shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice to address concern on pending purchase

zerodefine

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Thankyou in advance for your help, assistance and patience. I really need some expert opinions or just opinions whether i should go ahead with this purchase. There's many factors of the ordeal that is slowly giving me concerns, perhaps i do not need to even worry about these things, but i though better to be careful and ask.

Currently i am about to buy a diamond from a local but reputable Sydney (AUS) store Gregory. The reason i chose this store is for my peace of mind really and that i do not want to pay a lot more for Cartier or Tiffany. For some reason, despite having 15 or so stores in the country the diamond that matches my criteria are being sourced right now by their gemologist overseas. Is this common? I have been sent this diamonds picture and its GIA report.

Looking at the report, i can see many many inclusions and looking at the 10x it seems to be easily spotted everywhere. Should a VS2 have this many types of inclusions and this many of them? The price is just within budget, but i am told that i have to pay half first to see the diamond, and if I decide not to take it, then i will not get the refund. The main reason why i went to the store in the first place is to be able to see what i am buying before buying it. Otherwise i would have bought it online.

Please find the specification and GIA report attached to this post. Should i go ahead with this purchase? God knows the future wife to be is picky with crazy surgical vision.

Overview: Round Brilliant, 2.01c, E Colour, VS2, Ex-Ex-Ex. Platinum Ring as per attached - Cartier design. Total Price $55000 AUS

Diamond:

GIA Report:

Ring:

Regards,
Brandon

_16465.jpg

gia_5.jpg

ring_122.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is normal.... isn't everywhere overseas for you? Heh... anyway, that sounds crazy expensive.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price they're quoting you is very high, and the 50%-down-no-refund policy is crazy. How much of an import duty hit would you take if you order from the U.S.? You could easily get a comparable stone for $10,000 - $15,000 less from one of the PS vendors. They could provide you with photos and their expert gemnologists' opinions re any inclusions. And beside, you could send stones back and forth a few times without making a sizeable dent in those savings!

ETA - I'd check with Good Old Gold or Engagement Rings Direct about options and prices for a comparable ring.

zerodefine

Rough_Rock
The jewelry designer at the store did say to me over the phone that i could get a non Store standard diamond for about 8K less. I suppose i'm paying for their brand which i'm fine with it. As mention, its for my own piece of mind really.

However to take their brand and standards of out the picture, with the full specs i've given and say 10k less, am i getting the right value? I am very concern with all those inclusions and so many type of them listed in the GIA report.

In regards to the tax its 10%. Also add the AU->US conversion rate which is give or take about $1000 ontop.

Thanks
Brandon

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Buy your diamond from the USA - you will get a much nicer stone for a lot less money even allowing for gst and shipping costs!

Better still, use an online vendor to find you a stone then hop on a plane and fetch it yourself - you'll still be way ahead of what you can get in Australia, you get a nice stone and a little mini holiday too!

Just my two cents worth!

:wavey:

thadanim

Rough_Rock
If you are about brands then buying from them is perfectly fine. You probably get a better stone from one of the vendors here and for much cheaper than even the 10k. You can even go pick up the stone personally and save the tax or even ship it and pay the tax and save loads. If you are fine paying 30% ONLY for the brand then you are good to buy from them (not commenting on the stone but just in general). Good luck.

zerodefine

Rough_Rock
Well, that ends it. Showed the GIA certificate and the picture to the misses and she said no....

Keep on shopping it is, i might do some calculation on buying from US and flying over to pick it up as well.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your GF concerned about inclusions that she might be able to see when she looks at her ring, or does she want the cleanest possible diamond whether or not she can see the inclusions? (BTW that's what we sometimes call a "mind-clean" stone - an extra degree of purity that you your mind might crave even if your eyes can't detect it.) Most people would not be able to see the inclusions in a GIA-certified VS2 stone with the naked eye at normal viewing distance, or even up-close without a loupe. That said, it's entirely possible that your GF can. Before you commit to buying a diamond with a higher clarity though, consider going to a store that will allow your girlfriend to compare diamonds with various color and clarity combinations in person. It's possible she'll find that she does want an F VS1 or better stone. It's also possible that she'll find that she can't see the difference between a VS1 and VS2, in which would give you a wider range of stones to choose from and some possible savings.

zerodefine

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice VR and everyone. We did however go to many many stores of various reputation over the last several months to the point where i was getting a headache from all the shine of the diamonds when looking at them. I think with her its a perception thing, where possibly the information she receive is creating certain perception of the diamond when she looks at them. Although she will never admit this lol. Regardless, its her rock, i don't want to argue too much about it.

I've looked at many other GIA certificates online of the diamonds with the similar specs and found that most did not have half as much inclusions on the table of the diamond as this one. Also i have compared to certificates from Cartier and Tiffany from a couple of friends and both has like 1 or 2 inclusions in them and they were both either vs1 or vs2 clarity. On top of that the inclusions were on the side rather than smack bang on the table.

Gonna give it a break for the time being and look again later this year. Thanks all.

