shape
carat
color
clarity

New er ring blues

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
I received my new upgrade er ring... I posted previously.... In the excitement of finally getting it I was excited, and it is beautifull... But within a day my sisters noticed that at certain angles/ light the diamonds in halo near prongs looked grey/ weird, the prongs were sharp, and the half moons were higher than my halo. Everyone kept asking HOW I ended up with a 3 stone ring when I was soooo specific that I wanted side stone look.

I went custom route because I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I felt a bit badgered into the final design ... The sales guy kept telling me the smaller half moons wouldn't look good... They couldn't find them..

I've attached the pics up close to see halo issue. I know a few people who have had some prong issues with this vendor.. Has anyone ever felt that they were badgered into the final design? I'm a little pissed at myself... I'm definitely not a wallflower personality.

_16516.jpg

_16517.jpg

_16518.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Your post was a little difficult to follow because some of the words are cut off, but based on the images, I know exactly what you're talking about. I do see that the diamonds on the halo, at the prongs, appear to be darker (especially the bottom left if you are looking at the ring straight on). I did not have this issue with my halo, but it was something that I addressed specifically with the vendor before my ring was made. I learned of that particular issue (with some rings, not all) from a member of this Forum, so thankfully, it was something that I knew to address at the very beginning of my process (had I not been told/shown here, it's not something that I would have even thought of myself). I even sent pictures of that particular issue to demonstrate my concerns and the vendor assured me that it would be addressed appropriately (and it most certainly was in my case - the diamonds in my halo turned out very uniform).
I'm sorry that you have an issue with an otherwise gorgeous ring. You need to contact the vendor. It's something that should be addressed because you shouldn't have to notice a flaw every time you look down at your ring….

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wendylynne|1396527742|3646523 said:
I received my new upgrade er ring... I posted previously.... In the excitement of finally getting it I was excited, and it is beautifull... But within a day my sisters noticed that at certain angles/ light the diamonds in halo near prongs looked grey/ weird, the prongs were sharp, and the half moons were higher than my halo. Everyone kept asking HOW I ended up with a 3 stone ring when I was soooo specific that I wanted side stone look.

I went custom route because I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I felt a bit badgered into the final design ... The sales guy kept telling me the smaller half moons wouldn't look good... They couldn't find them..

I've attached the pics up close to see halo issue. I know a few people who have had some prong issues with this vendor.. Has anyone ever felt that they were badgered into the final design? I'm a little pissed at myself... I'm definitely not a wallflower personality.

I think there is always "buyer's remorse" after you get the ring and the initial excitement is over. I've heard people on these forums say that, and I experience myself. I just got my ring yesterday and of course I'm so closely scrutinizing it that I've found several flaws in the setting that a normal human would never see =) . In my case. for now I can live with them[may have them worked on later], but I am not ready to give up my new ring so soon.
I think your ring is stunning, but if you are unhappy then whatever others think is not important! Maybe give it a day or too and see what other comments are. I hear your disappointment, but I'm sure all will be well.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1396533516|3646568 said:

I think there is always "buyer's remorse" after you get the ring and the initial excitement is over. I've heard people on these forums say that, and I experience myself. I just got my ring yesterday and of course I'm so closely scrutinizing it that I've found several flaws in the setting that a normal human would never see =) . In my case. for now I can live with them[may have them worked on later], but I am not ready to give up my new ring so soon.
I think your ring is stunning, but if you are unhappy then whatever others think is not important! Maybe give it a day or too and see what other comments are. I hear your disappointment, but I'm sure all will be well.

This doesn't sound like a case of buyer's remorse to me. The images clearly show a difference in the melee around the halo. If someone is creating a custom piece of jewelry, they shouldn't have to "live with" flaws on a product that they've designed in a specific manner (and paid for). Very minor things you could maybe accept (because variations do occur), but noticeable stuff should not be shrugged off.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
The prong/melee issue should be addressed with them. Your sisters' comment about it looking like a 3-stone surprises me. They look like side stones and are balanced against the huge size of the centre.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
i have spoken to the vendor and have shipped the ring back... they will fix the halo... we also discussed how the SIDE stones should have been tucked under the main halo... they are now telling me that this is probably going to be an issue and somehow my whole design may not be possible. there was somehow a misunderstanding on what exactly i wanted. Is there any trade individuals who can tell me if its possible to tuck the half-moons under the main halo? i wanted my oval stone with halo set higher than side stones half moon with halo around those on the outside. The salesman asked me how they would support the half moons>? Umm i have no idea since I'm not in the bus.

