shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you get yourself to wear fake diamonds?

Asu

Shiny_Rock
I think trying to pass it off is wrong,however I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to let everyone knows they are wearing fakes.It's only their buisness,and if someone assume they are real,it's their problem,not the wearer.
I love diamonds,and I will probably get some diamond bands in the future (definetely not now,no $$ at all for that!!),and I have no problem with mix it up,but I happen to like moissanite more.It took me a couple of years,an extensive search (since no one here knows what moissanite is and there is only one retailer in the whole country,pretty much everyone wear low quality cz since the high quakity hand cut ones are unknown here,and almost no one wear diamonds since they are at least 3x more expensive that in the USA),and a long drive to see all the options in person,but moissanite sparkle so much more,and is pretty much a stone on his own instead of just a sim like a cz could be.Also,I will not be able to afford a diamond of a size that can keep me happy for a long,long time,no matter how much I save.I'm a size wh*re,I admit :lol: I like big things that sparkle,but I don't care to pass them off as diamonds.everyone here will think it's just cz anyway,that's just how it goes.
my philosophy is as long as it sparkle,i's beautiful!I don't get purist,on both sides.If you enjoy what you have,and other people enjoy ehat they have too,what's the problem?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not sure if this should be here, or in a new thread of its own, but ....

... do you guys ever go in the opposite direction? While I think it's pretty common for people to wear sims and encourage those around them to believe they're real (not y'all in this thread, obvs), or allow them to make assumptions in that "silence means consent" sort of a fashion, do y'all ever go in the other direction, and use your big blingy general style as camouflage for your real pieces? Especially in this economy, I don't like to draw attention to big purchases, even if I do like their proceeds: so while I'll happily brag about paste or enamel vintage pieces, or jewelry that I make myself, I tend to keep it on the DL concerning the real stuff.

This is basically force of habit, since I grew up poor with a gem-dealer daddy: while I might not have had beer money in college, I was wearing rough diamond rings on both hands, and the combination, I think, made people assume it was aaaaaaaaaaaall costume. These days, while people might ask if my honking 4-carat-per-ear asscher studs are real (snort!), no one's ever so much as peeped about my H&A studs ... and while I happily trumpeted my newfound love of paste far and wide off the board, I dunno if I'm going to be volunteering the fact that I caved and went back and bought the Art Deco bracelet. If people think it is the paste bracelet, looking all polished ... in some ways, that's easier.

I suppose part of this is simply the basic good taste that keeps us all from discussing our finances in general, high or low, but I feel like it'd be harder to sneak things into rotation without attracting attention if I just had a classic jewelry wardrobe of all-real pieces. Am I alone in this? .... Bueller?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
That's really interesting, Circe. I never thought of doing it that way, but I can see some value in doing that when I'm older and my pieces get (hopefully) bigger. I love diamonds because they please me. They're not for anyone else. In fact, sometimes, I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the attention my ering draws. I wouldn't care if someone thought it was fake. I prefer people not making assumptions about what I have in the bank anyways - and being sized up by some women is not fun, especially when I'm usually in grubby clothes outside of work and I get the shifty eyes of new acquaintances looking at my stone.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twenty years ago I did wear Diamonique and Diamond Essence jewelry because I thought I'd never be able to afford real diamonds. Then I started shopping at Fortunoff in earnest (once a month) and found their prices to be reasonable and they offered a little something called "will-call". Then I started collecting! and I have accumulated a nice little treasure chest of pretties. I melted all of my CZ jewelry for scrap gold years ago. I also gave some of it away. No need for fakies any more!

I came back to add....... I fibbed. I did keep one piece, a three quarter CZ eternity band that I wear when we go to Home Depot or we're out on the boat fishing.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1305223983|2919856 said:
I am curious, for the people who won't wear fake diamonds: do you not wear costume jewelry of any sort? Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, pearls...etc? What about on your wedding day, was all of your bridal jewelry real? Just being nosy, feel free to answer whatever you're comfortable with. :wavey:

I have a few pieces of costume jewelry and a few pieces of Diamonique but I hardly ever wear them but for different reasons.

Now that I have a couple sizable pieces of real diamond jewelry, the sims don't excite me anymore. The costume jewerly would
require that I get more dressed up than I do. The costume is bigger or fancier, I guess.

I don't have anything against anyone wearing fakes and enjoying them, I just don't anymore and wondered if you all felt the
same.

