I could take a friend to a biopsy after a cancer scare). I don't know if it's that I've been spoiled by the academic environment or if it's that I've just always been a misanthrope, but I think the typical retail environment is just Too Much Togetherness for me. I like to be able to make my own calls.

I never thought about sexism in the jewelry field, but I can definitely see it now that you mention it. Lisa Elser and Cindy Stair are the only female precision cutters I can think of out of many precision cutters, and Barabara of ACS before Barry took it over..but I don't see many female players in the field.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the things that I have always loved about the business is the people I get to meet.

I can tell you fascinating stories about real life heroes and also real life zeroes. I will not drop names, but some of them are huge (to me) that are my heroes, and then there were the con men and other zeroes. I caught most of the cons and helped get one of them arrested and extradited to his home state. Funny, I never did hear what happened to him, nor remember the state, but I always felt good about calling my contact at the airport (she was a client of mine and I had her direct number at the ticket counter which was not available to the public) and getting her to hold up printing his ticket until the police could arrive. He was actually next in line when I called.

The parents of the young girl that he was going to "marry" were very grateful that she could not get on the plane with him, but I got the feeling she was not any too pleased with me and I never heard what happened to her either. That was clear back in the late 70's.

Most of my clients though are just great normal people who share some of the best times of their lives with me when they are buying jewelry for one happy occasion or another. It is awfully hard to ever think of not getting up each day and looking forward to working with someone cool that day.

Yes, occasionally there are people who are hard to deal with, and over the years I have fired a few of them. I would imagine the number actually could be counted on one hand, but it sure was rewarding to fire a couple of them. Firing one of them resulted in a lot of business for me as I called the lady who had referred him to me and apologized for not being able to help him.

The next day I got a call from someone at the company he worked for who asked if I was the jeweler who had thrown so and so from his office. When I replied yes, how did he know, he told me the client who referred him to me was yelling at him for making her look bad and he wanted to come shake my hand since he could not stand the guy either.

He bought a nice piece of jewelry and over the next couple of years sent in several clients who also bought nice pieces. I was real sad when all of his friends were married and he got transferred to another town.

So any way. It is a wonderful business if you are working for the right store. I can not imagine working for a large chain where making the sale is more important than adding value to the client's life. That would be too hard for me to contemplate.

Wink

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wink, I wish I could work for you. Sounds like a good time!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results