shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the difference between a diamond and a FCD?

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
I could be wrong here, but I was always told that a colored gem, even a diamond cannot every be graded as internally flawless, because the color tint in itself is considered a reduction in clarity, therefore the best grading any colored gem can be is VVS. It kinda makes sense too. In essence what is being implied there is that the color itself can be considered an inclusion that can and does take away from otherwise perfect clarity in a flawless diamond. Again, I dont know if that is 100% accurate, but I remember reading and hearing that more than once.

As far as what color grading is used to describe yellow, I am not sure of that. Obviously the higher you go up the alphabet the farther you move away from pure white, but I am not sure whether the higher letters denote yellow, brown, black, champagne, or what?

It would be interesting to know. I was under the impression that the colors of fancy colored diamonds are measured, graded or compared using a different method that doesnt involve the letter grading system.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
RedSpinel those are great questions and now I'm curious to know the answers too.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RedSpinel|1396723562|3647982 said:
I could be wrong here, but I was always told that a colored gem, even a diamond cannot every be graded as internally flawless, because the color tint in itself is considered a reduction in clarity, therefore the best grading any colored gem can be is VVS. It kinda makes sense too. In essence what is being implied there is that the color itself can be considered an inclusion that can and does take away from otherwise perfect clarity in a flawless diamond. Again, I dont know if that is 100% accurate, but I remember reading and hearing that more than once.

As far as what color grading is used to describe yellow, I am not sure of that. Obviously the higher you go up the alphabet the farther you move away from pure white, but I am not sure whether the higher letters denote yellow, brown, black, champagne, or what?

It would be interesting to know. I was under the impression that the colors of fancy colored diamonds are measured, graded or compared using a different method that doesnt involve the letter grading system.
With regards to the first point:if you're talking about diamonds, color and clarity are completely independent. Any color of diamond can be graded internally flawless by GIA.
If we talking about gemstones, they are not judged for clarity on a scale – therefore anyone advertising a colored gemstone, like a sapphire, having a VVS clarity, for example, is not speaking accurately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results