shape
carat
color
clarity

how big should this centre stone be?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I've decided I would like to buy an amethyst, and if you' recall I've wanted it set in a three stone with trillion sides.

but since I saw mary kate olsen's ring on pricescope, I've completely abandoned that idea. there's something about this design that really speaks to me - which is weird, because I don't really like ornate anything.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/mar...h-new-celebrity-engagement-ring-your-favorite

I have an idea to set this in silver, with three of those twisted shanks (instead of five), a purple centre and maybe tsavorite-type dark green in the inner circle, and then a light pink/purple/white on the outer circle? what do you think?

but more importantly, I would like to buy an ammy because I feel like owning one, even if I might not set it for a while. what kind of size do you think I should go for? I'm tending to be greedy because ammys are pretty inexpensive. it says mary kate's centre stone is 4ct, so I'm estimating 1cm.

up or down?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonya,
The biggest challenge you will face in this ring design is finding a parcel of dark green stones that will fit well in a circular pattern. If you look closely at the original ring, it looks like each accent sapphire was cut to fit; they are not rectangular but trapezoidal. You can use rectangles but the fit will not look as nice with gaps at the top of circle that not only collects dirt and grime but may not be as durable since they aren't flush next to the next stone on either side.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
Sonya,
The biggest challenge you will face in this ring design is finding a parcel of dark green stones that will fit well in a circular pattern. If you look closely at the original ring, it looks like each accent sapphire was cut to fit; they are not rectangular but trapezoidal. You can use rectangles but the fit will not look as nice with gaps at the top of circle that not only collects dirt and grime but may not be as durable since they aren't flush next to the next stone on either side.

Chrono, I did wonder about that. what about a bezel set halo with round stones instead, which I guess will be easier to find. do you think it will detract from the look very much?

also, have a look at this http://www.etsy.com/listing/122011287/rose-cut-moissanite-and-channel-set. it's very similar to the top-view, but this design will collect dirt in the gaps as well, yes?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Channel set using rounds in a halo is a very "gappy" look, rather than a circle of continuous colour. In addition, workmanship becomes even more important for channel settings; if the jeweller cuts a long groove instead of making individual seats to save time, the stones are less secure and will pop out of the setting over time. It is very costly to fix missing melee in channel settings.

pearlsirish21

Rough_Rock
I've decided I would like to buy an amethyst, and if you' recall I've wanted it set in a three stone with trillion sides.

but since I saw mary kate olsen's ring on pricescope, I've completely abandoned that idea. there's something about this design that really speaks to me - which is weird, because I don't really like ornate anything.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/mar...h-new-celebrity-engagement-ring-your-favorite

I'm a big fan of her ring as well : ) Have you ever seen one out there that was super similar? I've been trying to find one and haven't seen any that are really similar yet. I'm not sure how to search for this type of ring to be honest!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results