It's dishonest to pass sims off as real here or elsewhere in my opinion. Most people who wear them do so (I think) for some of the
reasons previously mentioned, and not to pass them off as real necessarily.

Oh I did forget one, I have a Diamonique tennis necklace I wore for my daughters wedding, but never again. I seem to do that a lot.
Luckily, my DH has never been bugged about it. On the other hand, the dress I wore for the wedding was more than my wedding
dress and I probably won't wear that again either.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Forte Kitty, you sum it all up well.

Under category one, you can find some surprising people. If you want to discuss people who wore 'fake" jewelry, and could afford the real thing, you can start with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (fake pearls); Princess Diana (was known for buying high end costume jewelry and mixing up with the the obviously real jewelry given or loaned to her by the royal family and her own amazing jewelry (the lady was a Spencer, they were not poor); and even Queen Mary--there is a famous story of her on the way to some royal British event and breaking a string of 'pearls' and then telling everyone scurrying around to gather them up, "Don't bother, those ones are fake." (although I'm sure she phrased it in a more classy way.

I would add, that it is also snooty to feel that you are superior in some way to people who cannot afford real diamonds and are thus wearing fakes, even for their e-rings. Sometimes that can be a very wise financial decision and I can totally understand why someone in that position might not want to put that out there (assuming the couple agreed, of course and the man did not lie).

ON the other hand, if you don't want to wear fakes, I see no reason to sit in judgment on you either. People are different. I like to wear jewelry and accessorize and as I said, I don't much care. If you do care and are not comfortable wearing faux, you and me are different but I do not think that that makes you 'snooty'. I would only call it snooty if you look down others about something so totally inconsequential in the scheme of things as their jewelry choices, instead of feeling lucky and happy that you can have the things you like.

but like all here, I repeat that I don't like this dishonest posting of faux rings in SMTB, not only against the rules, but as I said before, obnoxious--and confusing. I hope they make the person stop it soon.

ForteKitty|1305225248|2919875 said:
I think everyone assumes there is only one category among sim wearers, when there are actually a lot more.

1) Those who can afford it, and do have diamonds already, but want fun stuff they can wear, mess up, and not care.

2) Those who cannot afford diamonds now, but will be able to later, so the cz is a stand in.

3) Those who cannot afford diamonds, but still want the same look.

4) Those can afford it but choose not to buy it for whatever reason.

5) Those who make copies of their real and expensive stuff so they can have peace of mind knowing the good stuff is in the safe.

To assume that everyone who wears fakes only wear them because they cannot afford real diamonds is kinda snooty. Some of the richest people out there have cz copies of the real thing. My jeweler once told me that his best client has sim copies of all her real stuff, and her collection is humongous.

eta: lying about it and posting it as real is still wrong tho. i have 2 sim rings and have never posted them here, even tho the settings are really nice.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
You aren't alone.

Circe|1305298525|2920701 said:

... do you guys ever go in the opposite direction? While I think it's pretty common for people to wear sims and encourage those around them to believe they're real (not y'all in this thread, obvs), or allow them to make assumptions in that "silence means consent" sort of a fashion, do y'all ever go in the other direction, and use your big blingy general style as camouflage for your real pieces? Especially in this economy, I don't like to draw attention to big purchases, even if I do like their proceeds: so while I'll happily brag about paste or enamel vintage pieces, or jewelry that I make myself, I tend to keep it on the DL concerning the real stuff.

This is basically force of habit, since I grew up poor with a gem-dealer daddy: while I might not have had beer money in college, I was wearing rough diamond rings on both hands, and the combination, I think, made people assume it was aaaaaaaaaaaall costume. These days, while people might ask if my honking 4-carat-per-ear asscher studs are real (snort!), no one's ever so much as peeped about my H&A studs ... and while I happily trumpeted my newfound love of paste far and wide off the board, I dunno if I'm going to be volunteering the fact that I caved and went back and bought the Art Deco bracelet. If people think it is the paste bracelet, looking all polished ... in some ways, that's easier.

I suppose part of this is simply the basic good taste that keeps us all from discussing our finances in general, high or low, but I feel like it'd be harder to sneak things into rotation without attracting attention if I just had a classic jewelry wardrobe of all-real pieces. Am I alone in this? .... Bueller?

minidancer

Shiny_Rock
I see what other PSers are saying, but I have no problem wearing CZ in some of my everyday earrings. I'm finishing my last year of law school and can't justify all the fabulous stuff some of the other PSers can!

