carat
color
clarity

Jeweler said my chryso was a....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Citrine.

I had a friend set my stone. I know, friend of a friend isnt a great idea.

I am content with the way it was set, thats not the problem. Im just wondering, my chryso isnt a citrine, right?

Its a finewater gem, and i dont think Gary would sell me something as something else. plus ive dropped it a few times :oops: and its fine, plus its distinctly greenish yellow.

Is it just because chrysos are uncommon in rural America? The guy said the jeweler who set it "tested" it, is there a test that exactly says "citrine" or just that its not a sapphire?

He made it seem like he was so sure "oh what did they sell it to you as" like i got swindled. But i really dont believe that.

Eye candy included.
uploadfromtaptalk1396469639701.jpg

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If that's a citrine, then I am a bunt cake.

I bet this is the a case of 1) Jeweler not being very knowledgeable about colored gemstones (which is nearly every jeweler) and 2) some kind of telephone-game style miscommunication from the jeweler to your friend.

If you want simple peace of mind, you might look at the depth of the gemstone--there's a fair chance that your chryso is shallow enough that were it a citrine, it would be windowed. But it is not windowed. Hence, not a citrine.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
that is, if Gary sent you the dimensions when you bought it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
corundum_conundrum|1396492450|3646303 said:
that is, if Gary sent you the dimensions when you bought it.

Im sure he did but ive long sense lost it. Like i said i believe him, I just was confused why a "test" would come back citrine, i mean isnt that a super soft stone? (admittedly i dont know) Maybe the refraction is similar?

The jeweler was my friends MIL. He was going on an on about how much she loved the cutting, so she tested it then took extra time to make sure not to chip it so she googled how to set a citrine special "

and i was like "its not'

hes like "yeah she tested it, what did they sell it it as "

and i got a twinge annoyed because he implied i was taken. But i didnt say anything because he did me a favor. But i thought maybe the "test" she did might not be all that specific. i mean if youre not TRYING to test for a chrysoberyl, is the normal run of the mill gemstone test going to come back and be like "oh yeah thats a chryso."

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep this chart from GemSelect bookmarked as it shows the refractive index and birefringence of over 100 gems, including chrysoberyl and citrine... http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/refractive-index.php - it also provides a concise explanation of RI (I can never keep it straight in my mind!). If it were me, I'd chalk it up as a mistake by the person who conducted the test, either misinterpreting the results and/or failing to conduct additional tests. Also, Gary Braun is a recognized expert in colored gemstones and though an assumption, I am guessing the people involved in setting your stone and testing your stone are not.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
If the color on my monitor is anywhere near right, I've never seen a citrine that shade. And ditto about Gary.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Neil,

I wouldn't think twice about the comment that you received. I had no clue that a thing called a chryso existed, let alone that it was a beautiful CS, before stumbling upon PS. From the little bit of correspondence that I have had with him, he's a very straightforward person, so I can't imagine that your chyso is a citrine - I've certainly never seen a citrine that color :) I have no clue whether there is a 'test' that could have been done before setting your stone, but I would just let the comment roll off my back.

That said - the ring turned out BEAUTIFULLY! So, I'd worry more about taking pretty pictures to share :appl: :appl: :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I won't think twice Haha.

Like I said I had no question about Gary's integrity or knowledge. I actually just bought another chryso from him.

I just was I guess taken aback by the mater of fact statement I got "oh yes its a citrine!"

I know little about citrines, though. So I came to you fine folks. :read:

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really like your ring and chrysoberyl.

The fact that the jeweler was googling how to set a citrine seems to be a good piece of evidence in favor of them not being a colored stone expert. I highly doubt they tested it with any rigor. The refractive index of chrysoberyl is much higher than citrine.

I think the jeweler is just not up on such a stone. Not her fault exactly, its just most jewelers are so focused on diamonds (thanks a lot, Debeers) that they don't know much about colored stones, and still less about the exotic ones.

I had a jeweler give me a long dissertation on zoning in sapphire. I told her politely that what we were looking at was called a window. She insisted this stone with 50% depth had an absence of color in the middle due to zoning. :lol:

Lovely stone--I'm sure your friend means well, he's just trying to defend his friend's knowledge, even though colored stones are not many jewelers' area of expertise.

Wear your beautiful ring in good health and happiness!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a jeweler, who was in the biz for 20+ years, think my citrine was a topaz. :???: It's really amazing how little some jewelers know.

Enjoy your chrysoberyl. ;))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a nice chryso. As said above, many jewelers (most?) aren't CS experts. They know corundum & diamonds, period. You can get some amazing misdiagnoses of what a stone is & many jewelers think they know more than they do, and that their customers know nothing (which is often true). No way would Gary sell you a citrine as a chryso, so love that beauty!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very common for most jewellers to know very little to nothing about gemstones. They often deal with only diamonds and the occasional blue sapphire. Spinel? They might think it has something to do with your backbone. Chrysoberyl is such a niche stone that I would be surprised if a jeweller knows what that is. If your stone is a citrine, then it's a rare colour as I've never seen one that is greenish yellow with such nice luster and dispersion. ;)) It is very easy to verify a chrysoberyl with a refractive index test. Any idea how he tested the stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1396526331|3646506 said:
It is very common for most jewellers to know very little to nothing about gemstones. They often deal with only diamonds and the occasional blue sapphire. Spinel? They might think it has something to do with your backbone.

