shape
carat
color
clarity

How much will clarity affect the brilliance?

Budo

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am looking for an engagement ring and found 2 interesting diamonds:
Both are 1ct with color H and are GIA certified.

Diamond 1-> Clarity: VVS2, Cut: Very Good
Diamond 2 -> Clarity: S1 (Eye-Clean), Cut: Ideal

I know that cut is the most important "C" of diamonds and that it affects the brilliance. So an ideal cut would be the best but can the low clarity of SI1 affect the brilliance? In that case I would take the first diamond where I have a very good cut but the good clarity would definitely not affect the brilliance.

Which one would you prefer?

Budo

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
We've had a few discussions on that. It depends on what and where the inclusions are, especially the grade setting ones.

Clouds, if scattered throughout the stone, will scatter light and reduce brilliance and transparency. Same for certain instances of internal graining, twinning wisps, and feathers. And also strong fluorescence. See what inclusions are listed at the top of the list on the report, because those set the clarity grade. An SI1 that's hazy throughout will look slightly dirty/hazy all the time. One that's clean except for one small dark crystal will look clear with a spec. Depends on the type of inclusions. Beware of any report that says "Additional clouds not shown." You need to ask the vendor "how eyeclean is it and at what range / angle / lighting conditions. I look at the ASET and Idealscope images to see if inclusions show up there, because then you know they are blocking the light somehow.

One or two smaller clouds might not be a problem.

VVS and VS clarities should not be much issue, except (I suppose, but experts will *know*) if clouds are what set the clarity grade. I suspect clouds all throughout the diamond might still have an adverse affect, but it might not be as readily apparent except, maybe if you compared it to a diamond that didn't have that problem.

Post the report numbers and /or links to them. But reserve the stones first if they are online because lurkers might buy them out from under you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are far more than 2 diamonds in the world! Limit your search to GIA Excellent and AGS Ideal only. And some GIA EX are much better than others. Just eliminate the vg cut one and start your search again. I prefer VS clarity, personally, but I never sacrifice cut.

Budo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your tips!

Currently it is not possible to reserve the stones but that´s no problem, I looked at the certificates of them. Like TC1987 said, the SI1 has the comment" Additional clouds are not shown". What does that mean?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Budo|1396360696|3644968 said:
Thanks for your tips!

Currently it is not possible to reserve the stones but that´s no problem, I looked at the certificates of them. Like TC1987 said, the SI1 has the comment" Additional clouds are not shown". What does that mean?

The plot on a lab report will not necessarily include all characteristics contained in a diamond. It is common to see notations under 'Comments' about other features not shown on the plot, particularly on Si1 and below. The guiding principle on plotting is to include enough features to be able to positively identify the stone and to support the clarity grade.

Clarity features can sometimes impact light performance, so it is important with Si diamonds to satisfy yourself that it meets your expectations. Most of the Si1 stones we see (AGS/GIA) with the "clouds not shown" comment that have no visual problem. The chance of compromised light performance is far greater in Si stones with the comment "clarity grade based on clouds".

Another thing to look for is the order of characteristics listed under Keys to Symbols. They are listed in order of impact. For instance, a report that has crystal and feather under Keys and "additional clouds" under comments would indicate that the clouds are a relatively minor factor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results