shape
carat
color
clarity

Which gems are closest to becoming impossible to find?

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
If you listen to the colored gem dealers out there, either on the web or TV, or even in your local jewelry store, you'd think that many, many different gemstones are darn near extinction! I remember first watching the Gem Shopping network back in 2003, 11 years ago, and although they were selling a lot of the truly top quality, pure blue, certified unheated tanzanites, they were claiming that the mine where they came from was pretty much mined out(D block). You would have assumed that true blue tanzanites were within a few weeks of becoming extinct. Then, a few years later, I was still hearing dealers talking about how D block was almost mined out.

Just in the last few weeks I have heard that several other popular gem mines are either mined out already, or are very close to being mined out. Obviously dealers want to sell their products, and its easier to sell rare items if they can convince us that they are actually rarer than they really are. If you have your heart set on a certain type of gem, and you think that you wont be able to get that stone if you wait, then you will be more likely to buy it now, often for a higher price. because if you wait it may not be available, and if it is, it may be more expensive!

Obviously there is a limited amount of resources in the earth, and eventually each mine will run dry, just like a coal mine or oil well will be depleted in time. But how do we find the truth as to which gem mines truly are close to being mined out, and which ones have already been depleted?

Another important aspect of this subject are new sources. Just because one mine runs dry, doesnt mean they wont ever find a new source. It seems relatively common that new sources for certain gems are being found. Look at Welo opals for instance. Or Songea sapphires. There are supposedly new sources of gems in Afghanistan that arent yet being mined, or not to the full potential. I remember when there was but one source for mandarin garnets, then it was mined out, and another new source found in Africa.

The questions are: 1. Which gems are truly close to becoming near impossible to find due to mines being depletes? 2. With all the new high technology being used for geological purposes, are we likely to see many new sources of gems being found, or have they already searched all the likely places, leading to declines in new mines of all varieties in the near future?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RedSpinel|1396371630|3645112 said:
If you listen to the colored gem dealers out there, either on the web or TV, or even in your local jewelry store, you'd think that many, many different gemstones are darn near extinction! I remember first watching the Gem Shopping network back in 2003, 11 years ago, and although they were selling a lot of the truly top quality, pure blue, certified unheated tanzanites, they were claiming that the mine where they came from was pretty much mined out(D block). You would have assumed that true blue tanzanites were within a few weeks of becoming extinct. Then, a few years later, I was still hearing dealers talking about how D block was almost mined out.

Just in the last few weeks I have heard that several other popular gem mines are either mined out already, or are very close to being mined out. Obviously dealers want to sell their products, and its easier to sell rare items if they can convince us that they are actually rarer than they really are. If you have your heart set on a certain type of gem, and you think that you wont be able to get that stone if you wait, then you will be more likely to buy it now, often for a higher price. because if you wait it may not be available, and if it is, it may be more expensive!

Obviously there is a limited amount of resources in the earth, and eventually each mine will run dry, just like a coal mine or oil well will be depleted in time. But how do we find the truth as to which gem mines truly are close to being mined out, and which ones have already been depleted?

Another important aspect of this subject are new sources. Just because one mine runs dry, doesnt mean they wont ever find a new source. It seems relatively common that new sources for certain gems are being found. Look at Welo opals for instance. Or Songea sapphires. There are supposedly new sources of gems in Afghanistan that arent yet being mined, or not to the full potential. I remember when there was but one source for mandarin garnets, then it was mined out, and another new source found in Africa.

The questions are: 1. Which gems are truly close to becoming near impossible to find due to mines being depletes? 2. With all the new high technology being used for geological purposes, are we likely to see many new sources of gems being found, or have they already searched all the likely places, leading to declines in new mines of all varieties in the near future?

LOL about the "tanzanite mines drying out." Every major television network retailer has used that line for the last 20 years or so, and still, the mines are not "dried out." :roll:

In the last few years, I've noticed that truly fine Mahenge spinels are really "drying up" and most of what is touted as Mahenge is very orangey, brownish, very purple and/or extinct, and definitely extremely included.

I think there will always be some new source of gems. I mean, we're only looking in the top upper portion of the Earth's crust for most of these, and yes, with better technology who knows what else we'll find here on earth, and elsewhere. ;))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting question.

I've always wondered if some gems considered extremely rare, (like true Paraiba tourmaline and fine red beryl), are really *that* rare or if it's just trickled into the market to maximize profit. Same with red FCDs or even FCDs in general.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Bixbite. The mine in Utah closed years ago and although it's believed there may still be some left in the deposit, I believe it's not cost effective to re-open. Typically the Bixbite (not to be confused with Pezzottaite) on the market is small and highly included.

2. Paraiba Tourmaline (Brazilian origin). Although it is possible to still buy this, excellent quality stones are now very rare and when they are available they cost the earth, so out of the reach of most mere mortals. This is a complete contrast to 15-20 years ago when you could pick up excellent gemstones at very reasonable prices.

3. Alexandrite. Although there are small pockets of mining going on at the moment, the quality available on the market today is not there. Poor quality stones are easy to find but that's because people don't want them! As for genuine Russian Alexandrite - forget it. So little was mined initially that it's virtually impossible to find now (although you'll see lots being sold as "Russian" it almost never is).