The couple of real diamond pieces I own have sentimental value to me, and I would be devastated if I lost them. Therefore, I only where them on special occasions (with the exception of my ER).

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny|1304954785|2916233 said:
Just wanted to add this. I have no problem with fakeys (as I stated earlier) and I'd RATHER WEAR FAKES THAN CRAPPY DIAMONDS. I have fakes that sparkle a helluva lot more than some crap I've seen on others.

I agree with this too. Yes, I would prefer the real deal BUT sadly Im just not that rich, so happy to wear CZ earrings, necklace or bracelet but strangely enough not rings. That's like a big no no for me (no idea why! :lol: ) I've tried a few times but just feel like a massive fraud.... but 2ct CZ earrings? No problemo. :naughty:

I'd much rather wear CS bling than sh*tty mall shop diamond stuff too. I've had girls on the train give me pitying looks at my CS ering whilst wearing disgusting low-grade illusion rings. :nono: Ugh....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it's real diamonds or nothing … not that there's anything wrong with masturbating.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops DP.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have CZ earrings and bracelets, and wear them with real gem and diamond pieces.

DK :))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1396477451|3646131 said:
For me it's real diamonds or nothing … not that there's anything wrong with masturbating.

:lol:
WHAT?!
:lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This post makes me sad to see all the people who haven't posted in a long time!

Nothing stays clean and sharp like the real deal. No costume jewelry for me because I'm allergic to anything but 14 k yg or higher. I tried earrings but they always looked dull, even the expensive one.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have cz jewelry. It's either travel stuff or in styles that are fun but not worth for me to spend serious money on them. I actually wore mostly cz stuff when pregnant and before losing pregnancy weight. My fingers went up 2 sizes and I couldn't wear any of my regular diamond pieces.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course! I don't give a hoot. I'm a born magpie. If it's pretty I will wear it. Also the pesky fact remains that I do not have piles of disposable income set aside for REAL diamonds.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who dug up this 6 year old thread?... :Up_to_something:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS; the faker is still occasionally posting and claiming its real :lol:

(It's not me, WF will verify)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1396549375|3646727 said:
PS; the faker is still occasionally posting and claiming its real :lol:

(It's not me, WF will verify)
Give us a hint, who?... :naughty:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I have a couple of pairs of CZ earrings which I wear on occasion (usually while travelling) and a pair of sim earrings from Carat (these: http://www.carat.co/web/product/en/943?antiCache=1396659784328321BA8C60F28FCE4EF33A3AD3ABAB63D). I break them out pretty rarely nowadays. When I travel I tend to like wearing a plain pair of pearls or silver earrings instead. I don't wear sim/CZ rings or necklaces. It's just not for me. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I have a friend who wears a pair of CZ earrings (round, probably a carat each) and she insists that they are real. They aren't (unless they are dreadful quality). The sparkle just isn't the same and the setting is quite rough. I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing cz earrings but pretending they are real is just weird.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In earrings, yes. TJ Maxx sells some amazeballs fake diamonds. :lol: As a matter of fact, my BFF asked me the other day when I got 2 carat diamonds for my ears. She kind of tiptoed around it and finally came out and asked. I laughed and told her they were tj maxx. She had NO idea.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Glad this very old thread got resurrected, since I'd not seen it before.

I'm not opposed philosophically to wearing fake stones. I don't wear them for two primary reasons: because they often don't look the same to me, and because I am fortunate enough to own natural pieces that I want to get maximum wear out of since I invested in them.

Someone asked last time this thread was busy if people who don't wear sims also forgo costume jewelry.......I don't wear costume jewelry, either, again because I want to wear the pieces I've invested in.

I realize that I"m really fortunate to have them, but if hard times came tomorrow, I'd gladly unload them all and happily wear what I could swing including sims.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Before I get into diamonds, many years ago, I happily wore sims (my first jewelry related job, back in college, was working for a store called "Imposters" - cz's set in high quality 14k gold settings, meant to pass for the real thing). You wouldn't believe the bitchy crappy things people will say to you if you fess up that your earrings, engagement ring, etc. is a cz.

Now, if I wore a sim and someone were to ask my if my ring is real, I'd simply say, "No, it's a figment of your imagination...wooooooooo..." then waggle my fingers wildly in the air and walk away with an eye roll.