I'm now getting concerned concerned concerned.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I guess that I don't understand what you mean about the side stones? Do you have pictures of how you asked for the side stones to be? Your ring does not look like what I would consider a three-stone ring - to me, it clearly looks like a gorgeous center stone flanked by two side stones.
I also don't understand how you can be SO happy with your ring and now all of a sudden, you post as though it's completely not what you wanted? I understand your concern with the melee in the halo (which is a correctable flaw in my opinion), but I don't understand how you can now question the whole design? Does this have to do with your sisters making negative comments about it? Is there some other agenda with them (like some sibling rivalry) and now they've got you questioning the whole ring? I don't know, maybe I'm way off-base? I know that when I had my re-set done into a halo, one of my sisters made some joking comment about the large size and the "glare" coming off of the ring (in a sort of mean-spirited way) and I shrugged it off because I didn't want to make an issue out of it.
It just seems sad to me because you seemed to really, truly enjoy your ring, and you seemed to be pleased with the vendor. You initially said that you were incredibly pleased with both the craftsmanship and the quality and now you refer to your vendor as your "salesman" so it's clear that your feelings have changed. I understand your concerns and I'm certainly not trying to minimize them. The bottom line is that it's your ring and you should be happy with it, so I'm glad that you sent it back. However, I can't help but feel like you've allowed others to contribute to some negativity about the ring that might not otherwise exist. Please keep us updated on your ring and I truly do hope that it works out for you =)

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
im not using the vendors name so i used sales man ... because literally his title is director of sales- no disrespect meant. I still think its a beautiful ring, and i stand by the statement that the craftsmanship is excellent minus the halo issue which i hadn't seen at time of posting. My initial reaction was wow - beautiful and i was probably to hasty in my excitement to have my ring that i posted. The thing with custom design is even though you see cad, and had a plastic ring sent to me... it still doesn't show placement of stones and halos. My big hangup throughout this process was that i wanted a sidetone look and to get as close to my inspiration ring as possible.... think ritani endless three stone halo. The center stone is set higher than the sides, which are tucked in - i didn't get that. i didn't post anything negative regarding the vendor.. because i wanted the whole experience to play out prior to making any comments. I don't feel as though I've said anything negative just factual. They are responsive as said before.

As far as my sisters- they have far larger diamonds than i do, and god bless them cause i sure do enjoy looking at their bling show. They want to make sure I get what i wanted to and that i not settle because its easier. Many of the ladies on this forum are very blessed and can get multiple rings or resets. my husband is still probably choking on his left lung over this anniversary upgrade .. so i need to get it right.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wendylynne|1396541808|3646639 said:
im not using the vendors name so i used sales man ... because literally his title is director of sales- no disrespect meant. I still think its a beautiful ring, and i stand by the statement that the craftsmanship is excellent minus the halo issue which i hadn't seen at time of posting. My initial reaction was wow - beautiful and i was probably to hasty in my excitement to have my ring that i posted. The thing with custom design is even though you see cad, and had a plastic ring sent to me... it still doesn't show placement of stones and halos. My big hangup throughout this process was that i wanted a sidetone look and to get as close to my inspiration ring as possible.... think ritani endless three stone halo. The center stone is set higher than the sides, which are tucked in - i didn't get that. i didn't post anything negative regarding the vendor.. because i wanted the whole experience to play out prior to making any comments. I don't feel as though I've said anything negative just factual. They are responsive as said before.

