shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing beads - engagement ring AND wedding band?

diamondflash

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm just in the process of purchasing a wedding band that matches her engagement ring.

We had 2 sizing beads added to the engagement ring, as recommended by a jeweler, as the ring was spinning on her finger - the jeweler said sizing beads would be better due to the weight of the diamond (not that big!) and the fact that her knuckles are larger than her fingers.

So, the question - does having the wedding band with the engagement ring change anything? I've heard that with the wedding band, sizing beads aren't as necessary, or we should at least move to one bead instead of two.

Also, we don't think we need sizing beads on the wedding band itself. Will it look strange if one ring has sizing beads and the other doesn't? We are having the wedding band custom made (as was the engagement ring) - we want the diamonds to line up on the pave bands. Will resizing one later alter how the diamonds line up?

Thanks so much!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Has she ever worn a ring with sizing beads?
When I got my halo setting (which is top-heavy and spins on my finger), I visited a handful of jewelers in an effort to alleviate the problem. Many of them said that sizing beads can be quite uncomfortable for some people. I also talked to some folks who wear rings with sizing beads and some felt the beads posed no discomfort, while others found them to be uncomfortable to wear on a daily basis. In the end, I decided that sizing beads were not worth the gamble for me. I had my ring sized down a quarter of a size and while my ring still spins a bit (especially when my hands are cold), I still think I made the right choice.
As far as your concerns, I don't necessarily think that just because you have the beads in one ring, that you have to have them in the other. You have to think of comfort and how sizing beads (in one or both rings) might affect that.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
sizing beads can easily be added after but I would try first without...
wedding rings don't have the weight of a center stone on top like an e ring does.
I have big knuckles and small finger and personally find sizing beads uncomfortable so I avoid when possible. It is actually easier "for me" to get the ring sized down a 1/4 size than it is to get those sizing beads over my knuckle.
there is my two cents fwiw :tongue:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My knuckles are HUGE compared to my finger size, like, a full size+(6.5 vs 5.25!) so I need to have beads or something in there or the ring won't even stay upright. Beads though are about my only solution because I cannot have gold in any variant touching my skin, and most options like horseshoes don't come in anything other than gold.

On my old stolen set I had beads in both my diamond wedding band and my ering. In my current set, I only have the beads in my ering. I haven't had as much trouble with spinning on this band as I did with the shared prong band, probably in part because this band is lighter and has smaller stones. I wear three rings, my ering, my plain band as a spacer and a diamond wedding band, channel set from Tiffany. Having all three definitely helps, and the beads definitely make a difference especially on cold days, or when my fingers are at their "normal" size. When I am warm, retaining water, or otherwise chub-finger, the e-ring is snuggish, but without the beads the ring would be all over the place.

If the beads are done right, she won't even notice them. I have NEVER felt them, not on my knuckles, not on my fingers.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I have sizing bridges in all three of my rings and I don't feel them at all, so I don't think beads will be a problem in her wedding band as well.

Although multiple rings can sometimes fit a little more snugly, it's not by much, so I think beads in the wedding band would be the way to go especially if she wants the pave to line up.

Also, whenever she might wear the wedding band alone, she'll probably need the beads to limit the spinning, especially in the winter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results