I was at a mall store the other day, and I was wearing a violet spinel ring. The jeweler said, "I love your tanzanite." I told her it was a spinel, and she gave me a blank stare. LOL!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1396526331|3646506 said:
It is very common for most jewellers to know very little to nothing about gemstones. They often deal with only diamonds and the occasional blue sapphire. Spinel? They might think it has something to do with your backbone. Chrysoberyl is such a niche stone that I would be surprised if a jeweller knows what that is. If your stone is a citrine, then it's a rare colour as I've never seen one that is greenish yellow with such nice luster and dispersion. ;)) It is very easy to verify a chrysoberyl with a refractive index test. Any idea how he tested the stone?
Im not sure what they used to test the stone.

I didnt want to let on much of my knowledge about the subject. Not that i have a ton, but i didnt want to argue. I just told "nope im pretty sure its a chrysoberyl ", thanked him and went on my way. He probably still thinking i got taken by some ebay seller or something. :lol: :roll:

I should have just assumed people just arent familiar with less common stones. I did not think it was a citrine, or that Gary mislabeled it. Just curious how someone could do a test and come up with something very different.

The last chryso i brought in to have set, the person assumed it was a peridot.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1396527316|3646516 said:
The last chryso i brought in to have set, the person assumed it was a peridot.

I've noticed lots of jewelers confuse greenish chryso with peridot, and when you say "chrysoberyl," you get another blank stare.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I think it is more common for laypeople to mistake chrysoberyl as peridot since they've never heard of chrysoberyl.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The jeweler is an idiot. :rolleyes:

That's the thing about stupid people; they are so SURE of themselves. Smart people are smart enough to consider the possibility that they can be wrong. But after years of this, I've given up on that possibility, and you should too. Many people are just stupid and wrong, don't let them spook you. :)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It would be very simple and take 2 minutes to confirm it is not a citrine as long as the prongs on the setting do not extend above thwarting table. A refractive index measurement would separate chrysoberyl from citrine. Ask your jeweler if she has a refractometer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1396530846|3646543 said:
Smart people are smart enough to consider the possibility that they can be wrong.:)

One of the best quotes ever.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen greener citrine [but not the color of your stone]...
.but Gene has given excellent advice re refractometer question, iLander has offered up a sig worthy line re smart people, Chrono is absolutely right that the majority of jewelers know nada re color stones, and Gary probably has a record of the sale and I'm guessing would reassure you if you spoke with him.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie said:
I have seen greener citrine [but not the color of your stone]...
.but Gene has given excellent advice re refractometer question, iLander has offered up a sig worthy line re smart people, Chrono is absolutely right that the majority of jewelers know nada re color stones, and Gary probably has a record of the sale and I'm guessing would reassure you if you spoke with him.

I wouldn't wanna ask him just because I don't wanna make it sound like I do t believe him when I really do. Plus I just bought a Chryso from him and we were comparing it to the other i bought.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have send citrine in that color, I may even have some. BUT it isn't possible that Gary could have cut the stone thinking is was chrysoberyl and it was really quartz. The polishing prices he would have used wouldn't have worked on Quartz. Different stones cut differently, and polish much differently. With out even looking at the stone a cutter will be able to tell the stone by the feel of how it cuts very often.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally? I wouldn't worry about it!

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
The easiest way to find out is to call a few jewelers and find one that has a simple refractometer. It takes literally seconds to measure its refractive index. If its citrine it will have a different refractive index than chrysoberyl. However, I have a chrysoberyl that I did check with a refractometer, and I know for sure its a chrysoberyl. Its kinda greenish yellow BTW..... Thats a common color in chrysoberyl.

If you are going to be collecting gems, maybe make a $100-$200 investment into a refractometer. Its a small piece of equipment that usually comes with a case. Its easy to use too. I bought a cheaper one several years ago from a Chinese source for roughly $100, and it is spot on in its measurements. I have tested dozens of gems and its very accurate. The dimensions of refractometers are roughly 7" long by 2.5" wide by 3.5" high.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1396570727|3646945 said:
personally? I wouldn't worry about it!

Ha! Very true. Not worried. I know what it is. ::) doesn't matter if she does.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Redspinel, I think you got lucky with your $100 refractometer. I have heard a lot of very poor reviews on these inexpensive models. Mine is at the far other extreme, made in Germany and the price you paid plus another zero. But I can't afford to have any tools that are not spot on. I think somewhere in the middle there is range of good instruments.

But like I said above, the cutter certainly would have know if it was quartz when he went to polish the stone as the polish he would have used for chrysoberyl would not have worked on quartz.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1396573872|3646994 said:
Redspinel, I think you got lucky with your $100 refractometer. I have heard a lot of very poor reviews on these inexpensive models. Mine is at the far other extreme, made in Germany and the price you paid plus another zero. But I can't afford to have any tools that are not spot on. I think somewhere in the middle there is range of good instruments.

But like I said above, the cutter certainly would have know if it was quartz when he went to polish the stone as the polish he would have used for chrysoberyl would not have worked on quartz.

Thanks for your input. I hear what you're saying but I'm not going to ask Gary about it ask I know he knows its a Chryso. I see no reason to ask him. But I get what you're saying ... it wouldn't have gotten past the cutting process if it was a citrine masquerading in a chryso

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I said it in the "Showoffs" thread and I just had to say it again here - I love your ring :)) !

I have colored stones in my RHRs but not much variety because I'm just not familiar w/ much beyond blue sapphires, red rubies, green emeralds ... duh :(sad. So, in my quest to learn I've been lurking on CS and your introducing me to this beautiful chrysoberyl was such a treat!!!

Now I'm off to try to find a refractometer (as my husband rolls his eyes and laughs at me) .... LOL :D!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results