shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help for BB spess garnet

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My first quality CS, it's so exciting! My dh got this for me for Christmas. I bought it pre-loved, and need help setting it. I would much prefer to set it in white gold, but would it do the color injustice? Should I consider rose or yellow? I have some ideas and would love any and all input. Pics to come in a separate post.

My dh and I both went to undergrad and grad school at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are partial to orange and blue. :) I have been thinking about how to set this as a tribute to our Illini history. But I want to show off the stone the best, so I don't have to do the orange and blue... just "thinking out loud" here.

Idea 1: JA cable solitaire in white gold (do they make it in rose gold?) with a DZ band with sapph/dia bezel. I would wear the rings together or separate, stack stack stack over the years (oh, who am I kidding--months!), mix and match--it would be fun! I have been wanting a round bezel eternity similar to this for years, and DZ's is almost too economical to say no to...

JA cable solitaire:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-cable-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-9315

DZ sapph/diamond band:

http://www.diamondzonejewelry.com/jewelry-collection/diamond-rings/anniversary-wedding-bands/bezel-blue-sapphire-diamond-14k-eternity-wedding-band.html

Rose gold cable solitaire and white gold DZ band? I'm not sure how that would look... white gold for both? I really prefer not to do the DZ band in rose gold on the days I want to add that one to my wedding stack. :naughty:

Idea #2: set it as a three-stone ring in a setting I already have (bought last month off of pre-loved). :love: It's a Cartier repro. It's white gold and was sold to me as fitting a 7.4 mm center stone and 5mm side stones. The BB stone is 7.4 x 6.3, so I'm not sure if it's even an option. There are delicate claw prongs. I will include pics of the spess sitting in the setting. I could do sapph side stones if I can find a decent matched pair that is affordable. Diamonds are out right now, but I could save up if people feel like that's the way to go....

Okay, pics to come-- I would love any other ideas people have for this beautiful stone!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some pics!

_13073.jpg

_13074.jpg

_13075.jpg

_13076.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A fun shot on Christmas morning of dh in his new Bears t-shirt. Nice color reference for the Illini colors. :)

_13077.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would do the solitaire and matching band combo; I think it would be a fun look for game days!

And, of course, the spess is gorgeous!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks about the spess, IndyLady--Minou helped me understand it was the color I was looking for (she had owned it before the seller).

I will be in Chicago in a few days--I think I will make an appointment at DZ to see that band with my sister! :) Fun!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a bit confused...from your pics the stone almost looks dark red - is it? I thought the stone we were referring to was a pretty strongly saturated, slightly reddish ORANGE Barry Bridgestock stone? If its the stone I think it is (and I admittedly don't remember so well any more), then it will look great in any color, but my preference would probably be white metal. I also think that his cutting is so magnificent that it would be hard to make it the center of a three stone ring, unless the other stones were similarly well cut (honestly, doubtful). I'll await your response before I say some more and put my foot in it! :oops:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the question, Minou--still getting to know this stone and finding its best light to showcase color. Here are a few shots with no indoor lighting, near a window. My daughters' Christmas dresses provide two backdrops. :) Whatever color it is, I love it! You make a great point about the three stone... I hadn't thought of how the stones would have to compete. I took a photo with my son's red sweatshirt, also, and tried to show the "OPI RED" Christmas mani for an orange/red comparison...

_13109.jpg

_13110.jpg

_13111.jpg

_13112.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking at it again next to that blue dress, I think it would look so pretty next to little sapphs! Do you think if they're small enough, they won't compete cut-wise with the spess?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can find two matching stones, I thin blue sapphires would look amazing with it!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I ordered the DZ sapph/dia teensy stacking band last week... My sister and I made an appointment just before the new year--it should arrive in the next couple of days! Still looking for a solitaire setting for the spess garnet... I do love that JA cable look. Looking to order in the next month. The DZ sapphs are darker IRL than the pictures (I expected as much), and I actually do like that, because the Illini blue is a navy-ish color... much more inky than the premium sapphire color. I will post pics here when it arrives!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I started a SMTB thread (my first!), the BB spess garnet is a co-star in the thread. :love: I thought I would update with what I finally decided!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pawn-shop-reset-rg-diamond-pendant-and-bb-spess-garnet-ring.200369/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pawn-shop-reset-rg-diamond-pendant-and-bb-spess-garnet-ring.200369/[/URL]

Thanks to all for the help in shopping for a stone, and also ideas for setting it. I have a feeling this is the first of many more adventures!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it turned out great...and looks fab on your finger! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results