I don't blame sim wearers for allowing people to assume their stone is a diamond. It's just simpler that way and doesn't make them fake, or mean they're pretending to be something they're not. People choose sims for many reasons - financial, ethical, because they like to have lots of different styles to swap out, whatever. I don't care - sparkly is sparkly and a finely crafted bauble is worth admiring no matter the center stone. I understand firsthand that it's easier to go with the flow rather than announce to the world that your stone is man-made and then suffer the judgment and disparaging remarks.

Now, is it ok for someone to post a sim on PS and claim it's a diamond? No, because the rules are very clear and this is a diamond forum - there are separate forums where people can share their sims. That's not cool.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will wear fakes/czs with no problem at all, particularly with earrings. I have THE WORST luck with earrings and more than once I've lost half of a pair that were real and that I really loved. For that reason, I have quite a few pair of costume pieces I will wear for fun because I don't have to worry about losing them.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1305298525|2920701 said:

Sort of!

Lots of people in my classes in the college are wearing all fake stuff. The standard assumption is that anything anyone is wearing is fake because we're in college (and, honestly, most of what I see people wearing is fake!).

I'll quite happily wear my e-ring along with sapphire & diamond necklace to school since everyone figures it is fake.

I did find a pretty pink cz bracelet at Kohls and wear that every now and then. I've gotten lots of compliments on it and my e-ring and will quite happily smile and let people know the bracelet was on sale at Kohls for under $20. (If anyone is listening, I'd rather they figure if the one is fake the rest must be too!)

In general, I like to wear the real thing. I'd much rather have a couple of nice pieces than a bunch of mediocre fake stuff. That said, I have found myself building up some nice looking fake things so that I can have some stuff to wear in situations I may not want to have my nice stuff. (camping, shooting, airplane work, etc)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I have no problem wearing sims or cz but then i don't pretend its a diamond. it's only fake if you're pretending its something that its not. I have cz studs that I bought to consider size and have no problem wearing them because for one thing people in my area would assume they are cz and would be shocked if i said they were diamonds. and secondly because i don't even think of them as diamonds. they are nice in their own way but are nothing like diamonds to me. just a bit of glitter

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of you may know that when my Mom died all her diamonds - except 2 wedding sets - disappeared. Terrible loss to us kids who were to inherit her beautiful & well-loved things. So I replaced a few things with convincing fakes. But I never wear them. Somehow wearing the real thing feels better to me, and my little but real diamond feels ten times as big as the larger fakes :lol:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm in the minority - I don't care one way or the other for the most part. I have a few real daily pieces (right now just a couple rings and earrings) that I wear 24/7 (aside from cleaning haha). I would rather keep my real studs than have ginormous fake studs. I blew a big wad on my main ring, but I would love to have every.single.cut known to man to trade out and there is no way I would buy another half dozen 3 carat stones just to do it. No matter how much I love diamond jewelry (who here doesn't?!), at some point there are diminishing returns and I would rather spend the money on any number of other things instead. If I wear it every day it's held to a different standard (authenticity) than the things that are fun to me. I wouldn't ever lie about something being fake but I wouldn't volunteer that it is fake anymore than I go around volunteering that my other one is real. People can assume whatever they want. It's not about them, it's about me. I want my primary pieces to be real and then I don't care.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1396504709|3646433 said:
Of course! I don't give a hoot. I'm a born magpie. If it's pretty I will wear it. Also the pesky fact remains that I do not have piles of disposable income set aside for REAL diamonds.

Me too, if it's pretty I'll wear it. CZ, moissanite, sterling silver, gold, costume stuff, whatever! Pretty jewelry doesn't have to be expensive.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep! But are they really fake diamonds or just nice pieces of costume jewellery? I'm well know among my husband's friends as being a bit of a magpie and to weddings last year I wore a wonderful rhinestone bracelet and huge ass paste earrings. Both weddings I was asked if those were real diamonds. No one thought that though except the couple of friends who weren't engaged, married, and had never been diamond shopping so weren't aware of what that would cost. The earrings were about 5 carats each and the bracelet would have totalled roughly 15 carats :)

But weddings are all about going big! I couldn't very well wear my most kickin' hat, highest heels, carry my largest clutch, and wear my dinky little diamond pieces. So yeah, I can bring myself to wear fake diamonds, but no one is honestly and actually convinced they are diamonds. They're just huge pieces of very shiny stones to rock (haha) when the occasion calls for it. I think nearly every woman I've ever seen at special occasions brings out the large costume pieces. A small diamond pendant to The Proms? I think not! Bring on the rhinestones, paste, and all other things that sparkle!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results