As far as my sisters- they have far larger diamonds than i do, and god bless them cause i sure do enjoy looking at their bling show. They want to make sure I get what i wanted to and that i not settle because its easier. Many of the ladies on this forum are very blessed and can get multiple rings or resets. my husband is still probably choking on his left lung over this anniversary upgrade .. so i need to get it right.

I didn't say that you said anything negative about the vendor, so I'm not sure where that came from? Wanting to get your ring right, and spreading negativity about a specific vendor, are two different things entirely. In other words, it's okay to post concerns about your ring and/or vendor, which doesn't necessarily imply that you have negative feelings about them. As far as not referring to your vendor by name, you've already posted that in other threads, so I was simply pointing out the difference.
Also, just because your sisters have bigger bling, doesn't mean that there can't be some sibling rivalry there. Maybe they are used to having what they think is "better" and now that you have a gorgeous ring too, it has sparked some competitive feelings? Again, maybe I'm way off-base, but I'm just trying to understand your new frustration with your ring.
Anyway, I hope that your concerns are addressed and you get the ring of your dreams. Please do keep us posted because I am interested in how it plays out.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean about the melee, and it's great that the vendor is addressing that.

I looked at your thread on your ring and didn't see any profile pics - but I'm assuming your profile resembled this one from DBL, where all the stones are on the same level -

This is a kwiat oval with halfmoons halo ring, and a little hard to tell from the pic but the side stones are tucked under a little- is this more what you were going for?

Here is a pic of the Ritani endless love ring -

I'm sorry you are not entirely happy with your ring - looks like it would have to be remade to get it looking the way you want - FWIW I see your ring more as a ring with sidestones as opposed to a 3 stone, and I think the half moons are in proportion to your center stone - I'm not that well-versed in custom work, not sure what your options are at this point, sounds like the vendor is willing to work with you; I guess this gets a little tricky because you did approve the design - I'm sure others will be along to offer more advice/opinions. I do think your ring is gorgeous! :halo:

17711v_side.jpg

r4315handb.jpg

1286560417_1rz1702eerp-300x300.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I love your ring and the design looks lovely to me. I do see what you mean about the stones near prongs in
the halo. When you designed the ring did you show them a picture of the endless love withe the side halos sort of
tucked under the center? I think that fix would require a redo of your setting.

I really think your ring is beautiful but you're the one who really needs to feel that way. Keep us posted!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,
I have a feeling that the diamond melee by the prongs look darker/grey because the prongs are blocking the light getting to them and/or overshadowing them. I am pretty positive they would used the same quality melee throughout the ring, so that is my guess on why this is happening.

When you first got the ring, did you love it? Did you already have doubts or are you only doubting the ring after a few people said something to you? I think sometimes people say things negatively out of envy. I am not saying that is going on with those you mentioned who looked at your ring, but a lot of people can be snarky, especially when you show them a new piece of jewelry.

Here on PS we understand, but in the real world, no one can quite understand our diamond obsession. I've learned that I can't tell someone about any new piece I get because they won't understand this hobby of mine.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Butterfly17 - here is a profile image from OPs previous thread (this is the CAD images for this particular ring). After seeing the additional images that you posted, now I think I understand what OP means about the sides stones being tucked under slightly. However, based on the CAD images that she received, that was clearly not the case and if those CADs were approved as such, then I wouldn't have expectations that a vendor would re-create the ring.

_15566-2.jpg

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
Junebug - YOU GET IT!!!! yeah, someone understands ! thank god.. i meant to write ritani triple! you have the right pics of what my ring from that view looks like vs. what i wanted.

heres a photo of the ritani that i was thinking of:

ritani_side.png

rutani_front.png

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sharp prongs are nice, it is more work than the regular kind.

I wouldn't go smaller on the sides, either. I think it looks very nice.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
momhappy,

i hear you on what you are saying about CADS. In my defense.. the cad doesn't show the main halo around the oval being smaller than the side stones.... I spoke with the vendors/salesman about the general look- (trust me i was obsessed with it being a side stone look). I assumed that the half-moons would be set inside the baskets on the sides and not sitting flush. Thus creating a step down from the center stone look. The salesman/vendor asked me today how that look is achievable- they have never done that ( oy the miscommunication is epic )- so now I am on the hunt to get it nailed down.