4. Neon pink/red Mahenge Spinel. Incredibly difficult to find a stone with the "neonicity" that this particular find was famed for.

5. Blue Garnet. Can still be found but is difficult to source and it can be clarity challenged.

6. Pezzottaite. Although this can still be bought, the price per carat is very high for good specimens.

7. Taaffeite. Good specimens are hard to find and can be very costly.

8. Benitoite. Like Taaffeite this has never been mined in huge quantities but it's easier to find than Taaffeite. However, specimens are normally small.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a difficult question to answer. Many gems can still be found but good ones are getting increasing scarce yet available if you have deep pockets. How do you define "impossible to find"? Must it be a certain size and facetable?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I do believe that with a very large budget everything will always be up for acquisition!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1396377796|3645202 said:
I do believe that with a very large budget everything will always be up for acquisition!

Yes, but you can't buy a ten carat fancy colored red diamond. Some things are nearly impossible to find, even if you're Laurence Graff or some Saudi Prince.

I remember reading how long it took Richard Burton to find the ruby for this ring.

elizabeth-taylor-collection-van-cleef-ruby-ring-2.jpg

Some things may be possible to find, but it could also take years to find them, even with a huge budget and the finest gem and jewelry houses at your beck and call.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would still love to find my perfect, round Namibian Fanta spess, as I missed the find back when... :blackeye:

aaronl

Rough_Rock
If we ever find a way to collect them, we can find some amazing gemstones in space. Some are a bit big to wear, perhaps....

As we develop technologies to recover minerals from the deep ocean, I would not be surprised if we see some incredible deep sea gemstones.

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
aaronl|1396384878|3645303 said:
If we ever find a way to collect them, we can find some amazing gemstones in space. Some are a bit big to wear, perhaps....

As we develop technologies to recover minerals from the deep ocean, I would not be surprised if we see some incredible deep sea gemstones.

I didnt even think of that^. They mine gold in the ocean, and even diamonds from what I understand, and what once was land may now be ocean, as what once was ocean is now land. About 75% of the planet is ocean, so why wouldnt there be gemstones under it? I am surprised that never occurred to me(colored gems under the ocean).

**LD: I think Bixbite( red beryl) has always been extremely rare as its only found in one or two spots in the same area of Utah. Its one of my favorite red gems. I absolutely love its color in nice stones! Its a shame its so rare and only generally found in really small sizes for lots of money. There is a local jeweler where I had my star sapphire mounted into a ring I bought from them, and he had a .5ct red beryl for like $2,000. It wasnt even all that nice and was somewhat included(as most are). I was just surprised that A. they had one, and B. they knew what red beryl was!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RedSpinel|1396409877|3645574 said:
aaronl|1396384878|3645303 said:

I didnt even think of that^. They mine gold in the ocean, and even diamonds from what I understand, and what once was land may now be ocean, as what once was ocean is now land. About 75% of the planet is ocean, so why wouldnt there be gemstones under it? I am surprised that never occurred to me(colored gems under the ocean).

**LD: I think Bixbite( red beryl) has always been extremely rare as its only found in one or two spots in the same area of Utah. Its one of my favorite red gems. I absolutely love its color in nice stones! Its a shame its so rare and only generally found in really small sizes for lots of money. There is a local jeweler where I had my star sapphire mounted into a ring I bought from them, and he had a .5ct red beryl for like $2,000. It wasnt even all that nice and was somewhat included(as most are). I was just surprised that A. they had one, and B. they knew what red beryl was!

I think Bixbite has always been more well known in the US than elsewhere (possibly because it's a "local" gemstone). I own a few pieces but not anything very big unfortunately. BTW I didn't use the term "red beryl" because although it can be used when describing Bixbite it's unfortunately often used incorrectly in many instances - for example when selling Pezzottaite and there's another gem that I can't recall the correct name of.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peridot has been found in space so who knows what else is out there. :cheeky:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1396438711|3645719 said:

There is one exoplanet that rains liquid corundum, and when a star ends it life, it's core can become crystallized carbon (don't tell DeBeers, I'm sure they'll claim those too).

There's definitely a lot of precious metal out there, among the asteroids and other planets as well. In fact, they say most of the iridium found on this planet was deposited here when a huge asteroid hit the earth. We cannot get to many of the valuable metals and gems because many form form below the Earth's crust. In fact the only reason we can get the diamonds we do have is because they are shot up through to the Earth's upper layers via ancient volcanism.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, was about to post about the diamond planet!

TL said:
Chrono|1396438711|3645719 said:

There is one exoplanet that rains liquid corundum, and when a star ends it life, it's core can become crystallized carbon (don't tell DeBeers, I'm sure they'll claim those too).

There's definitely a lot of precious metal out there, among the asteroids and other planets as well. In fact, they say most of the iridium found on this planet was deposited here when a huge asteroid hit the earth. We cannot get to many of the valuable metals and gems because many form form below the Earth's crust. In fact the only reason we can get the diamonds we do have is because they are shot up through to the Earth's upper layers via ancient volcanism.

That's remarkable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results