shape
carat
color
clarity

RUBY Without Strong Fluorescent Good or Bad?

rubydream

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

Please help me understand the attached language on the report.

Is it a bad sign?

Also brilliant cut step 3 and brilliant cut step 4

Which one is better?

Thank you!!!

So much to learn!!

screenshots_2014-03-31-16-12-33.png

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Iron inhibits fluorescece. Ruby that forms in basalt has higher iron content. Fluorescence is said to be what gives ruby it's trademark glow. Higher iron can also make it have more brown.

rubydream

Rough_Rock
athenaworth|1396312947|3644675 said:
Iron inhibits fluorescece. Ruby that forms in basalt has higher iron content. Fluorescence is said to be what gives ruby it's trademark glow. Higher iron can also make it have more brown.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm choosing between 2013 pigeon blood and a 2010 vivid red, same price, similar weight, both from Mozambique.
They look identical but vivid red has a ray of slight purple under natural light.

Should I go with the labeled pb, or should i go with the vivid? Maybe a re-eval would qualify the vivid to a pb?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure I know what pb means, but I couldn't give any advice without seeing the stones

rubydream

Rough_Rock
pic quality really bad, taken using cell phone (not iphone)
Maybe give a try? Natural light, cloudy day, among the two which one should i choose

_16398.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sorry, I can't tell from the picture. The stone on your hand has a glare and the pictures aren't close enough. I guess in the end it all depends on what you like.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1396312947|3644675 said:

Yes. and honestly, I would require a ruby to have fluorescence if I were to buy one, especially an expensive one.

rubydream

Rough_Rock
for some reason I thought the new version (after 08/2013) of GRS report only give opinion to Mozambique ruby
stating that it does not have fluoresce. I'm not sure if it is just the new language or maybe it is a problem?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry but the photograph is so poor that it tells us very little. Neither stones look vivid but that could be due to your inexperience with photographing gems. :)) Personally, my preference is a stone with fluorescence but buy what you like, not what the paper says. If one speaks to you more than the other, then pick that one. If neither floats your boat, return both and keep looking.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is mine and it has strong fluor - I, personally, look for fluor in gemstones,

fluor_ruby_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results