Does this make any sense?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wendylynne|1396546075|3646692 said:
momhappy,

i hear you on what you are saying about CADS. In my defense.. the cad doesn't show the main halo around the oval being smaller than the side stones.... I spoke with the vendors/salesman about the general look- (trust me i was obsessed with it being a side stone look). I assumed that the half-moons would be set inside the baskets on the sides and not sitting flush. Thus creating a step down from the center stone look. The salesman/vendor asked me today how that look is achievable- they have never done that ( oy the miscommunication is epic )- so now I am on the hunt to get it nailed down.

Does this make any sense?

Yes, it makes sense and I posted previously (after butterfly posted the ring images) that I understand the design differences. However, I don't see any updated CAD images that you posted? Did you approve the CADs that you posted in your previous thread (the ones that contained the profile shot that I posted above)? It would seem to me (especially after having worked with the same vendor), that since the design difference was so vast, additional CADs would have been needed to update the changes that you requested. If you only mentioned something to the vendor and approved the CADs, then I wouldn't exactly call that a miscommunication - I would call it a lack of expression and/or clarity (on your part) when it came to the actual design of the ring. Did you share any images (like the ones that butterfly posted) with the vendor to express your needs/wants? I guess that my point in all of this is that it seems to me like you weren't clear enough about your wants/needs, which is sort of evident when you mentioned that you "assumed" that the half moos would be set inside the basket - you may have assumed as such, but the vendor may have assumed that the ring on the CAD, was the ring you desired. I don't want to sound insensitive and I completely understand how frustrating and difficult it can be to customize a ring because I've been there. I suppose it could be that the vendor did not follow through with your wishes about the side stones, but again, I would have requested CADs to reflect the changes that I requested because the design elements were so different.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This doesn't sound like a miscommunication - it sounds like you did not communicate clearly what you wanted. Honestly, I can't follow what you want either from your posts. I'd try to find as many pictures as I could to demonstrate the visual elements you are looking for to send to ERD.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[/quote]

This doesn't sound like a case of buyer's remorse to me. The images clearly show a difference in the melee around the halo. If someone is creating a custom piece of jewelry, they shouldn't have to "live with" flaws on a product that they've designed in a specific manner (and paid for). Very minor things you could maybe accept (because variations do occur), but noticeable stuff should not be shrugged off.[/quote]

I certainly agree. From where I was coming from, she loved the ring until her sisters saw it. I thought it was beautiful. I was trying to be kind and hoped it would help make things less stressful for her. I know how it can be when you are unhappy with something. It isn't fun.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmianne said:
I think there is always "buyer's remorse" after you get the ring and the initial excitement is over. I've heard people on these forums say that, and I experience myself. I just got my ring yesterday and of course I'm so closely scrutinizing it that I've found several flaws in the setting that a normal human would never see =) .
Not for me thank goodness! I got my rings on Tuesday from High Performance Diamonds and they FAR exceeded my expectations! I am super finicky extraordinaire - and received flawless products. My fiance and I have inspected them in various lighting situations with a loupe to find something, anything, to gripe about. And there is nothing.
:appl:

Wendy, I think the claws on your ring are beautiful! I think the side stones are the right size to be seriously impactful. I really hope you get it worked out to your liking, but like liaerfbv said, your posts are a little hard to follow. You know what they say - a picture is worth a thousand words - and even more in this case! ;))