Regards,
Brandon

Ferdi_the_yak

Rough_Rock
Hi Brandon,

I know you're taking a break from diamond purchasing, but I wanted to say that I'm glad you didn't go with Gregory's. I can't speak much on diamond quality/price (which has been adequately covered by other posters already), but the workmanship of the rings we looked at (solitaires, nothing fancy) was very ordinary, bordering on poor, in my opinion. The deal breaker was when the manager made fun of us wanting to get a platinum ring, going as far as to shove his (not very attractive) white gold ring in our face and telling us how much better white gold is. Then proceeded to tell us incorrect information about it (that polishing white gold will not remove gold weight for example).
We were also told any setting would cost "at least 2, possibly three times more" if we wanted platinum. Horrible service, we made a beeline out of there and would never go back!

Good luck to you when you resume your search!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you posted looks incredibly clean in the diamond image. The clarity plot on the GIA report is absolutely not even important when the stone is eyeclean (when magnified even!!!) and VS or higher. Did she reject the diamond from the magnified photo of the stone??? If she is rejecting based on a clarity plot, then you may as well start looking at VS1-VVS. But she is wrong to do that. People see the diamond and not the GIA report. And that diamond looks very clean.

Aside from that, the stone is crazy overpriced. The WhiteFlash stone posted is at least as good, if not superior (and it probably is) to the stone you posted. In fact, looking at the numbers, the WF stone is superior and faces up larger because it is not as deep. Someone said it would be about $41k AU, so even if you add the 10% tax, that is $45k and a savings of $10k!!!

I'd also like to suggest this F VS1 which should be mind clean for her because it has a very clean clarity plot with one tiny dot. It is $42,546 US with PriceScope discount and wire payment.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3009311.htm

We have custom ring makers here that can do a superior job on the setting as well.

zerodefine

Rough_Rock
Hi,

In regards to Gregory, i actually experienced the same thing as you from one of their stores in (Burwood) NSW a couple of months ago. This exact bad service and being looked down upon was probably because i looked like a bum in shorts and t-shirt. But i expected better treatment from their current assistant manager who when i have said i wanted the ring to look like cartier one, the response was, you should go buy a cartier and that the diamond i was asking for is "very" expensive in a dismissive tone.

Seen these types before and so i've done the usual revenge, went back in the following week during a weekday. Wore my bespoke 3 piece suit, wore my rolex, got served by the manager of the store. Told him my budget, his eyes popped, told him my spec, proceeded to waste his time. Finally told him that unfortunately i will not be buying from his store today but due to his great service i will look at the other branch in the city as i have received appalling treatment by his Assistant Manager and walked out.

In regards to the ring and diamond purchase, i will definitely be looking at online purchase, been coming up with ways to negotiate with the misses on letting me buy it from the US online. I''ll definitely keep the ones suggested from whiteflash in mind. If i do get the green light from her to go ahead with buying it online from US, then i think i will look at the 2.00c+ E, VS1, ex-ex-ex option as that is definitely well within budget and i know it will give her peace of mind to have all her imaginary boxes ticked.

However for the time being, i have too much going on right now to keep hunting, but thanks for the information guys. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Brandon

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
zerodefine|1396585125|3647122 said:
Hi,

In regards to Gregory, i actually experienced the same thing as you from one of their stores in (Burwood) NSW a couple of months ago. This exact bad service and being looked down upon was probably because i looked like a bum in shorts and t-shirt. But i expected better treatment from their current assistant manager who when i have said i wanted the ring to look like cartier one, the response was, you should go buy a cartier and that the diamond i was asking for is "very" expensive in a dismissive tone.

Seen these types before and so i've done the usual revenge, went back in the following week during a weekday. Wore my bespoke 3 piece suit, wore my rolex, got served by the manager of the store. Told him my budget, his eyes popped, told him my spec, proceeded to waste his time. Finally told him that unfortunately i will not be buying from his store today but due to his great service i will look at the other branch in the city as i have received appalling treatment by his Assistant Manager and walked out.

In regards to the ring and diamond purchase, i will definitely be looking at online purchase, been coming up with ways to negotiate with the misses on letting me buy it from the US online. I''ll definitely keep the ones suggested from whiteflash in mind. If i do get the green light from her to go ahead with buying it online from US, then i think i will look at the 2.00c+ E, VS1, ex-ex-ex option as that is definitely well within budget and i know it will give her peace of mind to have all her imaginary boxes ticked.

However for the time being, i have too much going on right now to keep hunting, but thanks for the information guys. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Brandon

If you decide not to go down the US route, I would talk to Cheryl from GP Israel's. They are based in the Sydney CBD and they are great. You can see the diamonds before committing to purchase. I have always been happy with my purchases there: http://www.gpisraeldiamonds.com.au/

Plenty of jewellers can make that setting. Gregory wouldn't be my jeweller of choice. They wouldn't even be in the top 10.

zerodefine

Rough_Rock
Could you please let me know your top ten AU list? I would like options to look in country and as mentioned before i will be looking at US as well.

Thanks,
Brandon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results