shape
carat
color
clarity

Prima red spinel - an oval that I love!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, ISo, I used to have a pretty strict "no oval" policy, after buying and returning so many, I didn't want to waste any more of my time or vendors'. Then I saw one last summer that I liked, on another PSer, and thought, okay, maybe there will be some that I like. But I'm still picky about them. When a kind PSer highly recommended this stone to me, I was somewhat hesitant, in large part because of the shape. I was also kind of chasing down another Holy Grail mission (that failed), so otherwise occupied, but eventually things fell into place for this puppy to land in my hands. 3.51 Mahenge spinel, 10.5 x 8.3 mm. It can change moods, looking more like a pink-red at times, and more red at others.

I don't know how I'm going to set it. I wish I had the funds to set it before the PS GTG, but I have another holy grail type stone I'm saving up for, that I've loved for a few years (and for some reason, it has waited for me). I'd love a halo with super white stones surrounding it, but also am open to something like half moons and tapered baguettes, or bullets on the sides. Suggestions welcome! :)

Okay, pics!

img_4293.jpg

img_4296.jpg

img_4299.jpg

img_4300.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some comparison pics, next a Burmese red and a couple of Mahenge pinks. Also the cool vendor shot under the black light. I must get one!

prima_vs_ca.jpg

img_0415.jpg

img_0438.jpg

spinel_9.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, what a gorgeous color and cut. :love: I can see why you are in love with this spinel. It's a find! I think either of your setting choices would be lovely. Super white diamond halo or half moons or baguettes as side stones. Though if you don't already own a diamond halo ring I would choose that one probably. Gorgeous stone and looking forward to seeing the finished ring! :appl:

And I love all your gemstone jewelry. BEAUTIFUL. :love:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
That is a very nice oval with popping colour. Big too! =)

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Wow, your new red spinel is gorgeous! Your other rings are beautilicious too. Red, red, red! Sure do love red CS's!
:love: Great find!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Love love love

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty, pretty; you've been hauling some very nice CS lately. :appl:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is absolutely beautiful! Most of the time, I'm in the 'no oval' camp too, but that is quite the exception!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Flippin' gorgeous! That's an oval I'd be happy with too!! Completely gorgeous :)

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Love ALL of your spinels!! Beautiful...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a beauty! Terrific color & saturation. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

--- Laurie

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy - thank you! I have a few haloed greens, but no haloed reds or pinks yet.

LoversKites - I will admit the size might have helped me "overlook" the oval thing, too. :naughty:

gemandjewelrylover - thanks! I'm a bit of a sucker for reds/pinks/pink-reds, I must admit.

Mico - thanks!

Chrono - thanks! It's probably still not close to your pear, but I'll take it. :bigsmile:

endless summer, katharath, MrsM, and JF - thank you!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NOMNOMNOMNOM!!

It's totally selfish of me, but c'mon, go into major debt to set that puppy before the GTG. PPLLLEEEAASSSEE???!!! :Up_to_something:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, AW! I've thought about it! I also thought about putting a bug in some ebay gurus' ears to keep an eye out for a preloved setting that might work, at least temporarily. ;-)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, you're totally set then! I have a feeling the gurus will come through for you.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
That is an amazing color! I could hardly believe that I saw "oval that I love" on a post by you, but now it all makes sense. What a great stone, good on you for having such a beauty!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats - it has officially moved into first place as my favorite red Mahenge! Great size and for a dreaded oval, I don't see much - or any, really - of that annoying head blockage extinction.

Ha, just goes to show you that when you aren't really looking, things fall into your lap, wink, wink!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Xrisus! Yes, hell must have frozen over - I now have THREE ovals in my collection!! :o

Minou - thanks! There is some occasional shadowing, but I've finally come to realize that no stone is perfect ALL of the time. ;)) (now, to wait for the violet…)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never thought I'd see the day when you bought an oval. :Up_to_something:

Can't wait to see how you set it!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
HA - I guess I should feel all proud of myself for pulling NKOTB over to the dark side re the oval then! LOL

I had my hands on this, but couldn't justify it becuase I already have two really nice red spinels. I spent a day trying my best to justify getting this one too, but in the end, I just couldn't. I KNEW, though, that it had to go to a PSer who could fully appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I'm not an oval fan either - not only because it's hard to find well cut ones, but for me, ovals are kind of like bologna sandwiches. I took bologna sandwiches to school nearly every day, so they hold little appeal to me now. Similarly, when I was growing up, the only shape my birthstone was ever available in was oval, so it's now among my least favorite shapes.

Anyway - I'm SO happy this stone found a great home, and I cannot wait to see what you do with it!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, dk!

I know, right, Freke?!

Yep, all your doing on this one, alj! A big fat THANK YOU! :bigsmile:

I have actually picked a setting - I'll start a new thread when it's put together! :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results