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyinAnaheim|1396551686|3646762 said:
Jimmianne said:
I think there is always "buyer's remorse" after you get the ring and the initial excitement is over. I've heard people on these forums say that, and I experience myself. I just got my ring yesterday and of course I'm so closely scrutinizing it that I've found several flaws in the setting that a normal human would never see =) .
Not for me thank goodness! I got my rings on Tuesday from High Performance Diamonds and they FAR exceeded my expectations! I am super finicky extraordinaire - and received flawless products. My fiance and I have inspected them in various lighting situations with a loupe to find something, anything, to gripe about. And there is nothing.
:appl:

yea!! That's Wink for ya. The most problematic thing for me has been diamonds not being super-perfectly-level in a thin wire basket. It's happen enough that I wonder if thin wire basket settings are a challenge.
Of course my last one was set locally and I knew better but was impatient and ever hopeful :lol:
Congrats on your ring!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone is not set right at the edge of the basket it is set above. It's a good thing. It's allowing more light into my stone. And Steven specifically set it that way so that my stone appears very bright and is getting the maximum light it can. Fancy diamonds are not round. They need and take in light from places other than the crown.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pointy prongs, as your friends called them, are high end and hard to do. They are suppose to be more visually pleasing. Though that doesn't mean they are for you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry that you're having second thoughts about your new ring. ::) I know what you mean about having the side stones "tucked under" the center halo. However, I truly think your ring looks amazing and the proportions are very flattering to that gorgeous oval. IMO, smaller side stones would throw off the aesthetic, making it look odd -- but then again, that's just my personal preference. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is gorgeous, and it apparently was made exactly like the CAD's that were posted. I am not even sure about the melee issue due to lighting. It is hard to tell with just one picture.

I think the proportions are perfect! The side stones are exactly right for your center stone! The prongs are exactly what 99% of people here on PS are after! I think maybe the problem is that your sisters are limited in the amount of custom work they have seen! Maybe they are more familiar with Tiffany style prongs..but you know what? I have those on my Tiffany repro solitaire, but I sure as heck wouldn't put them on your ring!!! Claw prongs are perfect for your ring! I am sorry people cast doubt in your mind, because the ring looks great to me, other than the halo melee needs to be checked.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
I said the prongs are sharp ( literally) they scratched my 4 yr old when he leaned against me. I know that they are preferred I requested them, had them on my last ring... They need a bit of buffing.

Someone commented that my sisters may not be familiar with high end custom rings... One has a ring from Graff the other Harry Winston they are familiar. Multiple people commented my sisters may be jealose??? Really? We are a pretty supportive family and only want the best for each other... I have to say I was a bit taken aback by these comments.

I would share the entire process of ordering this ring and how I ended up where I am today... But i realize that the point is moot. You are all going to attack me either way.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever felt that they were badgered into the final design? I'm a little pissed at myself... I'm definitely not a wallflower personality.

Hey there, I don't think anyone is out to attack you. I think it's that you were so glowingly happy about your ring and said it was well made, and now you are very unhappy after your sisters pointed out some details. It's just surprising and the objective is to help you articulate what you want to fix.

I'm working with the Director of Sales from ERD now, and can say I've been a pain to deal with and indecisive. He has been shockingly professional and courteous and patient and has addressed every question and detail, succinctly and quite immediately. I don't at all feel badgered, but I have ensured I have articulated all the details I want and pointed out specifics that need to be changed in the CADS. It sounds like you felt badgered as he tried to explain the technical constraints of what you are trying to do, and he was honest that he hasn't done a setting like that before. That's the fair and right thing to do. Did you dig up a photo to show him the profile ypu wanted?

I hope you are happy with the end result.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your ring. Do you think perhaps doing the setting without any halos would help? Another pricescoper had a 2 ct oval and set it with half moons . The half moons were set back like I think you would like and ofcourse the claws could be made less pointy. I think the proportions of your half moons look nice with your oval so I hope you won't change it for a smaller size but maybe this might make it look less like a three stone ring to you?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ready-or-not.54834/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ready-or-not.54834/[/URL]

_16537.jpg

_16538.jpg

_16539.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I should not have assumed your dissatisfaction came about once your sisters made comments. I just found the thread where you posted the ring and you were thrilled with it. It is a gorgeous ring, seriously! What happened to change your mind? I have never worked with ERD and have no particular reason to side with them over you. I agree that if there is something that needs to be polished or a melee stone that isn't right, those things can and should be fixed. But I think it looks like an impressive ring visually. I am pretty blunt, and I'd tell you if I thought there was something wrong with it visually.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results