shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for yellow sapphire for engagement ring, please help

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Re: looking for yellow sapphire for engagement ring, please

Congratulations on your choice! I've had great experiences on working with Marc (although on smaller projects).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

periwinklegirl|1395273052|3637605 said:
Congratulations on your choice! I've had great experiences on working with Marc (although on smaller projects).

have you done a setting with him? I'm not sure I've ever seen a setting by him.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock

fmartin5|1395260013|3637478 said:
Hi Swissmiss! that is what i wanted to hear!! :appl: is victor the person who designs settings for africagems? whats considered an appropriate price for a setting as it pertains to this gem? thank you for helping

Glad to help! Victor is based in downtown LA and is not associated with AfricaGems. You will have to contact him directly to get an estimate. My recollection (from a while ago) was that a Emilya-style halo would be around $4,500-$5,000 depending on the options you chose. That estimate was for a center stone that was smaller (1.0-1.3ct I think), so the price for a larger center stone will likely be higher, as more diamonds will be needed.

In the picture below, I had a little metal "donut" holding the asscher in place on my hand. Again, my finger is 4.25-4.5 size, so the halo is going to make it a bit larger all around (probably .9mm to 1.2mm on each side)

img_6839.jpg

Hope that helps!

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock

Oh, and I forgot to mention that there are other vendors who will do similar work for smaller budgets (such as engagementringsdirect.com, which does cast and hand forged work), but I have not met them personally.

Victor is a very nice person, super patient, and if you can afford him, I definitely recommend him.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are many pictures and videos of that step cut yellow sapphire around on PS. I think it is well cut and lovely. It is a bit light but still sunny and bright to stand on its own.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fmartin:

If its not too late, I recently had the honor and pleasure of a private viewing over 300 of Roger Dery's (Spectral Gems) stones. Roger has been in the business for decades and has a huge inventory of stones (you'd never know it; he is so self-effacing). Anyway, I am writing because he has had some stones in his inventory for a long, long time and has them priced accordingly. He had many amazing blue sapphires (which I still have to start a thread about) at crazy cheap prices, as well several yellow sapphires. I know for sure that not everything he has is on his website, so you will need to ask him. He also readily admits that his photos DO NOT show his stones to best advantage as he would rather people see his stones in hand anyway. So, If I recall he had what I would call a radiant/octagon/emerald cut yellow sapphire that was several carats, heat only, and it was gorgeous - full yellow color, no brown, bright and beautiful. If I were a yellow person, I would've bought it because it was beautiful bargain. If money is at all a consideration (can't remember whether it is), I would have Roger send you a few stones - that is, after you look at his decent but not great photos for size and shape. He would like you to be seriously on the market before he sends you stones, as like any vendor, he doesn't want to invest time in a customer that just wants to see some pretty stones, lol. That said, if you are serious, and the stones don't work out and you can explain why, he is incredibly gracious - with no pressure - about returns.

He is definitely someone to contact, as I was pretty surprised that these stones were priced lower than prevailing prices. Good luck!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

So, Minou -- for pete's sake, start a thread! I want to hear all -- I mean every. thing. about your visit to Roger!

--- Laurie

P.S. Sorry for the threadjack but I couldn't help it.

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

swissmiss|1395276475|3637632 said:
fmartin5|1395260013|3637478 said:
Hi Swissmiss! that is what i wanted to hear!! :appl: is victor the person who designs settings for africagems? whats considered an appropriate price for a setting as it pertains to this gem? thank you for helping

Glad to help! Victor is based in downtown LA and is not associated with AfricaGems. You will have to contact him directly to get an estimate. My recollection (from a while ago) was that a Emilya-style halo would be around $4,500-$5,000 depending on the options you chose. That estimate was for a center stone that was smaller (1.0-1.3ct I think), so the price for a larger center stone will likely be higher, as more diamonds will be needed.

In the picture below, I had a little metal "donut" holding the asscher in place on my hand. Again, my finger is 4.25-4.5 size, so the halo is going to make it a bit larger all around (probably .9mm to 1.2mm on each side)

img_6839.jpg

Hope that helps!

That looks huge!!! Not sure if its a good thing but im gonna purchase it anyway. I think itll be fine. Do you know victor? I may have him do the setting. Working with marc on the setting through email is a little tedious.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock

Remember that you have an evaluation period. If you find the stone too big or not to your liking, you may return it. There is no need to settle on something that won't be "right" for you and your fiance-to-be.

Victor is a wonderful man and is extremely patient. His work is beautiful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The thing I like about sapphires personally is that It allows you to go big. So I'm a fan of the size bit swissmiss is right utilize the inspection period make sure you love it.

And if your feeling like going with vc is a good idea for you I would recommend it. He is an amazing bench and will make you the perfect subtle halo to compliment thay stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

swissmiss|1395692994|3640571 said:
Remember that you have an evaluation period. If you find the stone too big or not to your liking, you may return it. There is no need to settle on something that won't be "right" for you and your fiance-to-be.

+2. Order the sapphire, play around with it and see if the colour and size fits your expectations. If it does, great. Move on to getting it set. If not, return it and keep looking.

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

Alright y'all!! so I received the stone last night and its beautiful. It is slightly big but i can work with it. Does anyone think I should get it appraised for fair market value?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results